Nash, TN STAR WARS Reference in "x" T.V or movie

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinsAngel71 Jedi Padawan

Okay I know this is supposed to be SW references in tv shows or movies but I have a song reference. It is by a band called The Bloodhound Gang and the song is called Fire Water Burn. "cause I am kind of like Han Solo, always stroking my own Wookie"
  2. senator__padme Jedi Knight

star 1
    Luke and Lorelai Gilmore Girls had a big debate about Episode III a few weeks ago. Here's the transcript:

LUKE: And they have those flashlight thingies.

LORELAI: Yeah. That's the right name for those. Flashlight thingies.

LUKE: And Jedi powers of mind control, they can move things, so they're telekinetic, and they hover their jet saucers over molten lava, and they jump and fly around like they're in Cirque du Soleil. But what gives one Jedi knight the edge over the other, huh? The ultimate advantage? They stand on a mound of dirt and declare, "You can't win. I've got the high ground."

LORELAI: Dude, if he said it, that's the way it is. It's a fictional world.

LUKE: He's four feet up a little slope! And that wipes out all the other guy's powers? The fly, jump around, move things with his brain, use the little flashlight thingy?

LORELAI: You have got to learn the right term for that flashlight thingy.

LUKE: This has been bugging me.

LORELAI: For months! We saw that movie months ago! You've got to let it go!

LUKE: I can't!

LORELAI: George Lucas owns San Francisco now. That's a city. You can't argue with a man who owns a city.

LUKE: All the other guy has to do is scurry on to land and run up the hill a bit, and then he has the high ground. I mean, they can fly jet pods, but they can't scurry?

LORELAI: Go on a website or something, okay? 'Cause there are thousands - no, millions of your kind out there debating all the minutiae of not just this Star Wars movie, but every Star Wars movie.

LUKE: You drag me to see these movies.

LORELAI: No, you wanted to see that movie.

LUKE: So I can't critique it because I wanted to see it?

LORELAI: That's how it works.
  3. Lord_Kosh Force Ghost

star 2
    If "The Simpsons" has the most references, "The Family Guy" would rank about second folloed by "Futurama" and "South Park", at least in cartoons. I'll post them as I remember them.... :)

Here are a few of them:

FG: When Peter saves the bartender from a fire while blind for a time, he is awarded by Mayor Adam West. The ceremony at the end of the episode is from "A New Hope" with Lois as Leia at the top of the steps outside the Greek-style city hall building. The crowd was lined up like the rebel troops. Peter is walking down the middle of the crowd, followed by Chewie. When Peter is at the steps, Chewie growls and both facing crowds turn to face the top of the steps. He is given a medallion, of course, and nods to 3PO to the side. As the crowd cheers and claps, R2 enters the scene beeping.

FG: Stewie's imagination constantly features Star Wars scenarios or parts. Included is one scene where Stewie is wearing Luke's fighter helmet.

FG: After Lois shoplist--including priceless artwork and coutless other large items, Stan -- the cop next door -- finally discovers her secret. They flee..and eventually the family is chased into the sewer. Stan takes control of a police helicopter and blasts open a manwhole to fly in. As he does, you see a TIE fighter in front of him which he shoots down with the machine guns on the helicopter.

FG: Peter is insecure about his man hood after comparing "parts" with his son Chris, so he joins the gun club. In the shooting range, you see Peter shooting at a target...a few others panning to the side do the same...followed by a blind man shooting the side of a barn...and then a stormtrooper shooting at a cut-out of Luke in ANH -- and missing him completely.

Futurama: With threat of invasion coming, the citizens are drafted. The Planet Express ship among several others are heading from Earth towards the alien ships. It looks just like the X-wings/Y-wings heading from Yavin IV to Death Star I. The "camera" focuses on the gun turret for the Planet Express ship and Fry is there with a rebel pilot helmet excited to shoot them down.

Futurama: Professor Farnsworth is taken to the retirement planet...which on the outside looks like the Death Star.

Futurama: The "Brain Sphere" closely resembles the Death Star.

Futurama: alot of the robots aside from Bender look like battle droids or th little droids in Ep I that Jar Jar had to tap on the head (I forgot what they're called...).

"Robot Chicken" on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim sometimes includes SW, too.

Have any of you seen "Hardware Wars"?
  4. Lord_Kosh Force Ghost

star 2
    ...Oh and "That 70's Show" features a costumed scene in which Eric (Luke) is trying to win Donna (Leia...since they don't know they are siblings yet). Either Kelso or his older brother was Vader--who was trying to take Leia away. I think Red was Han, but it has been some time since I saw the episode.

Eric really does reference SW in almost every episode...at least the first few seasons.

One or more "Simpsons" episodes play the Imperial March theme when Mr. Burns enters the scene.

Homer rescues Mark Hammil(sp?) complete with Luke's wardrobe in another episode.

In "Family Guy", Stewie runs away from home. He gets to the airport and is stopped by a cop/security officer who talks to him about facing his fears. Stewie thinks it over and complements him...saying how he agrees and how the officer should be proud of himself-- then Stewie zaps the guard with a lasergun as he shouts "....while you are frozen in carbonite!" You hear a loud thud, and the camera shows the block-o-guard.

In "Futurama", the police have "lightsabers" of a sort. They turn it on like a lightsaber, but instead of being a cutting blade...it is a pole. they use it to bash people on the head.

A few days ago on David Spade's new show on Comedy Central, he was talking to "a big fan" about seeing Ep III. He was describing the interview with a Lucas Films rep and faded into a "dream/memory" in which he was playing football in a field with Vader, Chewie, and a few other characters. They played video games in which Vader used the force to crash the guy's ship on the TV screen(cheating). Chewie and the guy arm-wrestled while Vader spectated. It was pretty funny for the few minutes it ran.

:}
  5. obi-TN Jedi Knight

star 2
    In last Wednesday's "Veronica Mars," Logan said to Veronica, "Mars-y Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope." Or something very similar.
  6. Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA

star 6
    The "Family Guy" from 11/20 had Peter Griffin leading a choir of Sandpeople. He said something to startle them. Obi-Wan Kenobi came on and said "Sandpeople are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers." Peter said "Ooh... that'll give us a richer harmony!" Obi-Wan replied, "Yes, it'll sound great."
  7. Lord_Kosh Force Ghost

star 2
    Yes, I saw that one. It was pretty good.
  8. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    The 'Family Guy Presnts Stewie Griffin Untold Story' DVD has a couple of things in it.

Peter is talking about things that "grinds his gears" and mentions "when I can't find the droids I'm looking for." The scene cuts to 2 stormtroopers and one says "Yeah, me too. What gives with that?"

The other takes place when Stewie finds 4 or 5 Jawas looking at his rental car. He shouts "Utinni, utinni!" and they all run away. He then comments "Filthy creatures."
  9. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    You missed one, Ken. In the commentary for the Stewie Griffith story they mentioned (or else I would have missed it too) that when they're in the desert the shot wipes from the center of the screen out just like one of the wipes used in the Tatooine desert in ANH.
  10. Lord_Kosh Force Ghost

star 2
    I saw an episode of "Harvey Birdman; Attorney at Law" (mostly by mistake since I was RPGing on another forum on this site and it happened to be on after Family Guy) on Adult Swim. It showed an "old archive episode" from before Birdman became an attorney. He gets trapped in a junk heap that is being crushed or something...this was before I was paying attention. Then he called to his pet eagle over a speaker saying, "Shut down all garbage mashers on the detention level(s)...Shut down all garbage mashers on the detention level(s)!"
    Then you see the eagle perched on the control panel...which was quite similar to the unit Han shot up when they asked for his operating number. The eagle comes and lifts Birdman out of the circular pit, and as he is lifted, Birdman says something like "One thing's for sure, I was going to be a lot thinner."
  11. Lord_Kosh Force Ghost

star 2
    A Christmas episode of Family Guy had two clips that were from SW. Stewie imagines confronting Santa...who he thinks is out to get him...and shoots several blaster rounds at Santa. Santa deflects it like Vader.

A little later in the episode, Peter gives away all the presents to the poor...even the ones that were for the family. He tells Lois nervously saying, "If you strike me down, I shall be come more powerful than you can possibly imagine".
  12. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    This is not necessarily a reference to a TV or movie. However, it was announced that "The World's Ugliest Dog", Sam, just died. I thought he had an uncanny resemblence to Salacious Crumb (Jabba's pet). Well, you can judge for yourself:
    [image=http://www.comcast.net/data/br/2005/11/23/br-52442.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/salaciouscrumb/img/movie_bg.jpg]
    :oops:
  13. Lord_Kosh Force Ghost

star 2
    Kir Kanos, I think they were seperated at birth. The resemblance is uncanny.
  14. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    THAT's a dog? Looks more like a cross between a possum and Stripe from the Gremlins. But yeah, it does look kinda like 'ol Crumb too.
  15. wookieepedian1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    LOL at the dog. He sorta does look like Crumb and then he sorta doesn't. Maybe if you squint.

Btw, all these are great references. Hopefully I can add them all to our wiki's list of references, at least getting the tv shows, to make the largest compendium of references. :D

I also know that JediNet has a bunch of the movie references, so I'll be taking a bunch from there, and paraphrasing of course. Plagiarism is bad anytime you copy information.
  16. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Again, not a "Direct" reference, but it is definitely something "T.V." related
    If you have Directv, look at the Pay per view channels (125-133). Episode III is listed as "Return of the Sith" OOPS!!! Someone got their titles goofed up ~ definitely NOT a Star Wars fan :oops:
  17. senator__padme Jedi Knight

star 1
    The new "Best Week Ever" commercial is a SW spoof.. I've only half-paid attention to it, but they talk about how "The Saga Continues," use a Star Warsy font, and at the end Christian Finnigan (I think..) has a purple lightsaber. It's really, really cheesy... :rolleyes:
  18. Lord_Kosh Force Ghost

star 2
    I think I have seen this posted here before, but I looked back for it and could not relocate it... So sorry if I am repeating what someone else already said:

Last nights Adult Swim on Cartoon Network showed an episode of Family Guy were Peter tries to "find a Jew" for his financial needs. While the overall plot of the show was not SW related, there was a small reference within the episode. Peter says something like he knows all about using the wrong tools for a job, then "remembers" Luke (dressed like ANH) trying to do laser-eye surgery on a woman in what looks like the throne room of Death Star II by the window. He is concentrating really hard while pointing his blade at the woman's eye. From behind, you hear Ben say, "Luke, use the force...trust you feelings." Luke protests abit saying "...I'm not sure that's a good idea..."{paraphrased}. Ben pesters him again, then Luke gives in. You see the lightsaber levitate above the woman, hover a second, then go completely thru her head...with her screaming. Luke asks Ben, "Are you happy now?" Ben replies, "I've never been happy."

19. obi-TN Jedi Knight

star 2
    On Scrubs last night, two of the new interns are fighting with their knives like lightsabers.

In regards to the Family Guy episode referenced above, there is a line in the novel Labrynth of Evil that echoes those sentiments. Obi-Wan forsees a life of sorrow for himself. I'll have to check the exact quote later.
  20. senator__padme Jedi Knight

star 1
    On an old episode of "Gilmore Girls," Lorelai gets into a car and exclaims, "George Lucas WISHES he had this sound system!"
  21. obi-TN Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just to follow-up on my previous post.

From Labyrinth of Evil, p. 221:
    "And you, Master. What does your heart tell you you're meant for?"
    "Infinite sadness," Obi-Wan said, even while smiling.
  22. Lord_Kosh Force Ghost

star 2
    The newest Family Guy episode on Sunday had a Star Wars reference: Meg walk into the bathroom...since the door was halfway opened. She freezes at the doorway because she sees the back af Chris's head, bald and bare with the circuitry collar visible. Vader's theme plays as Chris's blonde hair is lowered down onto his head. It seals like Vader's helmet. Then Chris rotates on the toilet seat lid around to face Meg(Gen. Veers). I can't remember if there was any dialogue that followed.
  23. obi-TN Jedi Knight

star 2
    Two references:
    On tonight's Beauty and the Geek, the first question for the ladies was "This is Hayden Christensen. What character did he play in George Lucas's Star Wars movies?" The girl answered "Luke", who at least is a character.

On last week's Scrubs, Billy Dee Williams played himself and was the uncle of Mandy Moore's character. Turk would only refer to him as "Lando."
  24. GMSepiroth Jedi Knight

star 3
    Tonights new Robot Chicken had a skit where the Emperor get a call from Vader telling him the Death Star has been destroyed. It was so funny I almost started to cry.
    It also had a guest appearance of MasterShake.
  25. Lord_Kosh Force Ghost

star 2
    I especially liked the part on Robot Chicken where Sidious makes fun of Vader for crying like a little baby at Padme's death...with his advisors giggling in the background.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.