main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - Rebels

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by DieWompRatDie, May 26, 2013.

1. Kal-El_Kenobi

Kal-El_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Its more about the FEEL of Star Wars, some of the stories of clone wars was good, but we were promised it would be about the clones. This is exactly what Star Wars has been mostly about. Rebellion vs. Empire.

2. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
  3. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    What did everyone think about the tree or the cave in this week's episode? I'm surprised Kanan didn't tell him "your weapons, you will not need them". Overall, fun episode, I'm sure it will grow on me in future viewings. I liked Ezra's vision of going back to the ghost and hearing the crew gossip about him. Also, liked Frank Oz Yoda, but my daughter asked whats wrong with his voice. Finally, did he really just make a lightsaber out of a staple gun?

DieWompRatDie and nnaydolem like this.
  4. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    it's called getting older....

5. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    The voice was perfect, loved hearing the genuine Frank Oz Yoda voice. I think they are just used to the Tom Kane clone wars version vs empire version.

nnaydolem likes this.
  6. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    No, getting older is having a strong feeling about the episode's plot development, and then completely forgetting what your point was before you get around to posting! Oy

nnaydolem likes this.
  7. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    How about the most recent episode?

Plus side: I liked seeing this early look at Lando's escapades. The setup dovetails nicely with his history of gambling and it was interesting to see what is presumably the beginning of his foray into mining. (Though who knows, maybe he had other mining ventures before now and is just setting up something new here.)

Negative side: I felt like his character was a little TOO overdone. It left me with the impression that they were trying so hard to make him "Lando"-ish that they carried it a bit too far. It ended up feeling more like a caricature than a characterization. A little lighter would have done better IMO.

gra-co_o_hun likes this.
  8. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Double post - sorry!

9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I never really liked the Rebellion era that much. It was all too black and white, the Empire was evil, the Rebellion was good. All apart from Vader in ROTJ, which at least tried to be a bit more ambiguous, even if it made Vader look weak in my eyes. At least the prequels have some shades of grey, such as the corruption in the senate and the Jedi council.

10. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    So You think Vader was Weak because He wouldn't kill his own Son? That's funny... it actually shows incredible STRENGTH, giving into Evil is weak. The one great thing about Anakin, like so many Mythological Heroes throughout cultures and history, is that when they do fall from Grace, they are restored by Redemption, as was Vader. Let us not forget that Humanity surrounds the original OT which is part of why the OT beats down the PT. IMO

Did everybody see "Call To Action"? Whoa, that was a bit of a nail biter but I loved that Tarkin made an appearance and what a wonderful characterized tribute they did to Peter Cushing, so cold and calculating. I hope to see Him more often throughout the series... and that was quite an execution during the interrogation of the two imperial officers on Lothal. Very Grim. :cool:

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  11. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005

Agreed T, I think they poured it on a little thick but it was worth seeing some gaps bridged here and there. :D

12. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Not yet! That episode won't air on TV until Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing Tarkin. Thanks for the heads up on the execution though. :p

13. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Oh CRAP AHPR, I thought I was behind everyone else cuz Amazon Prime has a licensing issue and I get them later than the original broadcasting. Sorry Buddy!:oops:

14. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    No worries. :) I enjoyed the episode very much and I think knowing how the interrogation would end actually added to my anticipation of the scene.

I think the show is great, but I'm beginning to sense a struggle with the writing very similar to what happened in The Clone Wars. I remember hearing Filoni and crew comment about trying to make the villains (like Cad Bane or General Grievous) believable, while still failing constantly so that our heroes would live to fight another day, and another.... and another.
    Yes, the crew of the Ghost are the good guys, but we know they don't change much because Rebels takes place before ANH, when the Empire is still clearly in charge.
    I'm glad the episode didn't end too well for the good guys, and I'm curious to see how the writing continues with both sides seeming to succeed and fail at the same time.

15. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    That was such a great ending arc for the first season! No spoilers here, but if anybody's on the fence about this show, this ending arc proves how awesome the show as a whole has been so far.

The two big character reveals are surprising as it happened at the end of season one. I expected more of a slow burn with big reveals happening in later seasons. I'm very excited for what they've done and to be able to see the Season 2 premiere at Celebration. I'll totally be there.

16. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Definitely want to see the premiere at Celebration. That was a great finale.

17. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I finally caught up with the end of the season yesterday.

It was nice to see Asoka, and bringing her in definitely makes me wonder where they will go from here. I also have a question about that ending. It seemed to me that Kanan didn't recognize Asoka? If he had, I would have expected a stronger reaction. Or, you know, any reaction to seeing her. I know the Jedi Order had been pretty big and not everyone knew everyone else, but Asoka, as General Skywalker's padawan, was fairly in the spotlight during the Clone Wars.

The fledgling Rebellion seems to have decided to put a great deal of importance on Kanan and Ezra. Is it because they're Jedi and symbols, or because of the message they sent out?

What will happen going forward with Asoka? Yes, she left the Jedi Order. But that doesn't mean she doesn't know how to be a Jedi. I can't help but feel that she should be able to contribute in this regard... even if she isn't out there fighting on a regular basis, she has a lot of the knowledge. At least as much, if not probably more, than Kanan. So that makes me question again, why the importance of Kana and Ezra? They aren't the only Jedi left.

Which leads me to wonder... is there something else that Asoka is doing that is more important? It has always seemed odd, not to mention gender biased, that Luke had Obi-wan watching over him on Tatoonine but Leia was hidden on Alderaan without the same benefit. Back in the day, the real-world story decision probably was gender biased. Luke was the guy and hero, whereas Leia was the girl and the princess. But I wonder, could they be ret-conning that now? We know that Asoka has been working with Bail on the beginnings of the Rebellion. Could she be Obi-wan's equivalent on Alderaan, watching over Leia? That responsibility could be considered more important than working as a Jedi for the Rebellion.And in the meantime, she fills the role of "Fulcrum"... an essential job, but still less likely to draw the wrong kind of attention than a Jedi.

Of course, another obvious question is whether she is in the know about Darth Vader's identity. Did she get the real story, or the "Darth Vader killed Anakain" version? Has she been in contact with Obi-wan and Yoda at all in the time since Order 66?

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't think he's weak because he can't kill Luke, he seems weak because he's so indecisive through the whole thing. One minute he's fighting and taunting Luke, the next he just stands and dithers while the emperor fries Luke. He feels quite ineffectual until the Throne Room scene.

19. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    That's called "inner struggle."

SITH__CHICK likes this.
  20. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Rebels season two news! From Entertainment Weekly:

Rebels returns on June 20 with a special one-hour movie event called Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal. The rest of the episodes air later this fall...
    http://community.ew.com/2015/05/07/star-wars-rebels-season-2/

So we'll get to see what those lucky devils saw at Celebration Anaheim and then we'll all be at the same spot until the Fall.

And here's the teaser for season two. This show is so awesome and I highly recommend it to everybody who like Star Wars. Season 1 is available via iTunes and Amazon.com

nnaydolem likes this.
  21. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Season 2 premier was awesome!
    everyone dies!
    hahaha

22. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Just meeting around with the spoiler tag. Wasn't sure it would actually work as I am posting via Forum Runner. The hidden message can actually be seen in plain text when looking at the list of threads.

All kidding aside, I am really looking forward to seeing season 2 start up next month, quality Star Wars in our near future.

23. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Anyone know how I can catch up on the 1st season for free. I have Disney XD subscription, but on demand is missing some of the episodes...

24. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    As silly as this sounds set the dvr...seriously they replay them all the time...i think i have the whole season not in order but because it's recorded them whenever it's on

25. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

If you're looking for the short, short version of season 1, StarWars.com has a 22 minute summary of the season here: http://www.starwars.com/video/star-wars-rebels-the-ultimate-guide