main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - Rescue on Endor is now finished!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Wildstar99, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Aw, common now. As much as we may dislike wildstar now, did you really have to erase his last remaining hopes of getting hosted?

Yeah, come on kubrick! Is your sole goal in life to sabotage "Rescue on Endor" as much as possible? If you really don't like it as much as you say you do, I got an even better idea than flaming it all over place, don't watch it at all! No one's twisting your arm to watch it dude.

2. Eizo1987

Eizo1987 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2003
    Is this a classic case of something people seem to dislike but keep talking about it anyway? lol :D

3. BADGERGIRL

BADGERGIRL Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2003
    Bravo Nathan.....Not because you liked the film but you were one of the few that made your opinion very clear about the film. I too believe if the director hadn't gone off the deep end like he did (sorry but that's my opinion) I think the film would have stood on its own. Not to re-hash the hashed but, TFN can post anything they feel correct on this web site...it would have been great I suppose, as you put it for the director and those conected to the film to post it somewhere else and had a better acceptance with it. Then you could say..they would have had bragging rights.

As for myself I give anyone credit for attempting to make a film whether it is a work of art or just plain crap. Even though I am a huge Star Wars fan one thing I never have done so far is read "any" of the novels that have spawned from the Lucas Universe. I give more credit for someone attempting to put their ideas down on film..it takes a hell of a lot more work to actually make a film then it is to write a novel.

Hell, I even get a kick out of the fan films that use legos.

4. Eizo1987

Eizo1987 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2003
    There are fan films that use lego? LINK PLEASE! :D:D

5. Wildstar99

Wildstar99 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2003
    I'm sorry but I have to comment....

Nathan, thank you for the best review I've ever read about our film....it is most appreciated. I wish there were more fans like you...

And I'm not saying this because you liked my acting. I'm flattered but some people have told me they didn't like my acting and that's fine too...to each his own.

Once again, my big grip was why didn't they host it....I have my reasons now so it's no longer an issue and I would appreciate people not commenting about that aspect anymore...it's over with. Done. Finished. Finito. Drop it. The reason I came here posting the link to my film was because of the lack of response from TheForce.net itself...so I took matters into my own hands and posted it here...which, even though everybody seems to hate me now, I'm glad I did. At least some people are talking about and enjoying my film and that, as a filmmake, makes me happy.

Once again, thanks for the kind words Nathan.

Tim

6. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    It seems I have inadvertantly become the Harlan Ellison of the Star Wars fanfilmmaking community!! Love me or hate me, you can't ignore me!! (By the way, that is said with sarcasm)

Let me ask a question: Why do people get hostile when a filmmaker defends his movie? I have thanked everybody for their comments. I sincerely appreciate everyone's response...good and bad. Especially bad. It's amazing how much I agree with the negative comments about Rescue on Endor...

Let's try to steer away from my earlier comments and discuss the film...I'm happy to discuss it with anyone who wishes to discuss it with me...like I have been all along.

Tim

7. Jedi_KNick

Jedi_KNick Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2003
    Uh, you brought this upon yourself.

Here's some advice, SHUT IT!!!

-KNick

8. kubrickisgod

kubrickisgod Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2003
    "Aw, common now. As much as we may dislike wildstar now, did you really have to erase his last remaining hopes of getting hosted? "

Hmm..looks as though my post got deleted/mysteriously dissapeared.

All what I said was that I took some of Wildstar99's more acidic/negative comments, and forwarded them (original links to this forum included) to other fanfilm websites. I didn't do anything at all to edit/tailor for effect what Wildstar99 wrote either. I just sent the link and quotes. Nothing was ever taken out of context (Would be pretty hard to).

Two seperate hosts/admins wrote me back thanking me for giving them the 'heads up' on this otherwise unfortunate turn of events. They mainly just said that if they get a submission from a RESCUE ON ENDOR film, they'll just delete it 'sight-unseen'.

For all intents and purposes, I'm just doing the public a service. Do you think TFN would even want to review/reject this film in the FIRST place if they knew how much of a hubub it was going to cause them?

Of course not.

I don't get it. There are watchdog groups monitoring organizations over such things, everything from the look of a box of detergent, to how someone said something on a t.v. show. These watchdog groups will notify and express concern to the networks. Generally the networks will comply and do their best to help rectify the situation.

I'm not telling these host/admins to delete the RESCUE ON ENDOR film submission. I just forwarned them and their reactions were expected.

- Kevin.

9. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    There are fan films that use lego? LINK PLEASE!

You haven't seen that Episode III trailer in the non-hosted section? ;)

10. kubrickisgod

Jul 13, 2003
    "NATHAN'S FINAL RATING

4 stars (out of 5)"

You gave Rescue on Endor 4 out of 5. That's a radical difference from the D+/BOMB ratings that I've been seeing for it.

This naturally prompts me then to ask you a rather improtant question (I think anyway)

Question: Do you disagree with TFN's rejection decision over RESCUE ON ENDOR?

Whatever the case, there are a few stray 'fans' of this film. Still though, I hardly would call that a polarizing effect. People by and large firmly agree with TFN's decision. Rescue on Endor was thankfully rejected by TFN.

So what's your agenda then Nathan? Are you friends with the filmmakers? Why such of a glowing review? 4 out of 5 is pretty high.

- Kev.

11. kubrickisgod

Jul 13, 2003
    "And I'm not saying this because you liked my acting. I'm flattered but some people have told me they didn't like my acting and that's fine too...to each his own. "

I didn't like any of the performances, your's or Porky-Porkins-Pig who died at the beginning.

If anything in terms of production values, the surefire way to sink a film is by getting your friends/family to star in it. Ben Fletcher's voice was the only saving grace, but still nothing could pull it out of the BOMB rating I gave Rescueless On Endor.

The only thing I will grant that was good was Nathan's review. He actually had the stomach to spend the time to write a comprehensive review. Still though, I completely disagree with his rating.

- Kevin.

12. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    kubrick, despite your hate with more than a passion for this film, there are those who enjoyed the film. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so are the people who liked the movie. I personally did not like it but doesn't mean I'm going to demand an explanation from everyone who enjoyed it.

13. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    That's a radical difference from the D+/BOMB ratings that I've been seeing for it.

Where are all these ratings? How 'bout a link? I'd be real interested in all these other reviewers floating around.

So what's your agenda then Nathan?
    He reviews fan films.
    Are you friends with the filmmakers?
    He is not.
    Why such of a glowing review?
    He liked it, I guess.

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Kubrick is God

I have been reading your posts from the beginning and I have to ask...what did you REALLY think of Rescue on Endor?? :)

Seriously, though, you're way off the mark....in fact, I won't even dignify this with a response...you're a child. When you grow up some, give me a call.

Tim

15. doggans

Aug 31, 2002
    That's a radical difference from the D+/BOMB ratings that I've been seeing for it.

Translation:
    "That's a radical difference from the D+/BOMB ratings that I've been giving it."

16. LittlePitcher

LittlePitcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    "you're a child. When you grow up some, give me a call." - Oh, boy, now THAT is funny! Take some of your own advice, Wildstar.... :D

LP

17. doggans

Aug 31, 2002
    LP, you may or may not notice that Wildstar has cooled down considerably since his ranting and raving...

EDIT: Just to clarify, this does not mean I agree with his earlier rants and raves.

18. Wildstar99

Jul 10, 2003
    Thank you Doggans :)

I never insinuated that you did agree with me...it seems you still don't like me even though you don't know me.

19. kubrickisgod

Jul 13, 2003
    "kubrick, despite your hate with more than a passion for this film, there are those who enjoyed the film. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so are the people who liked the movie. I personally did not like it but doesn't mean I'm going to demand an explanation from everyone who enjoyed it. "

I'm sure there are people whom enjoyed Rescueless...namely friends and family.

I'm just asking Nathan if he thinks TFN was incorrect in rejecting Resculess.

If the rating was 2 out of 5, that would make sense, but 4 out of 5? That would sound like TFN only takes in 5 out of 5 films.

For myself, I love the majority of the films on TFN, and what made me decide to become proactive over my anger on Resculess was the pious/acidic nature of the Filmmaker.

Beyond that, I also truly didn't like the film, and i guarantee that if TFN hosted it, it would of only of lowered the bar. Other mediocre films would come out of the woodwork and demand to be hosted, they would continuously use RESCUELESS as their rallying cry. I also self-appointed myself as a resident watchdog.

If anything Rescueless inspired me to monitor for other crybaby filmmakers and to become proactive in cease/.desist their films through whatever legal means (warning other fanfilm sites over their behaviour etc).

I'm not here to flame, but from what I read, I saw how the filmmaker was attempting to bait/troll everyone. Fanfilmmakers must realize that there is a fine line and if they cross it, they should be put back in their place. The lesson here should be loud and clear, don't disrespect the staff of TFN. This is their playground and we are all but guests here.

- Kevin

20. doggans

Aug 31, 2002
    The lesson here should be loud and clear, don't disrespect the staff of TFN. This is their playground and we are all but guests here.

OK, I agree with that, but that does not mean you have to completely and utterly flame a film. I myself do not care for some professional actors or directors--I disagree with their lifestyle, etc--but that doesn't mean I hate every film they make.

21. kubrickisgod

Jul 13, 2003
    "LP, you may or may not notice that Wildstar has cooled down considerably since his ranting and raving..."

It's just politics now. Wildstar99 is still playing to harass TFN.

I guarantee you this, slight Wildstar99 and you'll see another tirade. Or did you so quickly forget his loving tyrant over democracy/freedom?

He was making TFN sound like some Nazi-state. Quite offensive in every respect.

- Kev

22. kubrickisgod

Jul 13, 2003
    "OK, I agree with that, but that does not mean you have to completely and utterly flame a film. I myself do not care for some professional actors or directors--I disagree with their lifestyle, etc--but that doesn't mean I hate every film they make."

I've only fortunately seen only ONE of WildStar99's film (assuming he made more than one).

My review was not a flaming review. It was a straight up review which expressed incredible dissapointment over this much overhyped piece of dreck.

As is right now, the various fanfilm websites I am writing to has very little to do with the Rescueless film itself. It's mainly a gentle warning to the admins that if they receive the submission, they pretty much have NO CHOICE whether to host it or not.

for if they don't host it, they'll get trashed/flamed by the filmmakers.

- Kevin.

23. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    Kubrick, I'm not sure I like your accusatory tone. Don't make an enemy here.

I gave it that rating because I feel it deserves it. For whatever reason, be it my mindset at the time, the run of the mill feel of a lot of the fan films I've seen (and I have 15+ archive CDs here of nothing *but* fan films that I'm going through and indexing this week, finally), or my experience with the XWRS comics, the film just really struck me the right way. I'm not sure why a 4/5 was odd, given that one of the first full-fledged reviews, from a fellow Tac's site reviewer who has done a lot more reviews than I have, was a B (80% = B = 4/5).

I'd never seen the film makers of this one, as far as I know, before seeing the film, and I spoke to no one about the film before posting the review, other than my "review is coming" style post here, not even my usual compatriot, Chris. (He was just as surprised at my rating, apparently, as anyone else.)

Do I agree with the decision about hosting? First, it's not my place to do so, as I don't see the same playing field that they do. Do I think the film is a decent little piece of work? I think that it's better in some aspects than some fan films on TFN, but that's an issue of opinion, and of timing in relation to when certain films were chosen. Given their need for being picky, I'm not sure that they should or shouldn't have hosted it. I think the better question is whether I agree with their critque of it, so if you'll point me to that critique, I'll certainly let you know.

You've got the review. Those are my honest, unbiased throughts. I wonder how many actually bothered to view the film before partaking in the tantrum.

There's absolutely no excuse for actions like the director's upon learning of the film's rejection, but those who then pan the *film* for the *individual's* actions have no leg to stand on either. When you take time out to review something, especially if it's meant for eventual archiving among many other reviews, you need to be able to leave situations and individuals at the door, and base your comments primarily on what you see in the content. I saw a good little film with the feel of the comic adventures, particularly "Mandatory Retirement," that I was a big fan of back in the early Dark Horse SW comic days.

If you don't agree with the review, that's your perogative. Write your own review. Ebert's thumbs down doesn't prevent Roeper from giving a thumbs up if he feels differently.

24. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    And kubrick, what are YOU here for?

Let's assume you are not a sock.

For someone who seems so intent on defending TFN and who knows so much about fan films and the community, I notice that you only bothered to register when this film came out and have done nothing on the ENTIRE FORUM but bash Rescue on Endor.

An active and contributive community member gets a lot more respect and attention than a random guy off the street who comes to shout, I guarantee you that.

Also, Nathan, LOL @ the stretched-neck comment. I noticed that but couldn't think of anything to say about it.

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    "Also, Nathan, LOL @ the stretched-neck comment. I noticed that but couldn't think of anything to say about it."

It took me a bit. I just kept thinking of some old movie I still can't identify where someone was hanged and ended up with a screwed up neck. Maybe it was "Death Becomes Her." It's gonna bug me until I figure it out. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.