main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Republic Commando (XBox | PC)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord_of_the_Siths, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    That would be cool. I've always liked tactical and realistic shooters, and a SW themed one would be great. :D

There might be jedi in the game, but you probably won't play as one ever. I could imagine one helping out your squad in some situations and it wouldn't detract from the game.

2. JustSaber

JustSaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2003
    Good thought! Didn't think of that. Hopefully you do something besides shoot Geonosians in this game. Something along the lines of capturing key Seperatist leaders or something to that effect.

3. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Bah, LEC and Microsoft didn't like my proposal:

Obi-Wan Gear Solid: Geonosis Stealth Action

:(

4. Pat-bk-Fitzsimons

Pat-bk-Fitzsimons Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    I sent this exact same idea to Lucas arts in 2001. This is exactly the same as the single player troopers mod. Even down to the term gritty realism. I have spoken about this idea on many occasions to epic and Lucas arts over the past 2 and a half years.

you can actually see the multiplayer version in progress on our mod site here and check out the pics here. very sad stuff from lcuas.

http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161298

http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161295

Patrick Fitzsimons

Troopers project lead.

http://www.troopers.jolt.co.uk/

Troopers - emails extract and original game design concept doc.

I thought of the four most popular parts to a game, Driving, Team combat\Action, Gritty realism of today (real world games such as medal of honor) and star wars and came up with Troopers.

Troopers will be a single\multiplayer first person Action\Team Combat game for the pc that also includes the use of vehicles. Single player will also involve team combat (control of four troopers in your unit).
    Set in the star wars universe at the beginning and during the battles between the republic (rebel alliance) and the empire. (Just before the original star wars trilogy and continuing through it). Single\Multiplayer will use weapons, characters and vehicles from the star wars universe, all of which will keep there characteristics from the films and thus make the game an extension of the best loved elements of the films. The sci-fi fantasy element will be blended with the gritty realism and style of such films as saving private Ryan.

Notes

This would be the first of a trilogy that would take you from the fall of the republic to the return of the jedi.

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    These are ARC Troopers right? They're amazing.

6. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    "This looks like Aliens with a Clonetrooper helmet. Pass."

Not only that, but it seems to be a knockoff of Starcraft: Ghost, except elite clonetroopers = ghosts , geonosians = zerg.

I'll probably end up playing this anyway, I'm a sucker for Star Wars ...

7. wesjanson1138

wesjanson1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Looks pretty good to me! Good thing It's for PC, otherwise I'd never be able to play it...not that I can run it anyway on my machine :p

8. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    'I hate to be negative but this unoriginal concept doesn't do anything at all for me. Aren't there enough gritty, violent FPS games *outside* the Star Wars universe? This looks like Aliens with a Clonetrooper helmet. Pass.'

I would have loved a new X-Wing game. Oh well, the Larry Holland flight sim and Rebel Strike will have to do!

you want a something original but you want another X-wing game I think this game was going to rock

9. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I'm sure that Geonosians are far from the only enemies in the game.

I'm certainly looking forward to it. Multiplayer could be great.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Upon a further look, they seem to be a half-way cross between standard Clone Troopers and the ARC Trooper (for example- their bulkier and have the blue joints of ARC troops, but lack the blue "kilts" and other details).

Might be a sort of production-line model of the ARC Trooper. Really depends on when this game takes place (ARC Troopers were first used during the Confederate attack on Kamino in the Republic comic series, 2 months after Geonosis- so if this game happens before then, these guys probably aren't ARCs).

11. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    This game looks awesome. I'm soo glad I have an xbox becuase my comp probably won't handle it. And it will most likely come out on xbox a few months before PC like KOTOR is supposed to. If it ever comes out.

12. SFLUFAN

SFLUFAN Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2003
    This could possibly be one of the best SW games every released...or an absolute disaster.

In the world of tactical games, there are two extremes. On one hand, you have the "hardcore" tactical games like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six; on the other, you have "lite" tactical games like the Delta Force series. As much as I'd like LEC to go fully in the direction of the Tom Clancy games, I doubt this would happen as it would alienate a substantial audience due to its difficulty - I'm guessing we'd get something in between with elements from both subgenres. This course of action would lead to the success that I mentioned.
    The failure would be if they decided to proceed along the lines of the Star Trek Elite Force way of doing things - BLECH!!

I'm guessing you'd probably play as an ARC (Advanced Recon Clone) trooper; maybe even as "Alpha" - the ARC trooper from the comic book series.

I've gotta admit that this has really piqued my interest!!!

13. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    yea alpha rocks to bad we have to wait a year I wished they would tell you about these things later to make the wait more bearable *cough galaxies cough*

14. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    2nd quest I think its after the defense of kamino because the clonwars events go in the order of their release so they should be arc troopers

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, again, if they are ARCs, I would agree with you.

They could just be really buff looking Clones for all we know [face_batting]

16. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    but they are blue they just seem to be missing the kilts but perhaps its because their armor was modified for the specific mission

17. RIP_JoncladDanva

RIP_JoncladDanva Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2003
    this game will rock but whats up with plo_kooms signuture

18. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I'd love to see some actual in-engine screenies soon... :(

19. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    yea that would be cool any updates from the mini-site at lucas entertanment

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What I find interesting is this is the first SW game in quite a while (probably since GBG) that is being done in-house at LucasArts, even though they're using an existing engine.

I think this game is in real early development and we won't see in-game screenshots for a while yet.

There are so many other character driven (as opposed to flight sim or strategy) SW games coming out soom -> Galaxies, KOTOR, Jedi Academy that they'll probably wait until those 3 are released before stepping up the promotion of Republic Commando.

21. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    ah man. But we can still speculize about about plot points and gameplay and such.

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    We could also probably use this time to brush up on our spelling skills too!!! :)

Anyways, good point JP, I never thought of that. But, IMO, the only thing about LucasArts games that has suffered when they do them in house are the graphics/models/etc. And since they're using an available engine already, I'm really looking forward to it. :)

This is the first FPS since Dark Forces without a Jedi as the main character... Thank goodness. :)

23. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    hay i tak dat in2 ofence i kan sow spel

24. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    PC baby o yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

25. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    The quality of this thread amazes me.