main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I liked the fact the Stormtroopers referred to it as "Mando" armor. At least that's what I remember hearing...

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Matt Skywalker and StrikerKOJ like this.
  3. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    "You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket..."

Gosh darn that's a good movie.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just watched both of the shorts.

Machine in the Ghost: I love the Kanan/Hera interaction. It made me look forward to reading A New Dawn. And Chopper--so that's how you say "**** you and the ship you flew in on" in droid-speak.

Art Attack: I laughed. Maybe I shouldn't make the comparison but I was so over the "Look! Feel sorry for the clones you lousy audience!" vibe from TCW that I appreciated incompetent stormtroopers with blue paint on their helmets.

That said, if we get multiple instances of Sabine spray painting something while stormtroopers stand behind her and say "Stop or we'll shoot. No, really, stop or we'll shoot in five seconds. OK, maybe ten seconds, but we're serious, stop painting or we'll shoot!" it will get old pretty quickly.

5. StrikerKOJ

Apr 21, 2014

Indeed. And it's not like some cop stumbled upon a teenager tagging in some alley or something. This kid is wearing body armor (the same type worn by deadly and feared mercenaries) and is vandalizing military equipment in a military base...

But I guess I'm just nit picking, right? :rolleyes:

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I loved "Stop doing things by the book. I read your book. It's...a short one." [face_laugh]

7. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    I didn't think it was as great as Machine in the Ghost, but still pretty good. It's just an action scene, and doesn't necessarily tell as much about her character as the clip with Kanan, Hera, and Chopper did. Would have liked to see Sabine interacting with another member of the Ghost crew (not via comlink).

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No idea what that's about. The only comments I've ever returned blue paint fire on are "It's not TCW!" comments. Duh, it's not TCW, 2013 called and wants its petitions back. Let's decide whether we love or hate this show on its own merits. kthxby

(And I don't even remember who made those comments, don't really care.)

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I've been struggling to articulate my reaction, and that's basically it--I didn't mind what actually happened, but it had a sort of Bugs Bunny quality that I can see grating on a lot of people if it's like that consistently. Of course, I knew Sabine would grate on people the second I saw her.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Competent females sadly have that effect on to many people

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Competent females only have that affect on me if the writers are obviously yelling "LOOK! It's a girl who kicks ass! I'm going to constantly tell you via the other characters how long-suffering she is and/or how much she kicks ass! And if you don't like her, you're sexist!"

The best competent female in Star Wars is Leia Organa. Probably always will be. Although Hera looks pretty awesome and I'm withholding judgment on Sabine at the moment.

12. StrikerKOJ

Apr 21, 2014

The nitpicking jab wasn't directed at you specifically, but at those who keep telling me (and others) to "calm down" or "it's not that bad", as if I am not supposed to form some sort of opinion based on these teaser trailers.

13. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I didn't mind Sabine in this clip. The spray painting was irritating, but I did enjoy some of her lines; my opinion on her will be determined by her portrayal in the actual show. If she always acts like that I will be bothered, but I won't mind every once in a while, if her spray painting is rare or after the explosion, it won't affect my opinion of her. Still I think it's kind of cartooney (I know this is a cartoon but I can't think of a better term), but not as bad as some of the things in TCW.

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    For me the interesting part is that Sabine is a teenager who acts like a teenager: taking stupid risks, taunting the opposition, running circles around yelling "nyeh nyeh" and ultimately humiliating them with an explosive that seems primarily composed of paint. She's the anti-Ashoka. Ashoka was a teenager who acted and sought to be an adult. Sabine seems content to remain a reckless youth.

As for whether she'll be doing this on a regular basis, I doubt it. The closest character comparison-wise I can think of (from what little we've seen of her thus far) is Robin in Young Justice. He ran around and made fools of otherwise competent soldiers as well, at least at the show's beginning. By the end of the first season, though, things had changed (no spoilers). Or, if you want to go with another of the show's Executive Producers, you could think of a lot of the young X-men in X-Men: First Class who are confident and a bit showy while they're all together under Professor X's leadership, but once the stuff starts hitting the fan, again, things change.

15. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I see what you're saying. It's a good point.

16. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The fact that one's opponents are incompetent does not make one competent.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Haha, that was wonderful. Sabine is irresponsible, reckless, and insane.

I love this show. It'll thoroughly discredit the Rebel Alliance by the time it's done, and it's basically the canonical last word on the Rebellion at this point. :D

DelRiego, Zorrixor and Cynical_Ben like this.
  18. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    They're just a small group on the larger movement. The real final word on the Rebellion will be the Star Wars comic series. Since that will involve the wider movement it will be a more accurate source. If anything this show will demonstrate a need for the rebels to cooperate with the Separatist Holdouts, this as the Tarkin preview showed, still exist in canon. Also, sometimes it's the reckless heros that end up doing the most good and being the most inspiring. Just look at Anakin Skywalker and how he impacted the galaxy. #JedifortheSepartistMovement.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They're independent for now, but they'll join the larger movement eventually -- the use of the Starbird symbol shows either affiliation with or affection towards the Rebel Alliance. Besides, whether or not their tactics can be imputed towards the umbrella organization is ultimately irrelevant. The show will have a larger audience than the comics ever will, and it'll show everyone once and for all what the Rebels really stand for: chaos and murder.

DelRiego and CooperTFN like this.
  20. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Eventually the characters will grow into truly inspirational symbols of the fight against tyranny. And honestly do youu believe that the Empire will be portrayed that well. If the two officers from the seven minute clip are any indication, the "most glorious" Empire will be portrayed as a group of bullies unfit to rule the galaxy. I think that's quite accurate, but I doubt you'll find much pleasure from of. Amyway people all be encouraged to cheer for these heroic rebels regardless of their recklessness. Again I'll point to Anakin Skywalker as a sign that people don't care about that.

I'd like to respond to your accusation about the rebels standing for chaos and murder, I'd like to respond by pointing out some of the Empire's atrocities: Alderaan, Count Vidian (if the AND preview is anything to go by), bullying shopkeepers, murdering children (Oder 66), and their treatment of non humans.

21. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014

I didn't hate the reboot but man the 1990 film has more heart and soul in it's first 4 minutes than the entirety of the new movie.

StrikerKOJ, Zorrixor and Zeta1127 like this.
  22. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

I think we all should remember that ROTJ had some of the empire's best troops getting over run by a bunch of teddy bears.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Alderaan was Tarkin's doing. What you call "bullying shopkeepers" I call "protecting consumers from dangerous unlicensed agricultural products which could carry all manner of diseases and pesticides." As for the murder of children, I am not going to wade into your religious squabbles -- leave your Jedi sorcery at the door.

Finally, there is no evidence that non-humans are being treated anything but fairly.

As for Count Vidian, it would be highly unfair to you were I to argue the point at this juncture. I will magnanimously offer you an opportunity to bring up the point again in September, in the proper thread that is designated for spoiler discussions.

WMIRTUTSF, Darth_Garak and DelRiego like this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He's baaaack.

25. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Teddy bears trained from birth to use the forest as their weapon, and to kill kill kill. Those teddy bears were the £%#&ing Vietcong.