main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN STAR WARS Reference in "x" T.V or movie

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    I thought this might be a fun thread to document any STAR WARS references anybody hears in a sitcom, T.V. show or movie. This one comes from TFN in regards to "Angel":

Once again Joss Whedon reminds us all why he is THE king of Star Wars Refferances. On last night's episode of Angel, (from parent show,Buffy) made an appearance in LA to help The Angel gang re-ensoul the now evil, Angelus. After doing some catching up, Willow tells Wesley (Buffy and fellow Slayer Faith's former Whatcher) after he tells her how his life has changed since leaving Sunnydale, that he seems to have given in to the "grumpier side of the Force".

Last season, when Willow went over to "the dark-side" they were calling her "Darth Rosenberg"

Buffy, Angel, the Simpson, that 70's show are proliferated with Star Wars references.

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Stargate: SG-1
    "1969"

Col. O'Neill: "Actually, my name's not Kirk... it's Skywalker. Luke Skywalker."

3. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    Simpsons episode from the 1st season, when Bart declares war on Nelson and the town bullies, at the end of the show Bart says:
    "No war is good with the following three exceptions; the War of Indipendence, World War 2 and the Star Wars Trilogy"
    Later
    Hippie Trooper Bert
    TK-7528

4. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Last week on "The Simpsons", Lenny and Carl were dueling with lightsabres. "I say The Phantom Menace sucked more." "And I say that Attack of the Clones sucked more."

5. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Later on in Stargate SG-1's 1969:

Jack: We came to Earth a long, long time ago...
    Daniel: From a galaxy far, far away...

In the episode "Ascension" Teal'c and Jack crash Carter's house while she has an alien guest over. They've rented Star Wars and want to watch it with Carter. Jack says that Teal'c's seen it ten times, so it must be good. Teal'c's expression reveals that he really loves Star Wars. Carter says "You've really never seen Star Wars?" Jack responds with "Ah, you know me and sci-fi."

Back to the Future:
    1) Marty McFly: Silence Earthling! My name is Darth Vader. I am an extra-terrestrial from the planet Vulcan!
    2) George: Last night Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't ask Lorainne out that he'd melt my brain!

From E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
    1) When E.T. first comes into Elliot's room (following the trail of Reese's Pieces) the Kenner Darth Vader's Star Destroyer playset is seen in the background.
    2) When Elliot fakes sick, he shows a bunch of SW figures to E.T. (Lando, Greedo, Walrusman, Blue Snaggletooth, and Boba Fett)
    3) E.T. is enchanted by a person dressed as Yoda for Halloween. Yoda's theme makes an appearance here.

TFN just recently noted that the in the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series "Children of DUNE" (an adaptation of Frank Herbert's novels Children of Dune and Dune Messiah) contained aura-besh cahracters in the displays of their electrobinoculars.

Speaking of the Simpson's, that show is full of Stanley Kubrick references as well. I used to know of a website that had info on all the references.

6. TK-6873

TK-6873 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    In a recent episode of "Yes, Dear" there was a guy that kept all his SW toys in diaramas in a storage unit hidden from his wife. He also had a really bad suit of stormtrooper armor and Chewbacca costume. No doubt, this character was a slur at us as well as the 501st.

7. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    i saw a "chappelle's show" a few weeks ago that had an entire star wars segment.they had vader talking about being molested by maul and he was in the shadows during the interview.i could still tell he was wearing a reg. don post helmet.
    then it showed a star trek dude on the street talking to a camera,then maul ran up behind him and gave him a wedge-ee(get it)
    it was pretty funny,which is rare for that show.

8. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    In tonight's episode of Alias the computer techno intel guy tells his boss, "After searching their system, I can give you this good news, the Death Star Plans are not in the main computer." :)

9. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    This past Sunday at WrestleMania XIX, somebody in the crowd had a HUGE sign with the Mandalorian logo on it (the one that's on Boba Fett's armor). You could see it throughout the event. Worlds collide!!!

10. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    on the Premier episode of WB's "Black Sash", a martial art student asks his instructor if that instructor's master was like his Yoda, or something in that sense.

There was a new show, "Lost at Home". The dad was cooking breakfast when his son enters the kitchen and says "Dad?" To which he replied "Yes, it is me Luke, your father." The kid looked at him weird and said "My name's not Luke..."

11. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    At the beginning of Toys Story 2 Rex is playing the "Buzz Lightyear" video game, when "Buzz" reaches the power source (which just happens to look like the core of Death Star II), it sounds just like lightsabers. Later on Buzz confronts Emperor Zurg and yells out "you killed my father" to which Zurg replies: "no, I am your father" followed by Buzz yelling:NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Later
    Bert
    TK-7528

12. TK-6873

Jan 17, 2003
    Ok, this is way off the mark, but has anybody seen "The Majestic"? I'm not a big Jim Carrey fan, but I had to confirm the rumor I'd heard. About 3/4 thru the movie, Carrey is watching a movie he had written, on the big screen, "Sand Pirates of the Sahara". This big screen production was obviously a fake title & movie made only to fit the script. Anyway, Bruce Campbell is the hero of Carrey's flick and he's trying to steal the same idol that Indiana Jones was after in the opening of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

13. mindphunk

mindphunk Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2003
    In the 3rd season of "Friends" Ross asks Rachel to wear the Metal bikini and she complies.

14. Silentdarth

Silentdarth Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2003
    Who wouldn't want to see Rachel in a metal bikini?

15. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Just so long as Ross' Mom's head is not super imposed on it. EESH! :p

There was a couple of Star Wars references on the season finale of Friends. It was the one where they all went to Barbados. Ross just lost his speech he is suppose to deliver and Joey says use his speech which his uses at auditions. Ross says he doesn't want to use his speech because Joey uses Star Wars dialouge. About a minute later Joey says a galaxy far, far away.

16. TK-6873

Jan 17, 2003
    Check out the stage play version of Luke & Vader's saber battle from TESB in "Reign of Fire".

Refering to Ross' mom on friends: That's Marlo Thomas, the original "That Girl" from the late 60's TV show. Believe it or not, she was HOT in her day. Personally, I prefer Chandler's mom, Morgan Fairchild....who I've seen naked.

17. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    took the kids to see daddydaycare.it was actually pretty funny.there's a scene in there where one guy has on a cheap vader helmet and a plastic saber.all the daycare kids come out with brown robes on and sabers and beat the snot out of him.then later they are at a carnival and the guy is painting the kids faces.one kid gets his done just like darth maul.

i was also watching "jimmy neutron" with the kids and the dad was telling jimmy to clean his room or something because it was a mess.he said something to jimmy about luke skywalker cleaning his room.then he said"yea,the force was with that kid"

18. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    was watching lizzie mcguire tonight with the kids.one of the students in her class wrote a paper about a book i believe and the teacher gave him a good grade for his comparison of the main character of the book and jabba the hutt.

19. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    Saw a cartoon tonight on Comedy Central called "Undergrads" that had a ton of Star Wars references. Whoever writes this show knows there stuff too. There were references to Kenner and Galoob and several other SW collectibles, and lots of good quotes as well. One of the guys was talking to his mom on the phone and said "I'm fine...we're all fine here...how are you?" just like Solo on the Death Star! I looked this show up on the Internet Movie Data Base and it turns out it's actually been around for a couple of years.

And did anybody see the HILARIOUS bit that they did on Late Night with Conan O'Brien last summer during the opening of Attack of the Clones? I had heard about it but just recently got to see it. They sent Triumph, the insult comic dog ("...for me to poop on!!!") out to make fun of all the people waiting in line, and let me just say that there were a lot of easy targets!

Lots of out of shape, sad looking Jedi Knights and people that generally were just stuck for an answer. A stormtrooper showed up and when Triumph asked him a question, the guy answered like a 1950s robot. Naturally Triumph's response was "why...are..you...talking...like...a...robot???" [face_laugh]

Then he asked a guy dressed as Vader what his chest box was for. The guy replied "it controls my breathing". Then Triumph asked "which one of these buttons do you push to have your parents come and pick you up???" [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I won't even start to touch what he said to a pregnant lady who was waiting in line...but if you're dying to know, just send me a private message. ;)

To top it all off, he brought in a guy dressed up as Mr. Spock who flipped off the entire line to a round of "boos"!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

This was absolutely hilarious--I had tears in my eyes as I watched it!

20. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah, that was a great show! I once had the video file for that episode but have since lost it.

What makes all that even more funny is that most of those people in line were from the New York FanForce!! HAHAHAHA!!! [face_laugh]

21. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Mike: There was one Conan they did that eventually had Yoda & a Stormtrooper making out. Never saw the episode, but Comedy Central uses it occasionally for their Conan ads.

Undergrads was an awesome show, but only comes on at 12:30 am (Sunday night / Monday AM). It only existed for one season because it was the winner of a contest, but one guy (the creator) basically does all the voices. The character "Gimpy" is the ultimate SW nerd who viciously attacks anyone who even tries to make a Star Trek reference. In one of the first episodes he converted all the nerds at his MIT-type university who were Star Trek fans and took over the group by saying, "Gentleman, you must learn about the Force..." It's a great show and I wish Comedy Central would throw the guy a budget to create more episodes. MTV (where the show first aired) couldn't do it since they're constantly coming up with show ideas and then rerunning them a 1000 times. See the website www.undergrads.tv/main.html.

Other late night Comedy Central shows with SW references include Clerks, Jon Lovitz's The Critic, and the late UPN show Mike & Gary. One of the best references from Clerks was a scene in a courtroom where they started calling up film directors, and George Lucas was the first one:

Randal Graves: Do you think Phantom Menace is as good of a movie as Empire?
    George Lucas: Well, certainly, I think it's the best movie I've made yet.
    Randal Graves: Permission to treat this witness as hostile. Mr. Lucas, how do you explain that in Star Wars Obi-Wan tells Luke when he met his father he was a great pilot, but in Menace he's just a little boy?
    George Lucas: Well, my kids thought...
    Randal Graves: And how come Obi-Wan tells Luke that Yoda is the Jedi that trains him, but in the movie Liam Neeson trains him?
    George Lucas: Um, well, the power of myth...
    Randal Graves: Isn't it true you knew this was a bad movie, that you wrote it over a weekend but told people you had it written for years?
    Lawyer: Objection! The pod race was pretty cool.

Now, none of this is to mention the great bits that appear on Saturday Night Live. If you haven't seen it, you need to catch the SNL rerun when Kevin Spacey hosted and they did the 20th Anniversary SW screen test videos. Spacey played most of the roles, but among the impressions were: Chris Walken as Han, Barbra Streisand, Walter Matthau as Obi-Wan, Jack Lemon as Chewie, and Richard Dreyfuss as C-3PO. I must see skit for anyone. Comedy Central runs this one a lot. It was kinda like the Pulp Fiction screen test they did on the Samuel L. Jackson SNL episode.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the great work of filmmaker Kevin Smith (featured in an Insider article about a year ago, & was the host of the Fan Film awards last year). He's famous for putting in SW refrences in all of his films. Clerks (the film that inspired the TV show above) had the great monologue about the innocent contractors that were killed during the destruction of the Death Star. Mallrats had Silent Bob constantly trying to use the Force. Chasing Amy contained the discussion that nicknamed the first films as the Holy Trilogy. There was tons of SW discussion when the angry black artists discussed the representation of blacks in SW and other mediums. Dogma had Jay saying he felt like they were in that crazy bar (Mos Eisley). Finally, Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back beyond the title features a lightsaber fight with Mark Hamill himself. There are more refrences in each of his films beyond what I've listed above. I better stop for now. :D

22. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    We do periodically mention them, Jay & Silent Bob Strike back is one big Star Wars joke. Bong Sabers UP! :p However, its really nothing recent.

"Triumph asked "which one of these buttons do you push to have your parents come and pick you up???" "

The guy dressed as Vader should have played along and said, "Oh! That button is in my glove. (Sticks out his middle finger) and says, "Here, pull my finger." [face_laugh] That would have shut them right up. ;)

23. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Sorry, I just noticed no one had mentioned Kevin's films in this thread. Nevertheless, The Simpsons have to be the series with the most refrences. Between Ralph breaking his Wookie to Homer ruining the ending of ESB there seems to rarely be at least one refrence in a show. Well, that may be overstating it, but at least one for ever other show. Is there another property (film or TV) that refrences more? (Maybe "Undergrads" on a per capita basis) :D

24. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    Then there was the time that I beleive it was Martin Price won the science fair with his collection of original carded SW figures! [face_laugh]

25. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    That wasn't Martin... it was Ralph. Same episode he "bent his Wookiee".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.