main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Resistance Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Some interesting ideas there, just wished they had someone like Ron Howard to make sure it made sense for the ST trilogy.
    They still haven't revealed enough about this new series to leave me feeling encouraged since how do they not ruin tlj given the mess it leaves everything in?

kalzeth likes this.
  2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    TLJ pretty much already gave the characters that will be introduced into this series a way to survive. Remember at the end of the movie Leia says they have allies out there that they are trying to call for help. Also characters from TFA that were not in TLJ (Jess Pava and Snap Wexley) were said to be out on a mission. They could easily group the characters from this upcoming series in with them.

3. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    But not a good place to start!
    Unlike the Clone Wars animated series they don't have the means to create a good series as it would swiftly demonstrate how bad tlj was!
    They need to build their own world and bible to correct that mess!
    Will they willingly risk turning tlj into Disney's own Holiday Special?!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    The Last Jedi may have been bad according to something like 50 percent of the most fanatic fan base (at worst), but it was actually critically acclaimed and for example in IMDB it is 7,3, much better than TPM and AOTC, almost as high as ROTS (7,6). I think rightly so, it was a good movie IMHO.

So TLJ was nowhere near Holiday Special, that is generally hated by almost everyone, including Lucas himself- it is 2,3 in IMDB. That is extremely low. It is simply a fact that Holiday Special is generally disliked but TLJ is not, sure it divides the audience and has a lot of passionate haters. But unlike Holiday Special there is also a great number of people who like it. This cannot be ignored no matter what you think of it. General opinion is not so negative while some individuals seem to think TLJ is the worst thing ever.

And therefore it is simply not true that The Last Jedi would in anyway bring the Resistance down. It doesn't limit in anyway the quality of the story or anything else in the Resistance. It is easy to follow the continuity but still create a story that even those who hated TLJ can enjoy. The Clone Wars didn't suffer from TPM and AOTC while prequels were generally hated by most critics and fans alike. TLJ was never hated by the critics and even many fans liked it.

In my opinion it would be hard to create any animated series that would make TLJ to look bad, on the contrary it would be hard to create animated show that would be even near the quality of the Last Jedi and I'm not even expecting that. (Many may find that sentence ironic but I'm actually serious, I liked TLJ and I think critics are right, it was a good movie!) For example Rebels was much worse than Rogue One IMHO so I don't expect the Resistance to be much better. I hope it is, but it seems unlikely.

I find it absurd to complain that TLJ would ruin the Resistance somehow. Sure they will be connected but I think that Resistance works on it's own as well. It should.

In fact I think that The Clone Wars series had an awful place to start after ROTS, since it went back in time and changed the existing continuity between the movies in a way that created huge problems for continuity (Ahsoka being Anakin's padawan etc.) but it managed to make it pretty nicely in the end. Resistance however doesn't suffer from same limitations- Kazuda Xiono can live through the show and he can be anywhere during TFA and TLJ- we don't see every single resistance member close. He can also die, be imprisoned, turn to bad guy or anything. There is no limiting continuity issues as there is with established characters like Anakin Skywalker or Obi-Wan Kenobi or Han Solo who need to end up in the same situation we have already seen them.

5. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Count me in for wanting Resistance to simply focus on the pilots going up against x, y and z and leave out the mystical force side of things. We’ve had two shows focused on that and it’d be a nice change of pace to focus on other aspects of Star Wars. I want this to be the Rogue One of the tv shows - strong focus on ground troops, espionage etc just not as bleak.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well that goes back to the debate about who the antagonists would be besides Phasma. If the mystical force side of things won't be included; you can't have Kylo and/or Snoke manhandling these pilots like they were toys.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think it is guaranteed it won't be that bleak as Rogue One- it is mainly for kids anyway. I personally liked the bleakness of R1 but sure it didn't need to be as bleak as it was. But I afraid they won't leave mystical stuff completely out. If only they wouldn't focus on it too much...

I disagree with that- surely Force can be used against the heroes (or for the heroes), but no alternate dimensions, physical gods or magic wolves. That is what I mean with leaving the mystical force side of things out. Sure it doesn't work if Kylo and Snoke are antagonists in every episode, but Vader was in Rogue One without any jedi or even magic wolves and it worked. Snoke is bound to be main antagonist anyway since he leads the first order at the time.

Force-users are not even that powerful in new canon they would necessarily be "manhandling them like toys"- in TCW jedi and even sith were many times captured, overpowered and even killed by non-force users. Including people like Dooku. In many episodes jedi were opposing non-Force users and in some episodes non-jedi opposed even sith (like Fives in order 66 arc).

8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    TLJ is (and will always be) considered just fine by a vast majority of the fan base. Sure some obsessive fans like to spend all day long posting online and making youtube videos about how much they hated it (and a lot of the youtubers are doing so mainly to try to get an audience base going) but a large majority of the people that saw the movie thought it was a perfectly fine Star Wars installment.

There is talk about Solo potentially getting a 200m OW now and that definitely wouldn't be happening if TLJ was truly as divisive as some of the people that hated the movie are claiming.

podjazd and Swashbucklingjedi like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Vader was essentially a background character in R1; and if you want to talk about manhandling the pilots "like toys", just rewatch the hallway scene. If Kylo and or Snoke are involved in the series; it would be better served if they were left on their ships so the expendable First Order troops could do the dirty work.

10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm sure there will be lots of different enemies in this show. And I imagine we will come across many different threats and adventures than just the ones that deal with the First Order. There can't really be much conflict between the Resistance and First Order in this movie as even in the Poe comic (which will take place after this series most likely) they were still under orders to not attack each other. For all intents and purposes the war between the Resistance and FO didn't start until TFA. When there is Resistance and FO interaction in this series it will mainly be about gauging the threat that the FO is becoming.

podjazd likes this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well isn't that kind of similar to what Rebels was; at least in the beginning? There was no Rebellion to speak of prior to the events of ANH. It was all about secret missions to gain the edge that would eventually launch the campaign.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well it is a little bit different. They were still fighting the Empire in Rebels but the Rebellion just couldn't have any large scale successes. In this new show there should be very little fighting going on between them period.

13. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    The show will do whatever it likes to do to serve its primary audience (i.e. young new Star Wars fans on DXD). The Clone Wars didn't listen to all the naysaying about Anakin not having a Padawan or Maul being dead. Rebels didn't restrain itself for dogma like "The Rebels can't have a major victory!" and "There can be no Jedi so close to the OT." Both shows proved to be highly popular regardless and those elements were among the most popular.

And Resistance won't box itself in for ST orthodoxy either.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Vader killed a lot of rebel pilots in the Rebels and rebels had to run away, why Kylo cannot do the same in Resistance is beyond me. Vader was active character in R1 too- even though not the main character- hardly background character still, similarly Kylo could work in Resistance (although such carnage is off-question in children's show). Sure ten something Rebels didn't match for Vader in battle, but ultimately they won the day over Scarif, Vader was outfoxed by Leia and he failed in his mission. Of course Vader soon caught them over Tatooine, and still failed in his mission and was outfoxed again. He is not invincible and no jedi was even involved before Obi-Wan entered the picture. Sure Leia is force-sensitive and all but that played no part in that.

I don't want Kylo to be recurring villain either- even less the sole recurring villain, but he sure would be a great finale villain for some episodes. I don't think you catch my drift or then we just disagree what would make a good Star Wars story.

To be fair these elements still caused huge storyline limitations and obvious problems for these shows- Ahsoka's existence and Maul's revival were Lucas' ideas and problematic for others. Filoni himself obviously disliked bringing Maul back, which is seen how he was killed off fast in the Rebels and Kanan had to be killed off for the continuity. Ahsoka-issue was so big Filoni had to include time travel to Rebels to save her from the certain death.... Just because they managed somehow in those shows to cope with these obvious problems that is not a good reason to do same mistakes again.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The issue is that having an OP character like Kylo front and center without even an untrained force sensitive person like Rey to counter him puts the protagonists at a disadvantage immediately. Kylo may not be on the level that Vader was; but he's far beyond a match for a non-force user like some of your favorite pilots like Poe and Wedge. Why give the edge to the antagonists?

16. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Ahsoka's existence was actually Filoni's idea - the fact that she was apprenticed to Anakin rather than some new character was Lucas.

Kanan was not killed off for "continuity" - he was killed off to give Ezra the main protagonist an example about sacrifice and force him to come on his own. His death had a story purpose within Rebels and it wasn't about preserving Luke's exclusivity. If it was the latter, Jacen Syndulla wouldn't have been teased.

The time travel aspect was introduced so that Ezra would be faced with the temptation to undo Kanan's death and be forced to learn the Jedi lesson of letting go. Saving Ahsoka merely served to show Ezra that the power was possible. If Filoni didn't want to be backed in a corner regarding keeping Ahsoka alive, all he had to do was not put her in a cage match with Vader in the first place.

In the early days, Filoni himself had some trepidation about some of Lucas's ideas but he himself has talked in interviews about how Lucas taught him "Don't ask why. Ask why not? What are you afraid of? Don't let fear drive you." And that attitude shows in Rebels. And it will show again in Resistance. And frankly, that's the only reason I'm even giving this show a chance.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    And I'm still not convinced that it wasn't Filoni's initial intention to kill off Ahsoka's character had TCW been allowed to continue through the end. But that's really a discussion for her own thread in here.

18. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    I wish I had your faith in tlj but I don't!
    That however doesn't mean I want star wars to fail, quite the opposite but I don't like what they pulled in episode 8 and sincerely don't want Solo or the new animated series used to shore up what I disliked.
    My main fear with Star Wars Resistance is that they're going to forget the difference between this and Star Wars Rebels is that they now have X-Wings but they can't use them if they're serious about undercover missions.
    Kylo cannot get involved but that doesn't mean they can't introduce the Knights of Ren given they're supposed to be mercenaries loyal to Kylo only.
    Snoke clearly had considerable influence in the New Republic to remain one step ahead of Leia's Resistance that doesn't require supertech or the force what i'm asking is demonstrate how badly the Resistance has been betrayed by the New Republic via Snoke's allies who helped force Leia out!

I want to be surprised to discover a genuine improvement just like Lego Freemaker does and yet remains true to its source material is that too much to ask?

cwustudent likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Bobby Moynihan was on the most recent episode of the Star Wars show. As you may know, he's going to voice one of the characters in Resistance!
    Here's the information we got. Hold on to your hats because it is juicy!

Anthony Carboni: Can you tell us anything about your character in Resistance?
    Bobby Moynihan:
    Nope.

Thanks Starwars.com for the hot scoop!

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Kanan is not a force ghost so that can't really happen.

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    As I said I don't think Kylo needs to be recurring villain or that Poe or Wedge should match for him one-on-one dogfight, but his appearance would bring actual danger there when it is needed- for example in finale. If he appears heroes need to retreat just because they don 't match for him and they know it (especially after he demonstrates his skills) besides we don't even know if is Kazuda is actually force-sensitive. I would more willingly accept untrained yet force-sensitive pilots than jedi in the show. But remember that Vader in ANH was defeated actually by Han Solo- sure Luke destroyed the Death Star, but only because Solo saved him. Who actually defeats Vader in the battle of Yavin is Han- not Luke.

Grievous killed many padawans and jedi knights, order 66 showed that clones match for jedi when they outnumber them etc. so there is enough evidence in canon that non-force sensitive may sometimes defeat force-sensitive- even Vader. So sure it is also possible for a fleet of Resistance pilots to match Kylo Ren- without any force sensitives- Force sensitivity may give Kylo the efficiency of let's say 15 or so non-sensitive pilots, but what if there is 16 or more- he may be overwhelmed and actually forced to retreat to avoid being killed. There is no demand for any other force sensitives- just a strategy that nullifies the effect of the force.

Because that makes a good story IMO- in original SW who has power to destroy planets? Who rules the galaxy? Who controls everything in prequel era? Which one is more powerful in sequels. Antagonists of course. Otherwise it is not interesting.

Why Rebels was not that good IMO was exactly because empire was represented often only by inept persons- better ones like Vader and Thrawn were the best things in the show. I want my heroes to be against antagonists that have an edge- since that is actually interesting to watch. Sure Jedi versus Sith can be interesting as well, but I want that to happen on era it makes sense- thousands of years before prequels.

What makes you think that all the missions in the show are undercover? I think that we will see a lot of X-wing missions as well- I get the picture that Resistance openly defies the First Order- that is not the secret.

Sure they keep their bases, their exact numbers, their supporters and their supply lines secret, but they cannot hide their weapons and vehicles if they use them. Republic backing the Resistance is not really a real secret either, since FO knows it, but that is thanks to their spies in the Republic- Republic doesn't openly support Resistance- so any connection between Republic suppliers, senators and such is probably better to keep secret. That may be why they need to deal with weapon merchants with shady backgrounds and questionable motives, like the owner of the Libertine (the ship from Canto Bight) who sells fighters and bombers to both parties. It seems anyone with money and connections can get some X-wings or Tie-fighters from guys like that weapons dealer.

Sure undercover missions may require infiltration and such, but if they need for example to blow up certain first order's outpost or star destroyer- why not to use X-wings then? Cover is blown anyway if they open fire- and Resistance having X-wings is not a secret for anyone in TFA. When X-wings arrive on Takodana everyone immediately recognizes them as the Resistance fighters making it obvious Resistance has attacked FO before, with X-wings no less. Sure it is possible that show focuses more on espionage and infiltration in the First order, but Kazuda being a pilot it seems obvious that we are going to see some space action as well. I see nothing being forgotten or done wrong if that is the case.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  22. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    Given the First Order's apparent resources the Resistance wouldn't last long!
    The true reason Leia has been left alone for so long is because they can't do anything without Snoke being aware about it.
    It takes Leia getting suspicious before we reach the start of TFA.
    I figure this becomes obvious as whoever Kazuda is supposed to join up with either disappear or apparently wiped out before they can establish themselves.
    So Kazuda shouldn't be the intended operative he/she ends up contacted by Poe instead of whoever is supposed to be their spy and has to figure out what happened to their predecessor and avoid the same fate whilst establishing their identity.
    That's why they can't use X-Wings!
    There's no way they can avoid discover by doing the obvious ideally their cover identity say as racing pilots for one of the patrons of the tournament's used to raise funds and cover the various weapon and starship stuff the First Order can't construct themselves.
    The key is when they start the series and when!

23. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    I'll bet you money one of those pilots is Force Sensitive and then Ezra and Ahsoka come back and train her yadda yadda. Cue some Rebels nostalgia musical cues and then Luke suddenly pops in just in time for an autographed photo-shoot, recycling the 'Not the last of the old Jedi, the first of the new' speech from the EU.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  24. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    Could be worse than that!
    I had wondered why they didn't keep Poe involved then reveal ALL three were force sensitive!
    Rey raised by a Jedi Survivor on Jakku so she was a fully trained Padawan when she fought Kylo at end of TFA!
    Finn is the awakening of TFA not Rey!
    And Poe is Leia's Padawan revealing Kylo had been her Padawan when Snoke started corrupting him so much like Luke was in ANH, Poe is Leia's attempt to make amends for her mistake!

So yes could be worse!

25. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well.... I partially agree- but they probably ignore this and show Resistance lasting longer than it should in theory. Rebel Alliance and especially Lothal Rebels did much better against the Empire than they really should have and without any real resources- I don't expect they suddenly take more realistic approach in this show. Good guys will last long with their strong character shields, power of friendship and good luck/will of the Force. Yet I can accept this, since it is show mainly targeted towards kids anyway.

It obviously ignores this resource-difference point of view for sure. What good guys lack in resources they win in skill and luck. And I don't think First Order even should be that much better than the empire- it is it's successor state and has mainly the same flaws. Personally I think it's troopers should be just a bit more competent, but I doubt that they will even change that. I agree that more realistic approach could be nice, but I cannot really judge if they do kid's show for kids.

I don't think Snoke is that much more powerful than Palpatine (in fact he seems to be weaker since he never challenged Palpatine when he was Emperor)- he has the same flaws, but he seems even more sure of himself. He is not all-powerful- sure Resistance can win some battles against his troops and fleet even though we know that ultimately they cannot defeat him personally.

I think you assume too much now- we don't know if it goes that way at all. I think that we are bound to see some x-wing vs. tie fighter action since show is about the pilot not about the agent. Even if Kazuda poses as something else like racing pilot, and yes it really seems that he doesn't use X-wing (the ship seen in a logo, Kazuda's fighter I presume, looks more like a z-95 headhunter) I think that Poe at least surely does. X-wings, A-wings whatever we are going to see fighter-battles for sure. That's my point. Undercover agent-story would be interesting too, but actually Filoni has already confirmed it is a pilot-show- so I don't think it is necessarily undercover operative-show. Maybe there is one arc or two of undercover-plot or something. We will see.

Last edited: May 12, 2018