main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - Rescue on Endor is now finished!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Wildstar99, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar99

Wildstar99 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2003
    Hey guys

Our new Star Wars fan film, Rescue on Endor is now complete....you'll need QuickTime to view it....any comments can be sent to rescueonendor@yahoo.com

Hope you enhoy it!!!

http://www.dmzpaintball.8m.com/

Tim

2. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Is something wrong with the boards system? It seems as if we've been getting many, many double, triple, quadrouple, etc. threads posted recently, let alone today.

3. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    AWB: I have found that whenever i get one of those errors after i hit "post" it posts it anyway. People are just hitting back and then posting again.

4. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Markup codes dude, here

5. SkywalkerG

SkywalkerG Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    "10 minute movie trailer"

Holy long movie trailer batman!

6. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    was that really a trailer?

Assuming it was the film and not the trailer...
    I liked it. Great Costumes. Great sets, Great Props. Acting could use some work in some places (but not many fanfilms have perfect acting anyway). And I don't really see why you called it Rescue on Endor...I didn't see a rescue.

Good job.

7. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Great film but you need to change the link thats says it is trailer. Besides that Very good.

8. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Good flick. The sets and costumes were a great. Story was a little on the weak side, but I liked the overal dark feel to it. Especially with Darth Vader in the final scene. Haven't seen something like that in quite a while. The action on Endor turned out well - edited nicely. And lighting was well done too.

It's always fun to hear Ben Fletcher doing his night-job.
    ;)

9. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Well I think its a trailer for the paintball game.

http://www.dmzpaintball.8m.com/custom2.html

The :trailer" was an introduction into the game :)

I liked it, even though I know many of teh people in it :)

It was pretty cool, and seeinging Darth in it was a plus...and a reasonable voice for him.

10. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    That was really good! Better than a lot of films I've seen around here lately.

Nitpicks: The opening CGI was stiff and poorly edited. The alien pilot's voiceover was unconvincing.

And (REALLY nitpicky here, but...) Vader was too short...he really lacked that towering presence that's so effective in the Original Trilogy. It's understandable that you had to work with who you had. Still a couple things to keep in mind next time:

- Don't have the camera at eye level with Vader. It should be slightly below his head (say, shoulder level) looking up.

- Also, carefully compose shots where someone else is standing near Vader, since those were the shots where the height discrepancy really stood out.

I know most of the this post was about nitpicks, but they were really minor distractions in an otherwise excellent film! :)

11. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Here's my review. If you like reading my reviews, you'll love JediTAC's upcoming fan films site!

-----
    I'd never heard of this fan film till it was finished, and the fact that it was hosted on a paintball page worried me. Seeing Impact in the crawl didn't thrill me, either.

From there we panned down to some good-looking space shots. Even exciting ones. Even when the scene looked fake, it still conveyed the sense of what we were supposed to be seeing. I was particularly impressed with the shot of the X-wing crashing on Endor. The actor playing the pilot who dies was having a bit too much fun, though.

The obligatory forest looks good. The lighting throughout is well-handled. Kudos on the costumes as well.

From there we have a firefight in the forest with some well-chosen Williams music. Between that and the use of "The Asteroid Field" these guys already have my vote for good music supervision, although the first big Imperial March cue is a little overdramatic for a guy in a field.

You gotta love a film that uses a random hose on the floor to dress a hangar set. And an alien with blue skin and realistic-sounding voice modification, and... wait a minute. Wait just a minute. It can't be.

The credits don't say, but I think it is.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm pretty sure that this is the first significant fan film appearance of General Crix Madine.

The film continues in much the same way. Good production values throughout, and when not good, at least tolerable with extra points for ambition.

There isn't much of a story here. A guy lands on a planet, fights a bit, gets captured, and then the film just kind of ends. But it's clear the crew knows what they're doing. That's worth a lot.

B
    -----

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Thanks for the kind words! Our pilot who died really DID have too much fun! You should have seen the footage we had to cut out....he did a 2 minute death scene! He went nuts....but it was funny!

Glad you enjoyed the movie and thanks for the constructive criticisms!!

Tim

13. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm going to download this. Looks pretty neat. Always wanted to play paintball.

14. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Hey guys

I just found out that TheForce.net, in their ultimate wisdom, has decidede NOT to host Rescue on Endor....without giving a reason why. Do you REALLY want to see another stupid light-sabre fight?? I'm sick to death of Jedis!! There's more to be offered in the Star Wars Universe then Jedis and Dark Lords....come on people!!

From what I understand, we met their criteria for inclusion to be hosted yet they refuse. WHY? Why won't they return my e-mails??

To be honest, the administrators are acting like spoiled children....not letting anyone else play in their sandbox unless they like you and you're their friends....which is really sad. The state of fandom today hasn't changed at all since the early days...a bunch of dictators telling everyone who or what to watch and think. Truly sad...

Tim

15. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Just a guess, but maybe your film didn't get blessed by TFN because the purpose of your fanfilm was to hype an upcoming game. The story wasn't really a story (with a begining, middle, and end), it was an introduction to a paintball game that 99.92% of the TFN audience couldn't participate in. And even if TFN wanted to support your Star Wars themed paintball game, it's a little too late - the game was June 22, right?

Dictators the Fanfilm.com staff may be, but I have never been let down by the films they have chosen to host. I can always count on them to choose films with either original stories, good execution, or some pretty sweet eye candy. You fanfilm, was somewhat lacking in those respects.

16. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Okay dude... it's just plain not cool to complain like that when TFN doesn't host your film. Trust me, the last time such a thing happened, the filmmaker didn't make any friends.

That said, if you want to know why your film was rejected, you could always just ask them for further details.

If I had to guess why they didn't reject it, it might be lack of story. But that is not for me to judge.

Best of luck with promoting your film through whatever venues you can.

Rick McCallum loves you!

17. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Phil

Your comments have been noted...however, the film was never meant to "hype" a paintball game...it was used to help spread the word locally about the game. It can be viewed totally on it's own without any prior knowledge about paintball. That was always our intention.

As for the story, I believe it did have a beginning, middle, and end....the final end, however, is revealed in Return of the Jedi...hence, it's called Episode 5.5, which I'm sure most fans have seen by now.

The story is about a rebel pilot who is trapped on Endor and tries to escape and fails...begining, middle, and end...This type of story isn't seen very often in fan films. Also, we tried to portray the Empire as ruthless as possible....something fan films also don't convey very often.

If you notice, the film was actually posted after June 22nd...so getting fans to come to the big game was never an issue. It was NEVER intended to be used for Star Wars fans from all over the world to participate in our game! That's just ludicrous.

You have never been let down by their choices? I wish I could agree with you but I can't....I've seen some truly dreadful films on their site...but it shouldn't discourage anybody from making their own films though...I'm all for anybody with a camera to shoot a film...that's how we get filmmakers in the future...but we should all at least get a fair shake to show the world our movies....

Our movie was lacking in those respects? I fail to see how that statement reflects our movie...Without sounding boastful, our movie probably has the greatest sound design a fan film has ever had!! Over 30 tracks of sound....something you DON'T see in fan films very often. Authentic costumes, BUILT sets (yes built!! Not green screen which is WAYYYY overused and unconvincing) and a solid editing job....it's all there!

Sorry for sounding like sour grapes but I really want a good explanation from these people regarding why this movie can't be hosted...and not a form letter either.

Tim

Tim

18. BADGERGIRL

BADGERGIRL Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2003
    Wow Wildstar.....I just downloaded your movie and I have to say, I loved it. I was amazed at everything in it. From the props/costumes to the animation and everything inbetween. I have been reading your last posts with users and I can't figure out why they wouldn't post it??? I mean it's really good. (I don't want to step on toes or name names..but it is alot better than most of the small films or trailers they post here) I hope they will change their mind because it really is a great film.

19. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    I liked Rescue on Endor, and I haven't agreed with all of TFN's choices, either, but it bothers me that you've decided to publicly badmouth the TFN staff before asking them WHY the film wasn't accepted.

As Adam said, that's not the way to make friends around here. [face_plain]

20. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Thanks for the kind words....

The reason I'm taking my complaint into the open forum is because they refuse to answer my e-mails....I've tried several times but they refuse. We submitted this movie now almost a month ago and not ONCE have they e-mailed me. They did e-mail my producer which is how I found out about them not hosting it.

I have been polite and courteous to them and all I get in return is nothing....not even dignified with a response.

21. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    Well if it was the greatest sound design in a fanfilm ever then why was there NO sound when that second Scout got shot!?!?

I liked your sound design but great sound doesn't make a great film.

Ok I don't want to totally kill your film because I really liked it but, ultimately the Rebel didn't get the information to the alliance, the bothans did. So what is the point of following around a Rebel who doesnt do anything to effect the plot of Rotj?

22. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Thanks for the comments

The reason we follow him is to emphasize the fact that a lot of rebels died with that information as well...ultimately it's a sad story to convey more hatred and anger towards the Empire.

The reason the story is so short is because it's only ten minutes long....we didn't go into this production making War and Peace.

Tim

23. BADGERGIRL

BADGERGIRL Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2003
    When I watched it I was really getting into it. Then Vader diposes of the "unknown Rebel". I did however enjoy the line the Imperial Officer said to Vader when he was reporting to him "We managed to find out that there is a Rebel Fleet massing at Sulist". I knew I heard of that before and then I went and checked out my video of ROTJ and near the end Vader reports to the Emperor "What about the reports of a Rebel fleet massing at Sulist? And the Emperor waves it off. That is cool that that is were Vader got the fleet information from. Was that a fluke or did you intentionaly put that in there?

24. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Hi Badgergirl!

No it was not a fluke! Congratulations on finding it.....you have sharp eyes!!

We tried to stay as true to continuity as possible while telling a good story with the resources we had....and I think we succeeded.

Once again, good job! You deserve a cookie!

Tim

25. LittlePitcher

LittlePitcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    The thing that really bumfuzzles me lately is, all of a sudden, people seem to think they have a "right" to have their film hosted on TFN... this is like the third outburst we've seen in nearly as many months...

I watched this movie, and while they put a lot of effort into it, I can see why TFN turned it down... it's got a lot of problem areas...

First off, the ending blows... and on that note, where's the flipping rescue? The guy crashes, gets captured, Vader shows up and does something (spoiler protection on!), but where was the rescue attempt? And I, for one, don't buy Vader's actions at the end...
    Which leads me to my second point, which is the acting... some of it was hideous, especially in the pilot scene back at the rebel fleet... and what was up with BlueSparkleGlowingBoy and his weird voice?
    I also had problems with the editing in places... the bit where the guy bows up at the beginning turned funny because of the way the editing of that scene was mishandled...
    You claim that your film has this great sound mix better than everyone else's... sorry, I don't buy that... I'd hold films like Pink Five, Duality, The Jedi Hunter, or even How the Sith Stole Christmas over this any day as excellent examples of how a mix should sound... some of the music editing was very sloppy, and many of the dialogue scenes had muffled, distant, or problem source audio that should have been looped...

So they didn't host the film... the filmmakers act like they've been personally wronged... TFN can't accept everyone... and you've got it up on your own site, and are plugging it here, so how exactly have you been hurt?

LP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.