main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Rise of the Empire

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Aug 10, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    100% disagree with that interpretation, but I'll clarify on Tuesday :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Double posting because I can freely talk about this now.

Sloane is not in any way a Pelly analogue -- far from it. She had cooly managed the battle, proceeded as best she was able, and grasped the danger the Empire was in. Rather than retreat with her tail between her legs, as Pelly might've, Sloane kept order to prevent a rout.

Notably: Sloane was the ranking admiral at the time. It was her call to make.

Moreover, she had a plan: she knew the Empire couldn't confront this new, uncertain era in the standard way. This dovetails nicely with Aftermath and leads into it so well that I kinda wish this came out first.

Speaking of Aftermath, it turns out that Sloane's chrome pistol wasn't mentioned just as an Aftermath tie-in. Chekhov's gun, eg, Jason? :p

Anyway -- I loved Levers of Power. It's the Battle of Endor story I always wanted. It's exciting, harrowing, and tragic. I'm not kidding when I say that I was feeling really anxious as the story went on.

Also: RAE SLOANE.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Taalcon and JediMara77 like this.
  3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

That moment was SO COOL.

Also, agreed with Jello.

Taalcon likes this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Now that the book is out, can someone do a re-read and post the exact ship losses for the Empire at Endor. From what I have heard from my buddy Jello, this is detailed somewhat, but I'm really trying to get a sense of the Empire's overall losses. Since this is Jason, and he is referencing stuff he wrote for the EGTW, I wonder if it is safe to assume that the 50% losses described in that guide carry over to this story.

--Adm. Nick

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Fleet Junkies will be delighted to know there are references to battle cruisers and a Tector. I'm somewhat less delighted to see Executor called a dreadnought, but she wasn't called a Star Dreadnought so I'm still chill. :p

I'm really impressed that we've had three different authors write RAE SLOANE and have her feel exactly right each stage in her arc.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  6. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    The Executor was already classified as an "Executor-class Star Dreadnought" in "Ultimate Star Wars". So, to call her a "Dreadnought" seems consistent.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, they call her that in Ultimate Star Wars instead. :p

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My joy has turned to ashes in my mouth. I hope you're happy, guys. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That Endor short story was awfully tense for taking place solely on a bridge. That's sum gewd writing. :S

Taalcon and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  10. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    So you know the debt is paid?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Winter is Legends.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012

=((
    You... you're cruel.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sorry. I want her back too. :(

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I remember when we first saw Evaan Verlaine on the first cover for the Princess Leia series and asked J. D. White whether she was Winter. And he was like:
    "Who?"

:_|

15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

It's Jason Fry. He should write all the Star Wars.

16. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    For those that have this could I get a rough page count on the short story content? On the one hand I want it, but I already have AND & Tarkin :(

17. mattkyrell

mattkyrell Jedi Padawan

Sep 28, 2015
    Each of the 3 short stories run approximately 20-25 pages each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Thanks, maybe I'll give it a miss for now then.

19. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Wow. These stories are fantastic. Well done, everyone.

All of the stories were enjoyable, but Levels of Power was absolutely amazing.