main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars References in TV Shows/Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: Philippines' started by jedi_ginny, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_ginny

jedi_ginny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    If you have encountered Star Wars references in the TV shows and movies you've been watching, please do tell us about it and post them here! It will be interesting to see the extent of Star Wars' influence in the industry.

Post as many as you can, and if you suddenly remember something, just update the thread. It would be fun to compile all this and maybe put it up in the SWP website. :)

===

Just last night, I was watching Lizzie McGuire in the Disney channel. Lizzie was campaigning as Student Government President. It was suggested by her "campaign manager" that she hang out with different student groups like the Drama Club, French Club, etc. She went and joined a Star Trek club meeting... wearing a wig of Princess Leia's famous bagel hairstyle. Naturally, the Trekkers looked at her weird. So she took off the wig - then they all gave her the Vulcan hand sign, and told her to Live Long and Prosper. :)

Also, there was something in Nutty Professor 2. The professor was going to go into space, and he heard a voice saying he can make it, use the Force. Then an Obi-Wan like spectre appeared in front of him encouraging him. :)

2. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    Wow, thats gonna be a lot of references.

I'll post later, I know alot but dont have a lot of time right now.

There's always Spaceballs

3. jedi_ginny

Apr 25, 2002
    Of course there are those in Lucas's own Indiana Jones films.

In Temple of Doom, the club where Marion Ravenwood worked is called "Club Obi-Wan".

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, people at an IJ forum say that there is a carving of Artoo among the hieroglyphs in the Well of Souls where the Ark of the Covenant can be found. And I think some of the planes have serial numbers like 3PO.

4. jedi_ginny

Apr 25, 2002
    Found another reference in Lizzie McGuire. Hrmmm... Maybe the writer is a fan. Anyhoo, Gordo, Lizzie's friend, says in class "I can do a mean Wookiee!" and proceeds to roar like a Wookiee....

Of course, there's that Dexter's Laboratory episode where Dad wanted to eat the muffins that Mom baked before dinner. Dexter and Deedee were assigned to guard the muffins and make sure Dad doesn't eat them. Dad tries to lure Dexter to "the Muffin Side" ala Darth Vader and when Dexter refuses, he tells him "It is your destiny!".

5. hat_tr1ck

hat_tr1ck Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2002
    Well, whaddya expect? Genndy Tartakovsky's a big fan.

Anyway, to add to the topic...

Coming to America
    The King of Zamunda, James Earl Jones, is asked by his servant a question concerning the fate of his son Akheem, Eddie Murphy.

The question is regarding a suitable punishment for the prince because he's been naughty. James Earl Jones smiles and replies: "Leave him to me, I will deal with him myself!".

6. jedi_ginny

Apr 25, 2002
    Watched American Pie 2 last night, and I remembered, there was an SW reference here.

On the beach, Oz, Stifler and Jim were girl-watching. Stifler formulated a plan. They will go girl-fishing. He takes a football, told Oz to run and catch the ball, and threw it. Oz caught the ball and crashed right in the middle of a circle of girls having a picnic. Oz acts all concerned about the ladies and the ladies all fuzz over Oz. Jim comments "Amazing!" and Stifler goes "Yeah. The Force is strong in that one." Hehehhhhh.... :)

7. StompboXX

StompboXX Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    In last Saturday's "Laban o Bawi" segment in Eat Bulaga, a contestant was asked the question: "Sino ang kilalang direktor ng sci-fi na pelikula sa Hollywood? Nagsisimula ito sa pangalang 'George'. Siya rin ang nag-direct ng STAR WARS."

The contestant's answer: "George Javier."

Heh heh heh.

8. the_jedi_rainjin

the_jedi_rainjin Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2002
    In Tuesday's Eat Bulaga, June 3, 2003:

"What Episode of the Star Wars series is entitled The Phantom Menace?"

hehehehehe...

9. jedi_ginny

Apr 25, 2002
    this was sent in through the mailing list by Borgs (no, not the ones from Star Trek. heheh):

===

The new season of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (Star World) features
    Buffy battling it out against 3 geeky antagonists who mention Star
    Wars a whole lot. One scene last night even showed them psray-
    painting the 2nd death star on the side of their van, and debating
    about the flawed design of the 2nd death star compared to the first.

10. Myxie

Myxie Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2003
    Well I see a lot really but I'm not sure if I remember them all...well, let's see...

Last night I was watching Brothers Garcia on Nickelodeon and the mom mentioned R2-D2 and the little dude mentioned George Lucas.

Last week I watched The Cable Guy and Jim Carrey mentioned George Lucas.

My sister was watching some cartoon movie called Help! I'm a fish and some character mentioned "The Force is with us" or something like that.

Well what I remember also is the one in Nutty Professor 2 but I think that was mentioned already. That's all I remember now. Hehe.

11. the_jedi_rainjin

Sep 9, 2002
    Dexter's Laboratory, episode "The Big Cheese",

-- Dexter's password for his lab: Star Wars. hehehe....

12. rachel1013

rachel1013 Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    I know there was some mention of an "I am your Father" kind of thing in one of the Austin Powers movies..

Just can't seem to remember which one.. :)

13. StompboXX

Jan 13, 2002
    "The Spy Who Shagged Me."

The second one.

Dr. Evil: *khhhkhh* I am your father.
    Austin Powers: No...
    Dr. Evil: Nah, I can't pull that one off.

14. rachel1013

Jun 1, 2002
    Well, I saw another Star Wars reference but it wasn't in a show or a movie, but in a Romance book no less!

Someone just gave birth and the author described the new born baby as "Yoda-like"

How's that for a simile? hehehe

Rachel

15. StompboXX

Jan 13, 2002
    Oh my. Poor kid.

hahahahahaha.

Hey, the Speaker of the House of Representatives here looks like him, so it need not be a strang thing, right?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

16. rachel1013

Jun 1, 2002
    Hey Aids, his mom might have watched too much of Yoda while infanticipating hehehe :D

17. oneal

oneal Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2003
    There were lots of references in Dexter's Laboratory mostly in the first season, like the one where Dexter and three of his friends were engrossed in a Role-Playing Game with Dee-Dee as the Game Master, their characters were attacked by a dragon and Dexter's Furry-Footed Burrower jumps onto the Knight covering his eyes, the knight shouts 'I can;t see' and Dex replies "Use the Force"

18. trust_jedi_owk1

trust_jedi_owk1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2002
    well, don't get meh wrong. i'm very much a kid at heart. but the references i juss saw....

yesterday was on "Rugrats Go Wild."
    angelica comes to save the babies and she arrives with the cina-rolls like leia.

another is "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
    two guys from the garage take out the ferrari for a ride, hit a bump and the sw theme plays in the background.

there's the obvious of "Buffy" and "Dexter's Laboratory". there was some episode of 'the x-files'-- way back when season 2 or 3 (i forget)-- probably a few episodes of that. i think "armaggedon" has some and i swear a few disney movies have slipped some sw themes or ideas into the movies.

other than that, that's all i got at teh moment. so, keep posting and keep an eye out.

19. rachel1013

Jun 1, 2002
    Well, with nothing to do, I chanced upon an episode of Felicity on RPN 9 and they were having a Halloween Party. One of their geeky friends (I don't know the name) had on a Darth Vader costume which he supposedly made by himself.. he met a girl dressed up as Princess Leia and when they were supposed to drink.. unfortunately, he couldn't get off his mask.. LOL He even tried putting his head in the freezer.. LOL

Rachel

20. hat_tr1ck

May 3, 2002
    Toy Story 2

As Buzz Lightyear is fighting Emperor Zurg, Buzz says, "You killed my father, Zurg." And Zurg replies, "No, I am your father."

In shock, Buzz shouts a Luke-esque "Nooooooooooooo!"

21. trust_jedi_owk1

trust_jedi_owk1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2002
    gots another one. ;)

saw it...um, opening dai, friday.
    it's the movie "how to deal".

throughout the movie there was the whole 'jedi mind trick' between mandy moore's character and Trent Ford's character about using the jedi mind tricks on each other. there was also a scene where they went to the movies to go see sw--dk which one. juss said sw--. there was another scene with them using lightsabers--light-up, sfx (anakin and obi-wan lightsabers)--. and etc.

but i didn't really like the movie, no offense. but sumhow got pulled into watchin it.

22. the_jedi_rainjin

Sep 9, 2002
    July 27th, delayed telecast of Mel & Jay, Ogie Alcasid's 15 Year Celebration:

The partners gift to Ogie: improvised Star Wars T-Shirts, with his face on Hayden's (did I hear you shriek, Master Ginny?) and another shirt ala Hayden and Natalie, with superimposed Ogie and Michelle faces.

Hmmm...methink we should recruit Mr. Alcasid, along with April Boy...kaya mo bang tanggapin, Master Ginny?

23. hat_tr1ck

May 3, 2002
    In this week's episode of The Misadventures of Maverick and Ariel last July 29 on ABC 5, Ariel went shopping with his Mom (I think) wearing the typical casual outfit - blue jeans, red checkered polo shirt and...a Don Post Hoth Snowtrooper helmet!!!

24. hat_tr1ck

May 3, 2002
    In last Saturday's Eat Bulaga, they asked two Star Wars questions!

In Stop The Clock, the question was "Ano ang title ng Star Wars Episode I?" And Rez Cortez answered, "Star Wars!"

In Laban O Bawi, they asked, "Anong pelikula ang nagsisimula sa sentence na A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." And no one was able to answer it!

25. BountyKnight_777

BountyKnight_777 Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2003
    In one scene of ET, a kid was dressed as Yoda. In one scene of Armageddon, most of the astronauts talk about Star Wars. I also remember in the movie called: The Indian in the Cupboard. There was one scene where a 3 3/4" Darth Vader figure started to walk swinging his lightsaber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.