main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Stackpole got a lot of flak for doing that. Excuse me, "a lot of antistarfighter floatsam."

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't really mind if you she has to fight bad people. Someone has to, after all. What I can't excuse is the way they made her use spray paint like some sort of air-headed child or pseudo-rebellious surf boarder. Sabine initially seemed like she was going to have a lot more substance to her than that.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I am clearly showing my age...

What the heck is this "totes" word? :p

Jedi Ben, JediMatteus and Gamiel like this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "Totally". :p

Literally the first picture of her:

[​IMG]

I don't know you as well as I do Jello, so I can't tell if you're trolling or just really bad at this.

5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    She has hair highlights? Made of unnatural colors?

I want to vomit.

CooperTFN likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I totes never thought so.

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What is your problem with spray paint?

Kablob likes this.
  9. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    It's like it's staring into my soul....

10. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah, haven't you ever heard of Banksy?
    Besides, she is a bit more literally rebellious than most rebellious teenagers. :p

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    When has any worthwhile piece of art ever included spray paint? It's for robotic assembly lines to put a color palette on mass produced trinkets. If one really wants to put a piece of artwork on a building, its called a fresco, and it should be properly commissioned and lovingly painted. Spray paint lends itself to all the worst and most essential qualities of the modern subversive: hasty, slipshod, toxic, and low effort. I really don't see how anyone could appreciate them besmirching Sabine with this "hobby."

Starkeiller likes this.
  12. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    New short was entertaining enough. But it makes me worry we won't ever be seeing competent stormtroopers in this show. I know it's become a joke ingrained in our culture, but they really weren't all feckless stooges in the original films.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In all honesty, at this point, we have more evidence of Stormtroopers being mooks than their being elite troops. The most competent one in the OT is the one who clips Leia in the shoulder during RotJ, and that's (is it still?) a member of the 501st. And I'm not expecting the Empire to post their best troops all over the place, especially when it comes to a remote post like Lothal. Leave it to the officers to be competent, the rank-and-file soldiers are chosen for their ability to be loyal and follow orders.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh come on, if the films were a perfectly accurate representation of those events, then so many people wouldn't have been clamoring for what the EU did to fix the PT or why the film's make the GFFA out to be extremely small or a host of other things.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Nep, those on Endor are dispatched by the Emperor, Vaders on Bespin, Hoth and in ANH are the 501st. :)

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    If only Thrawn or Mara had been there they would have won :p

17. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I am highly sceptical that a Disney cartoon aimed at children, in which another character uses a catapult, is somehow showing off the deeper meaning of spray painting and inviting comparisons with Banksy "art", who is overrated anyway in my opinion

19. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I couldn't disagree more; I live in a city that's covered in street art. Some of it is ugly, gaudy or crass, but some of it is vibrant, touching, meaningful or hilarious. It gives my city life and color, and it gives a voice to those who might otherwise never be heard. If they cleaned it all up overnight this city would be a much less interesting and joyful place.
    That being said, I haven't found any reason to care about the show's Hot Topic designs yet. They're clearly well-designed to sell to preteen fans on t-shirts, but I'm crossing my fingers to see something that seems more like an artistic expression of the character in the future.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You do know that it is the artist that decide the essential qualities of his work? You can just be as "hasty, slipshod, toxic, and low effort" with other form of paint.
    I would not really compare Sabine and Banksy since they have rather different stiles, among other things so Bansky work only with black while Sabine seems to really care about the colours and seems to use free hand while Banksy is stencilling.

Darkwriter likes this.
  21. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah, my point was that art with spray paint is an actual thing.

22. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    they're all property defacers.

Barriss_Coffee and StrikerKOJ like this.
  23. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

I don't have the mental clarity at the moment to expand on my thoughts, but suffice to say, I agree with you.

Not knocking spray paint, I use it for many things. And of course people can paint cool pictures with a spray can, but in my mind, the negatives from defacing/vandalize property outweigh the (arguable) benefits from the very few that are capable of creating (subjectively) beautiful images with spray paint. I also live in a city that is covered with spray paint, but I don't see "art", I see thugs marking their territory. Even if the "artist" had nothing but good intentions, and even if the "art" was the most amazing picture in the world, keep it off my wall. I don't empathize with the culture surrounding spray paint (in my area), and as such this character vandalizing things as a form of teenage angst is a little irksome to me.

On the other hand, I completely understand the intent of the show (being named REBELS and all), and the heroine vandalizing the property of the villains isn't that big of a deal from a narrative stand point. While I'm not a fan of the spray paint, Sabine's lack of seriousness was what really took me out of that particular preview. As others have touched on, it was a very toon-town sort of tone, which is not what I look for in my Star Wars.

DelRiego likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Mandalorian more like Vandalorian lol

25. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Anything can be made into art. However, for every Bansky (whose art is being vandalised now, I hear) there are a million vandals with spray paint cans. The biggest problem is that we have placed "expression" at the heart of art, so that we have made it autistic. "Expressing yourself" is not enough to be an artist (or to qualify for anything else really).

But blowing up fighter planes is the Lord's work, so I can forgive her for being artistically misguided. :p
    I thought they just misspelt "toots".