main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - Rescue on Endor is now finished!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Wildstar99, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kubrickisgod

kubrickisgod Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2003
    Agreed, that solves the mystery. It does look very LEGO'ish.

Either way, it doesn't work at all.

- Kev.

2. Wildstar99

Wildstar99 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2003
    Please allow me to make one more point.

This is addressed to people who thought my totalitarian comment was far-fetched and ludicrous...I admit I was mistaken.

What this is is an authoritarian group. Let me explain...

Before I begin, however, I should also point out that you DID give me a reason which doesn't make this an authoritarian group. But it almost was and I'll explain later.

First, what is an authoritarian? My dictionary states thusly: favoring obedience to authority instead of individual freedom. I will stress individual freedom here.

Secondly, what is a forum? My dictionary states thusly: an assembly for discussing questions of public interest. In this case, Star Wars fan films.

Now then...if we were to take this "community", that is this group of like-minded people as a "virual community" then us fans, the people posting and requesting their films to be hosted, are the "people", myself included. John, Chris, etc. and the other "administrators" are the police and "President", for lack of a better word, in this community. You have the final say about everything regarding this website. Is this not correct? Now...

In a democracy, people have rights....the right of free speech especially. Now I live in a free country...so do most of the people here. I have rights. So do you.

BUT...in a authoritarian society, people do NOT have rights....which is what you almost took away from me.

Let me explain...I requested to have my movie posted. You denied that request. I asked why, several times. You were not going to give me an answer. Here is your quote:

As to why your film wasn't hosted, that's our decision... I do not have to explain it to you, but on this occasion, I will give you a few...

By stating the above, you took away my right to ask why? You felt you do not have to explain it to me....thus you are an authoritarian.

Now then...a forum is where an assembly discusses QUESTIONS (my emphasis). If you do not allow me or anyone else to ask questions, then it is not a forum.

Do you understand what I mean now? Like I said, this is not an authoritarian group, but it almost was. Please, in the future, let it not turn into one.

I love my country, I pay my taxes, and I abide by the laws...but I also ask questions when I feel the need to...and I will fight to the day I die for that and all the other rights this fine country offers its citizens.

You may think this is silly, but, by the dictionary standards, it's the truth.

Feel free to debate this with me...I'm all ears. The floor is open to you, the fans.....what do you think??

Tim

3. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    If you wanna debate the nature of the structure of authority here on the forums, you do that on the Communications boards.

Here we discuss fanfilms.

-Chris (waiting for the obligitory "This is exactly what i'm talking about!" reply)

4. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    This guy makes me laugh.

EDIT: oh, and I've said it before and I'll say it again: you're right. It's not a democracy. They pay the fees to have the site. They make the rules on the site, and on this forum.

If you don't like it, go away and make your own message board.

M. Scott

5. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    I see my message has fallen on deaf ears...it is to be expected.

For the record, the above statement was a rhetorical scenario...why are you taking offence to it? I realize this isn't the place to discuss this matter...but it seems I was right all along. Dictatorship.

Oh and Dorkman, I make you laugh? You guys make me sick. Go play with your light sabre toys and pretend your Luke Skywalker and put a bucket on your head and pretend your Darth Vader.

I have more important things to do with my life then argue with intellectually-challenged people...

Oh and by the way, I thought Lucasfilm paid for the webspace.

6. Eizo1987

Eizo1987 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2003
    Oh please, shut up!

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002

Between the timeline of Chris and Fenn becoming staff, the acceptance dates of certain kinds of films and now this, you don't seem to know a whole lot about how TFN operates, which makes your criticisms of its administrative structure all that much more difficult to accept.

Oh and Dorkman, I make you laugh? You guys make me sick.

I'm sure the fact that his project was far more well-received than yours, even BEFORE it went on TFN, sickens him every night.

The whole 'dictatorship' issue reeks of a typical drama JC Communications post. I worry that it actually might fit in well there. Also... the TFN Fan Films staff does not have the final word over the forum. We are part of the Jedi Council forums, owned by Joshua Griffin and led by the moderators (in turn administrated by DarthSapient.)

You always have the right to ask why.

You don't automatically have the right to an answer.

Rick McCallum... nah, never mind.

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

That is because you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Unless of course it's an entry in the dictionary.

M. Scott

9. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    That's right....I don't know what I'm talking about...that's why I ask questions...to learn...isn't that what they taught us in school? And I get people to tell me to shut up.

What a wonderful forum....

Tim

10. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Your posts started out by declaring facts and making accusations.

The asking-questions-about-TFN bit came later.

For future reference:
    "What is the decision-making process by the TFN administration?" is a question.
    "When, and why, was Film X created by Poster Y accepted?" is a question.
    the administrators are acting like spoiled children....not letting anyone else play in their sandbox unless they like you and you're their friends....which is really sad. is not a question.
    and clicques will be formed and soon anarky will rule is not a question, unless perhaps we're taking a spelling test and need to correct the sentence.
    And don't tell me there's no cliques...there are. is not a question.

EDIT:
    What a wonderful forum....
    Yeah, we think so too. :) I mean, occasionally ya gotta deal with some unwanted drama here and there, but it's all good.

"Does Rick McCallum love you?" is a question, but a rhetorical one. :p

11. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Oh please, shut up! ;)

12. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Hey Wildstar, meet Mr. Black Kettle... he thinks you look like a pot... :D

Don't like it when it's thrown back at you, do you?

Fenn

13. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Hey Fenn

Take a lesson in icons...I was being sarcastic. That's what the winky smily face means...nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

I was also referring to what somebody recently told me...if you read the above postings...

Tim

14. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I hereby declare this thread so off topic it's not even worth following anymore accept to catch all the witty jabs at one another.

Is there any chance this argument can be put to rest regardless of how deep a hole WildStar99 has already dug for himself?
    (I'm sorry, dude, but you have been fighting a losing battle for 3 days now. I've tried in PM to bring you back down to Earth, but you just keep snapping back. And, each time your arguments are holding less water.)

Regardless of everything that's been said here, this thread should be used to comment on the film. Period. All the rest of this nonsense should be taken to PMs.

15. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    I totally agree.....this is my final statement.

I disagree with TheForce.net decisions and it is my right to do so...I feel they should change their criteria in selecting films to be hosted to prevent any false hopes from arsing within the fanfilm making community.

I will shop my film elsewhere to be hosted.

I know a lot of people hate me but I feel I have legitimate arguments which some people refuse to accept...this is also my right.

Judge the film for what it is...a fan film. I never said it was the greatest movie ever made and, since it is our very first film and since nobody even knew how to animate before we even started, I am very proud of what we accomplished. At least we made a movie. And you cannot take that away from me.

I'm sorry if anybody feels offended by my statements but that is how I feel...I'm sure everyone here are nice guys and I would enjoy going out with a lot of you guys, have a beer, and shoot the fat, if it were possible.

In the end, it's just a movie...enjoy it (or not enjoy it) as you see fit.

Now watch, people will still be calling me names and insulting me....even though I have stated how I truly feel...

16. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    And here again we deal with the issue of a false sense of entitlement... you still seem to feel you have a right to be hosted... you don't... NO ONE does... we accept the films that we feel are worthy... on this point, we disagree, but in the end, it's our call...

"I feel they should change their criteria in selecting films to be hosted to prevent any false hopes from arsing within the fanfilm making community." - any false hopes were yours and yours alone... NO ONE is guaranteed hosting here...

"I feel I have legitimate arguments which some people refuse to accept..." - you may feel that way, but I disagree... you cannot force anyone to like or accept your film...

"I am very proud of what we accomplished. At least we made a movie. And you cannot take that away from me." - I never said otherwise... in fact, I said I commend anyone who can carry a project like this to completion...
    However, your film is out there on the net, and people *can* see it... and they have... how has not being hosted on TFN hurt that or taken that away from you? Simple answer: It hasn't...

Good luck on your next project, whatever that might be...

Fenn
    TFN FanFilms staff

17. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    I seem to be having trouble believing Wildstar hasn't been banned yet. Wildstar, what do u think u can accomplish by still posting here? Nothing good for can come of these arguments.

And kubrickisgod, you are being way too harsh when it comes to this film. Just because you don't like doesn't mean they just be deleted from existence. There are some films that are hosted by TFN that I really don't like, but that doesn't mean they should be thrown in the trash and never seen again. And I believe the director disassociated his film with his paintball game if that's what you're making your claims to. This thread needs to have a big lock on it, there is nothing to gain here. Wildstar, take your arguments with John, and the rest of the Fan Films staff, to PMs.

18. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    Review forthcoming.

For now, Wildstar, definitely check out the final segment of ChronoRadio #9. It might familiarize you with why you've received the response you have, what you have been oft compared to, etc., without rehashing the entire thing again on the board. It's a pretty close comparison.

Now, for a trip to get Dr. Pepper, the mail, and possibly the Sports Night DVD's...

19. kubrickisgod

kubrickisgod Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2003
    "And kubrickisgod, you are being way too harsh when it comes to this film. Just because you don't like doesn't mean they just be deleted from existence. There are some films that are hosted by TFN that I really don't like, but that doesn't mean they should be thrown in the trash and never seen again."

Why not just have it deleted? Once and for all get rid of his film? If the filmmaker really believes that he's done wrong to this forum and the people on it (a brief glance of this thread will prove my point), he should simply remove the film from circulation.

I'm not asking for censorship, I'm just asking for a goodwill gesture on behalf of the filmmaker to have the film remouved, this thread to be deleted and for all of us to simply MOVE ON.

It's much better to place this whole disgusting ordeal into the 'out of sight, out of mind' bin than to continuously autopsy a dead film.

The fact is this.

1) Nobody likes the film and we all find it to be one of the best examples of what NOT to host on TFN. Some friends of mine downloaded this dreck and they all too promptly deleted it shortly afterwards.

If anything, this film causes uncessary fragmentation of our collective hard-drives.

2) Even if George Lucas were to DEMAND TFN to host the film, they wouldn't now anyways.

The lines have been too harshly drawn in the sand and NOTHING the filmmaker could say or do will change anything.

All what the filmmaker can do now, is be gracious in accepting his failures and to kindly remove his film from circulation.

RESCUE ON ENDOR WILL NOT BE RESCUED.

THAT I GUARANTEE!

- Kev.

20. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    All what the filmmaker can do now, is be gracious in accepting his failures and to kindly remove his film from circulation.

Do you say that about EVERY film you dislike?

I'm beginning to think the thread should be deleted because it's been screwed up, and the filmmakers can start a new one when they're ready.

But saying the film should be deleted is a little much. And frankly it gives me real doubts that you know what the hell you're talking about, pal.

Heck, I wouldn't think that of the worst fan film I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen at least seventy. (EDIT: And believe me, I've seen some that were hundreds of times worse than Rescue on Endor. The horror. The horror.)

Nobody likes the film and we all find it to be one of the best examples of what NOT to host on TFN.

"Nobody"?
    "We all"?
    What do you have to say to me, who gave it a favorable review, or drippyzeo, who as I recall thought it was TFN-worthy?
    Or do we not exist in the register of Souls Worthy to Glimpse the Words of Almighty Kevin, who decides for the people?

Play time is over, Kev. The grown-ups want to talk now. Move along. Move along.

And make your own movie before deciding that someone else's is bad enough to be deleted from the whole of the Internet. What excellent films have you made lately, kubrick? (Heh, that was fun to type.)

Mods... sock check, please?

As you can see, my Jedi powers are far beyond yours. Now, back down.

Rick McCallum doesn't love you. [face_plain]

21. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Oddly, my review (about to go up once I re-download to fix the blasted glitch that keeps crashing quicktime in mid-film and making me jump past it manually) is also fairly favorable. I'm not entirely glowing, but moreso than not, even if the director's behavior seems to have been rather deplorable since the rejection.

22. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    Does anyone remember what constructive criticism sounds like?

As Adam said, Kubrick, you're the only one who said you hated the film. So why delete its existance from the net?

23. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Did I say 'other'? Yep. I've been dilligently copying/pasting the acidic/flaming remarks the filmmakers made and forwarded them to the moderators/hosts of other fanfilm websites.

Aw, common now. As much as we may dislike wildstar now, did you really have to erase his last remaining hopes of getting hosted?

24. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    And, like Adam, here's the review, straight from the "getting stuff ready for Tac's site" files...

STAR WARS: RESCUE ON ENDOR
    Review by Nathan P. Butler

RELEASE DATE: July 10, 2003
    GENRE: Star Wars
    RUNNING TIME: 12 MINUTES
    MEDIA TYPE: Quicktime / Color
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: www.dmzpaintball.8m.com/

CREDITS
    Screenplay: Tom Brown
    Story: Jerry Munsie and Tim Brown
    Director: Tim Brown
    Producers: Jerry Munsie and Tom Brown
    Animation: Tom Brown and L.K. Labrecque
    Tecnhical Consultant: James Parsons
    Set Design: Jerry Munsie
    Set Construction: Jerry Munsie; Tim Brown; and Tom Brown
    Fight Choreographer: Jerry Munsie
    Costumes: Jerry Munsie and Melanie Shuker
    Props: Jerry Munsie
    Music: John Williams
    Sounds: Ben Burtt
    Sound Design: L.K. Labrecque
    Editing: L.K. Labrecque and Tim Brown
    Production Assistants: Deanna Brown and Melanie Shuker

CAST
    Lance: Tim Brown
    Porkenz: Greenwin Properties Inc.
    Scout Troopers: Jerry Munsie; Tom Brown; Matthew Wasilewicz; Melanie Shuker; Jamie Peters
    Imperial Officer: Joe Prokop
    Darth Vader: Jason Gaudet
    X-Wing Pilot: John H. VanOphem
    Stormtrooper / X-Wing Pilot: Chris Leigh
    X-Wing Pilot: Annette Disilets
    General: Jerry Munsie
    TIE Fighter Pilots: Jerry Munsie and Jason Gallagher
    X-Wing Pilot: Jason Gallagher
    Red Leader: Tom Brown
    Mechanics: Deanna Brown and Katharine Gallagher
    Voice of Darth Vader: Ben Fletcher

First off, let me give a suggestion to all fan film makers, not just the "Rescue on Endor" team. When you are doing credits for your film, pick one of the following:

1. Credit everyone separately for every job, so that if Bob does three things, there are three separate credits for Bob, or if three people did one job, there are three separate credits for that job.

2. Credit all people as few times as possible, so that if Joe was writer, director, producer, star, editor, and lead effects artist, we see his name once with all of those jobs.

3. Credit all jobs as few times as possible, so that if there were four people credited as "set construction," or somesuch, there is one credit for that job, with four names by it.

In other words, don't do a hodge-podge of those three. Granted, few will look at your credits, but this film gave me a definite sense that something needs to be said for consistent credits. If you have four people credited as X-wing Pilots, and want to list them all separately for some reason, go for it, but if you do, then you should do the same for your Scout Troopers. Otherwise, it looks inconsistent and bothers the hell out of people like me, who end up bothering to view and note the credits.

Now, a preface to the actual review: This film was submitted to TFN Fan Films and was rejected. In the immediate aftermath, the director/star/other-things-guy, Tim Brown, turned around and blasted TFN Fan Films for that decision. In essence, it was "A Deception of the Force" all over again, only this time from a project's director. To quote my own article on "notions of entitlement" in the fan film community:

"Fan film makers are a proud lot, and their creations are often as precious as children, in a sense. But being a film maker entitles you to nothing. Being an artist and putting your work out there for all to see doesn't even entitle you to a response, but it does entitle those you ask to view your work the right to critique that work or choose whether or not to host it on their own servers as they see fit, if you submit to them for that purpose."

Now, with ADOTF's situation firmly in mind, I made it a point not to read much of the arguments made by Mr. Euren (oops, I mean Brown!) after the film's rejection. Thus, I hope I can provide a fair and balanced review, based on the film itself. For the record, though, some members of the fan film community need to grow up. Quickly.

THE STORY

I've heard this story criticized because the hero does not succeed. The hero isn't the one who gets the Death Star plans to the Rebel Alliance. The Bothans do it.

Well, uhm, yeah. But

25. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I'm almost afraid to post here, but what did everyone think of the cranky X-Wing pilot? "But sir!"

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.