main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the captured Neimoidan leaders told them? They know Maul's name at least.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That's a good explanation, I'll accept that. The rest about him being chopped in half still stands though.

spicer likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Mentioning Sidious would have been suicide for them, but Maul was another thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the context of an EU that had a Sith lord survive as a living head after being beheaded (Simus) Maul's survival doesn't seem so bad.

The comic The Sith Hunters covered what happened to Maul after he fell into that pit.

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lol living heads. I'm glad iv not seen that, it's straight out of Futurama

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And the brains-in-jars B'omarr Monks are still canon too.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just mostly ;). Mia simply articulated the specifics I was referring to far better than I did. :)

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The Jedi found Maul's ship and his name was written on all his underwear.

Kylun likes this.
  10. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Darth Sion was literally falling apart and he held his body together using the Dark side of the force. I took it that it was that same element of the Dark Side that Maul tapped into to keep his squishy parts from atrophying (sp?) and drying up from the inside out...

A Lovable Jerk likes this.
  11. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Son of Dathomir makes clear that some 'essence of Talzin' had been dwelling in Maul, almost Horcrux-like. Her power sustained him, and then later, his self served as a means to sustain her. Weird parasitic/symbiotic relationship using a Dathomirian approach to the Dark Side of the Force to tap into powers some would consider to be... unnatural.

DelRiego likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That reminds me, I need to pick up some Essence of Talzin for my spice rack.

13. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I don't like it. It's been known to make my ground beef get up and go on a rampage of revenge.

Barriss_Coffee, Kylun, Vthuil and 5 others like this.
  14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I thought the Jedi, canonically, had learned all about the Sith in the wake of the Naboo crisis from the TF.

15. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That's an empty caveat given what we see in actually labeled science fiction that George "borrowed" from (Dune, Lensman etc.). Star Wars is as "grounded" as those works.

16. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Makes sense they'd feel free to namedrop Maul, because, well, as far as they knew, he was dead. And it could plausible be all they knew. Namedropping Sidious would be a bad, bad move - one that is dropped on Obi-Wan by Dooku for seemingly the first time a decade later.

BobaMatt likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The science and technology are there as window-dressing though -- instead of swords we have beams of light, etc. what's important is internal consistency.

Suppose we don't know the exact mechanism of the magic stick. Is it out of keeping with technology and/or the Force as we know it in Star Wars? I don't think so.

The EU had it so that Yoda messed with Luke's instruments on the way to Dagobah. I see this as a similar thing, but through some stick ritual instead.

Alternatively there's a technical explanation --- the magic stick is a beacon of some sort instead of a Force thing. That'd fit with my discussion with Mia yesterday.

The question isn't "how exactly does it work" -- I can watch SW without wondering how the hell a beam of light deflects another beam of light -- but does it work narratively. And I think it works as well as any other. SW is space opera and fantasy, not sci fi.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I guess, for me, it would have seemed to make more sense if the staff put Zeb into a trance and Zeb, in his trance, safely piloted the ship than that electricity took over the ship's systems.

Unless, of course, "as the ancients used it" meant that the staff doubles as a navcomputer, which for all I know is possible.
    Absolutely - the Jedi, of course, always figured there was one more out there, though.

Kylun and fett 4 like this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Save for when Dooku interrogates Gunray to find Sidious' identity, which I am unsure as to whether it happened before or after he joined the Sith.

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Zebs into Trance is he, I can buy that too
    Maybe this is the new planet that wasn't shown too ;)

CooperTFN that maybe but that's still tame compared to Lando who actually went all the way and wore Han's clothes and probably more besides

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think it feels more counterintuitive than it has to because we're used to seeing the bo-rifle as just a weapon, whereas if Zeb had been carrying a little flash drive around his neck and plugged it into the Ghost we would happily assume it had software on it that overrode the Ghost's navicomputer, shields, etc. Which IMO is more or less what happens, just in a more abstractly technological way than, say, Artoo plugging into a data port in the films. And Zeb may well have known it could function in that way without realizing it had any relationship to Lirasan.

Nah, Lando goes commando.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If it was just the nav computer aspect I'd probably question it less since we saw its map related use during the ritual- but it put out enough energy to make the ship near-invincible to turbolasers and gravity to a degree that a larger ship with a higher energy output could not match. In a handheld staff.

If Kallus isn't trying to trick out his next command ship with his own staff next time, well, there's a few Imperial engineers working on a legacy project that would be very interested in such things...

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't think it did anything to the turbolasers directly; that was the effect of the black holes. How it made the ship immune to them is a bigger question, but in a universe with ubiquitous antigravity I have no problems believing it's at least possible--if unusual.

Contessa likes this.
  24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Tell me another story of the Shepard.

25. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002