Indi, IN Star Wars + Religion = ?

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Anna_kin, Jun 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anna_kin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    In case no one's seen it yet, there's an articles in the Star on the front page of Indiana Living, Section F, about people who use Star Wars as a kind of religion. There are actually people out there who have some kind of thing called "Jediism". Now, I love Star Wars as much as any of you, but don't you think that's going a bit far?? I mean, when it all comes down to it, it's just fiction. It came out of George Lucas's head.

I'd appreciate the opinion of the IKs on this one.
  2. Hoot Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Yeah, I know this exists.. and those people are crazy
  3. DarthAcroyear Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Well, the same case can and has been made about Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard but I don't see Tom Cruise or John Travolta changing their minds about it. I don't really know that this is the place to discuss religion so I will keep my own opinions to myself but I will say that news stories such as this do tend to make the rest of us "normal" fans look a bit more odd to mainstream. Not that we don't get more then our far share of comments anyway.
  4. The_bald_ewok Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hey every up and coming religion has the rest of the world thinking that they are nuts. You can make the same arguement with Mormons or even Scienitolgy. It all depends with your P.O.V. Just for grins I am going to check it out...who knows, maybe they are on to something!!
  5. Anna_kin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well, I thought it might be okay to discuss religion since it was Star Wars based...I mostly just wanted to get feedback from some "normal" fans.

The article had a cool picture of Obi-Wan and Anakin on the front, so I'm keeping it. :D
  6. Anna_kin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    If you look at it, though, it does seem like the Force is a semi-religion and the Jedi seem a lot like monks. In the book Rogue Planet (which you should all read if you haven't yet) Obi-Wan has a major problem trusting the force after Qui-Gon's death, something common among Christians. I quote from the book:((A little voice in Obi-Wan's head))

"The boy's trial..he will face it alone. You must trust in your Padawan. And you must trust in the Force. After Qui-Gon's death, in a way, you lost that trust. You relied on a sense of duty and a daily regimen of study and work to replace what had once been a marvelous sense of awe and wonder at the ways of the Force.
    The Force dissapointed you, did it not, Obi-Wan?
    It allowed your Master to die.
    It could allow Anakin to die.
    And if it does, that will kill any chance of your remaining a Jedi."
  7. theWOOK Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I teach a survey course on world religions. If you are looking to star wars for ideas of religion. You might as well go to were Lucas got all of his ideas. Buddhism & Taoism. The force whether you call it chi or zen, has been around for centuries. I suggest reading the Dao de ching by Laozi. It is available at B&N for 5$ It is full of the fundamental ideas of Taoism.

Chi in Taoism is like air, or a life force, it is part of the fundamental beliefs of accupuncture, fung shui, & chinese martial arts, to name a few.

Jedi are a combo of Samurai, Buddhist monks, & Christian Templar Knights. Living in temples, vows of poverty & celebacy, codes of conduct, belief in a power (zen, chi, divine grace)
  8. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    Well we had a census here about 6 months ago and everybody in my house put "Jedi" as their religion.

We're still waiting on official recognition from the government that we can start giving away our paychecks to build a monument to George Lucas, but we're sure it's coming soon.

Of course, we're just athiests trying to stir up s*** as usual.

:p
  9. Anna_kin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Lol, Sil!

The article in the Star showed some similarities (did I spell that right?) to Christianity, too.
  10. ANIandAMIDALA4EVER Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Well, I guess to some people Lucas could be considered a "God." Come on, he made the best set of movies I have ever seen!
  11. Hoot Jedi Youngling

star 1
    *dons his "I'm Ridley Scott's woman" shirt*
  12. SkylaFett Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Ok I worked all night being pissed about this article. My problem with it was that first of all it was in the Indiana Living section. So the way it makes the IK look as if we are a bunch of psychos waiting for Uncle George to give the word to commit mass suicide. To compare us to Jim Jones and his cult is outrageous. Now unless there is a group in Indy practising this then make no mistake they are talking about us. Why else would it be in the Indiana Living section? I'm sure there is a group of people some where out there that think about SW this way, but unless this writer has more info about the group then I don't feel that he has the right to write an opinionated article about it. He does not have a quote from a member nor does he say that they declined to comment. This was simply put in the paper because SW is big right now and they were looking for a story about it.

BTW Ricky, I know what you mean but watch how you talk about Mormons. To put Mormons and Scientology in the same sentence is like putting Catholics and Atheists in the same one.
  13. Anna_kin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Oh, they were talking about us? I assumed it was some other group in Indy that actually did that stuff...of course I didn't think they meant the IKs, cause that's not what we're about...that's annoying...but I still like the picture.
  14. Hoot Jedi Youngling

star 1
  15. obrian93 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    In response to the question posted in the thread's title:

Star Wars + Religion = FRUITCAKES
  16. Nick_the_Jedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
  17. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    Topics of religion aren't allowed in general, outside of the "Senate Floor" forum...since this is about the Star Wars religion, then it is ok to talk about it, but stay on topic. If it strays again into other religions I'll have to close it.

The UK had a real campaign of people wanting to force the governments hand and recognize "Jedi" as a religion. Apparently if enough people put it on the census, the government would have to recognize it. While I think they may have had enough people, I'm pretty sure some politician found a loop hole to prevent them from following through.
  18. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master

star 3
    The US government does not recognize Jedi as a religion, and can (have yet too) prosecute those who claim it on census forms as having committed perjury on a sworn government document.

So don't try and be "cute" or "funny" when filling out government forms. It not only is stupid, it wastes MY taxpayer dollars.

Now, as to the Jedi being a religious order, I don't see it as so. Religion is based on faith in the unseen and untangeable. Tell me that lifting an Xwing out of a swamp is untangeable. I don't think the Jedi have "faith" in the force, as such. That would be like an race car driver having "faith" in the power of the internal combustion engine. I think Obi-wan's crisis of faith was in his own abilities to interact and manipulate it, rather than his not believing in it's existence.

I can see how outsiders might view Jedi as religious types, but who knows of the religions of the Star Wars Universe? Han uses phrases like "Then I'll see you in hell" and Padme says, "I pray it doesn't come to that"... What of the Boamar (sp?) Monks? There are many different cases of witches and shamanism in the novels, but those all revolve around Force-sensitive individuals.

19. Anna_kin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Jorg: I would say something about the crisis of faith thing, but that would be a little too far off the topic and I don't want Sebulba to have to close down my thread.

The only problem I have with all of this is that, really, Star Wars is just a MOVIE (ok, well, six movies). I mean, you don't see people basing religion off of Lord of the Rings or anything like that. It just seems a little strange that something that a regular person (Lucas) made up could be counted as a religion. Jedi aren't REAL...the Force isn't REAL...It's a STORY.
  20. Nick_the_Jedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I happen to have a word for that. The word is "Duh!!!!!!!!!!!".
  21. Club_333 Jedi Master

star 4
    many would argue that all religions are just a story and none of what is in their tomes are real.

many would argue that these stories, morality tales mostly, were originally meant to pass on a basic set of laws. somewhere along the line, the line between fact & fiction got blurry and religions were born.

all religions have something in common:
    1- they tell you where you come from.
    2- they tell you what to do while you're here.
    3- they tell you where you go when you die.
    4- they all claim to be the one true religion.
    (agnosticism & atheism are not religions, per se, as much as they are philosophies, technically speaking)

therefore the force & jedi-ism cannot be a religion until it answers the question, "where do we come from?" and makes the assertion that it is the only religion.
  22. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master

star 3
    I was referring to religions within the context of the Star Wars Universe, not whether or not the force is real in our world, etc. Strictly in the movies.

PS (FACT) L. Ron Hubbard created his religion on a bet at a sci-fi convention in the 1950s. (MY OPINION)John Travolta and Tom Cruise (and Nicole Kidman, Kirstie Alley..)aren't my ideal of brain-trust role models anyway.
  23. Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan

star 4
    My .02 cents here.
    We live in a country that protects religious freedom and everyone has a right to worship as they wish, hypothetically at least, free from persecution. If these Jedi want to do that, that is their right as American citizens, regardless of what others may think.

.02 for LOTR, a religion can't be made out of it because it uses a religion already established, Catholic Christianity. That's how Tolkien wrote it implicitly. But it can be enjoyed without that perspective, too. Hence its universal appeal.
  24. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    Not to get too off topic, but from what I gather, the whole reason Tolkien wrote what he did was to give England it's own mythology, particulary a creation myth, that wasn't based on Christianity, like almost all of the Arthurian ones. At least, that's what the preface letter in the Silmarillion said if I remember correctly. Anyhow, poe-tay-toe, poe-tah-toe. I'm sure, someone, somewhere has tried to start a LOTR based religion...tis the way all geeks who take something the love and enjoy way, way, way too far.
  25. Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sebulba, that is true to a certain degree, but Tolkien always called it fundamentally a Catholic work, as explicitly stated in his letters and other writings.
    My hypothesis is therefore, because of that, it is difficult to create a 'new' religion out of his work.

A good book that documents this is "Tolkien: the Man and the Myth," by Joseph Pearce, Ignatius Press.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.