main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Kyle, Bria, Keyan, et al would be so proud.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Do we know yet how the Geonosians fit into the planning of the Death Star?

3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Then if we want to retrieve the plans, we'll have to begin surgery immediately. Doctor Demagol, if you'll make the first incision please:

[​IMG]

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ask again in one month.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I just hope it's not completely skipped over. One potential strength of having a new canon is to make it feel more integrated.

my kind of scum and DelRiego like this.
  6. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    They've referenced the Geonosian involvement in the Darth Vader comic and in Rebels, so though I'd love them to reference the Geonosians in Rogue One I'd be ok with it if they didn't.

BobaMatt likes this.
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Honestly it may not have been a mistake. It's entirely possible they just need an exhaust port that big, and figure it's not a very big risk.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    However, bear in mind that there are pretty much no Geonosians anymore by Rogue One.

(I expect Catalyst will definitely cover this, though).

9. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    (spoiler for Bloodline novel)
    These rumors that the exhaust port was an intentional weak spot come from the novel Bloodline. In it, it is speculated that the whole trench run and blowing up the Death Star by hitting a target seems too unbelievable to be coincidental.

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Which seems, to me, to be an indication on the writer's part that it was coincidental, considering I can't imagine that they mean to play down Luke's shot.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's an obvious dig at Truthers, guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well yeah - my point is it's obviously not meant to be taken as a serious possibility. The dig depends on us knowing that it's not true.

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, the Death Star 2 apparently had a system that distributed heat without being such a security risk, but yeah - the Death Star needs an exhaust port, and when designing the billions upon billions of systems making such a thing it is not surprising that not everything was 100 efficient. Plus it was ray-shielded and protected by scanner-jammers that led missiles off course - at least in legends - and getting it down to just six meters is impressive when one considers the sheer amount of heat involved.

Doesn't stop people from complaining though. Makes me wonder what they would think of various poorly designed war machines in real life, like that battleship that capsized when it fired its own guns.

Proton torpedoes can't melt Durasteel Space Station Cores!

vncredleader and JediBatman like this.
  14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Also, like...if the only way to destroy your space station is if the Son of Suns is recovered by his father's former master and given just enough training to fire an impossible shot past your heretofore effective defenses after his friend the hardened criminal has a change of heart and mounts a surprise offensive, can it really be called a design flaw? I feel like everyone always forgets that part...

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Actually, it is just fortunate for the Empire that they wiped out so many Force sensitives that Luke was the only member of the Rebel fleet able to make the shot. And quite a few people other than Luke made a shot. Good thing for the Empire they all just happened to be non-Force users. If a ticked-off Darth Maul, Ahsoka, Ezra, defecting Inquisitors etc were in the fleet, destroying the Death Star doesn't seem so unlikely at all...

16. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Galen was probably only responsible for the super laser. I see him as the galaxy's leading expert on kyber crystals outside of the Jedi order, and since we've gotten increasing references to how they function on the new books, perhaps what it took the Empire nearly 20 years to do, was how fire the damn thing.

The geonosians already had designed the super structure, and had already thought out the super laser itself.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

17. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    "Luke's Change" is canon now?

CaptainPeabody and BobaMatt like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, Luceno is writing Catalyst, so that ought to reassure to a degree.

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    And the Geonosis connection is brought up in Tarkin, which he also wrote.

vncredleader, Jedi Ben and Taalcon like this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Disney has done a phenomenal job with the books, in terms of bridging the worlds of the old and new EU. (or would that be... "bridging the universes"?) I can't laud them enough for that. I wish Bloodlines had been part of the old EU -- it addresses so many pertinent points post-ROTJ the old EU never got around to developing. But it feels so old EU.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm suspecting Catalyst might give Tarkin a bit of a boost.

For myself, I'm not looking back at the old EU much any more, doesn't mean DE isn't going to be significant to me but it's over two years on so....

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It was. :p

[​IMG]

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

What about reading the old stuff for fun?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You can't look dignified when you're having fun.

And I always look dignified.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So you're basically confirming that you're no fun, right? :p

--Adm. Nick