main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Republic Commando (XBox | PC)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord_of_the_Siths, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfinbrant

surfinbrant Jedi Grand Master

Mar 31, 2002
    I have a feeling that this game will be good, with Halo-like graphics. By the way, I bet that that mutant thing is a bio-battle droid. A book that will be released soon (check the Books section) details something involving them. Its just a guess, but we're definately going to see some new enemies in this game.

2. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Yeah that one screenshot really brought back memories of the halo level, Truth and Reconsiliation.

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Wasn't that the level with the unending waves of "Elites" swarming you, ad infinitum?

You have to use *far* too many grenades to get past them, from what I recall...

4. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    Oh god dont remind me. all those plasma swords wipping around slicing my marines to pieces before they even realized they were on the ship.Those brave souls...

5. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    http://halo.bungie.net/images/site/halo/screenshots/scrn_030.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/screenshots_library/dir_232/vortal_pic_116043_t.jpg

comparison shots!

6. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Whops!!! wrong thread.!!!

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    ^ Best. Sneaky. Upping. Evar.

8. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    http://www.gamedox.hu/?page=screenshotok&jatek_id=445

6 new screens. Super Battle droids and droidekas look awsome. Kashyyk looks pretty much the same as it did in KOTOR

9. pitsburySC

pitsburySC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2003
    These screenshots had been taken directly from the LucasArts web site.(kamuiweb.com website found them first)Here's the link:
    http://www.lucasarts.com//games/commando/images/screenshots/3.jpg
    (3.jpg up to 9.jpg)

We got some new stuff directly from an EBgames employee.

http://www.sithclan.net/jeuxvideo/index.php#6115

translate with Bebelfish or whatever ;)

10. hairdie

hairdie Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2004
    Why Even bother with the X-box version its not even worth the effort as was jedi knight.. Bad frame rate bad graphics bad control system What is the point??

11. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    Uh, seeing as how this game isn't out yet, I'd like to know what you're basing all that on.

12. pitsburySC

Dec 12, 2003
    My arcticle is base on an EBgames employee who have accessed to a special magazine which include exclusive content on the game. Nothing has been invented.

13. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>> Why Even bother with the X-box version its not even worth the effort as was jedi knight.. Bad frame rate bad graphics bad control system What is the point??<<<

Because every single person that plays this game online with an Xbox will have voice communication and will be using broadband. Which can't be said about the Gamecube, PS2 and PC version. And as for JK on the Xbox it really wasn't as bad you make it sound be glad you didn't try the gamcube version. As far as controls go, learn to adapt. ;)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    This game is sounding better with every preview (IGN.com). I love the concept of the "premonition squad command sihlouttes" or whatever.

So for example looking at a bunch of those beloved space-crates might make green silhouette images of one or all of your troops taking cover positions behind them and thus alerting you that this might be a good spot to setup an ambush. When you come to a locked door you can look at it and get the silhouette images of your team setting up for a breaching sequence with one guy on the door and the other two ready to lay down cover fire and throw grenades when it's breached. Or, while in the same situation, you can get the silhouette image of one of your troops hacking the door control panel.

The whole command system basically shows you what your troops will do and where they'll do it before you issue the command so that you won't be confused by the orders you're giving. Simple things like telling your guys to hop in a turret and lay down some cover fire will still be accompanied by a green silhouette image showing you exactly what they're going to do if you issue the order.

There are also basic commands like Form Up and Search and Destroy which will put your teammates on an aggressive ass-whooping path that could get all of you in trouble if you abuse it. There's friendly fire in the game and you always have the option to simply do everything yourself but the game is going to demand that you find a decent balance of commanding versus shooting.

15. marzk_zelan

marzk_zelan Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2004
    Looks cool! Finally My xbox will become to use, my PC takes all my games I play.

16. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    So when I heard about this game and saw the trailer, my expectations were about level. Then they revealed a few tidbits about the game. My expectations lowered. Then I read IGN's preview. Expectations skyrocket. Then I read Gamespot's. Expectations shoot through the roof. Can it be that with Battlefront and Republic Commando we have two *excellent* games?

17. pitsburySC

Dec 12, 2003
    Some new screens :)

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2004/00008397.htm

For those who are unable to read in French(and I know it is the majority :p) it said the exact same thing that we already know, and there is also a little mistake 'cause it said the Commando are under the Empire (well finally, it is a big continuity error :p ) Finally, the first three are from the PC, and the last 3 are from the Xbox platform!

18. DarkSabre77

DarkSabre77 Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2004
    Can't wait to review the Mac port!

19. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Like Galaxies, Republic Commando will have a novelization.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    New article on gamespy

The PC version will support two to 16 players over the Internet, have downloadable content in the future, and ship with an editor.

// dances around room //

// Realises I'll now have to learn a bit of Unreal Engine modding - though if the editor is good enough, it probably won't matter //

21. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    // Realises I'll now have to learn a bit of Unreal Engine modding - though if the editor is good enough, it probably won't matter //
    Personally, I don't find the editor a surprise--I only know of two Unreal-engine games for PC that didn't ship with it (the two Harry Potter games).

And if you're looking to learn, you may want to check and see if your local stores still have a copy of the Special Edition of Unreal Tournament 2004. It includes a DVD with various helpful tutorials for beginners, pretty much all of which should be applicable to Republic Commando. (Note that they're AVI files, so you'll need a DVD-ROM drive to play them.) Plus, you get a good game, too. :)

As for the editor's quality.... It's a good editor, once you learn how to use it. It can have a steep learning curve (though no worse than that of the Quake III engine--and the Unreal engine is much more extendable, as pretty much everything above the rendering code is scripted), but once you know how to do stuff it can be very powerful.

22. XenoSphere

XenoSphere Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    I Read in the new OXM that Republic Commando will also have a map editor in the Xbox version(Xbox Live 3.0 will introduce this new feature).

And I have Jedi Academy on Xbox, there's no problems there! :)

Can't wait for this game! :D

23. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    I Read in the new OXM that Republic Commando will also have a map editor in the Xbox version(Xbox Live 3.0 will introduce this new feature).

Umm... I smell male cow leavings here. UnrealEd would be a bitch to use with a controller; I just don't see it being made. More realistic would be support for you to send maps created on a PC to your Xbox through Live (or over a network).

24. Rimkin_lover

Rimkin_lover Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2004

theres a new trailer out for RC on the Lucasarts site
    check it out, it's looking really hot!

25. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    This game is looking hot! I just wish it had a "squad vs squad" vs mode for system link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.