main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Pablo Hidalgo said she was rounding off and couldn't really remember how long it was between.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Next month it'll have been exactly 20 years since I've spoken to my father but if you asked me a couple years ago I'd probably have called it "20 years" then too.

Oh ****, was that too real?

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

That does make complete since in universe. I do wonder if they were planning that all along or noticed they got the dates wrong after the book was already shipped so they created that story to cover for it?

4. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    They use the planetary shield over Scarif:
    [​IMG]
    in the last shot of Rogue One to match the iconic blue glow around Tatooine:
    [​IMG]
    in the first shot of Ep. IV.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...that's amazing.

6. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

If the official answer is that she's estimating, that makes sense, although I wonder if the real reason was a miscommunication during printing. There have been a few of those. For example, there's a running discrepancy as to Jyn's age as of the movie; some sources say twenty-one, other's say twenty-two.

7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Agreed. It is very likely that a mistake was made (like you said) during the printing process and they invented the story of her estimating just to cover that up. No big deal and occasional small mistakes like that are bound to happen when people are trying to create a vast fictional universe. Only real discrepancies that should be made a big deal about are things such as this material says this character was here at this time but that this other material says the character was at this other location during that same time.....things like that.

As far as Jyn's age goes its hard to tell exactly rather she is 21 or 22 as Catalyst wasn't real clear when exactly Jyn was born during The Clone Wars. I always thought that she was 21 but then again I may be wrong as I may have missed a quick reference to when exactly the birth took place.

8. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    FWIW, the comic out today has an (omniscient) caption noting the events on Lah'mu happened '15 Years Ago'

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Watched the BD last night. Was great to be able to freeze frame the quick shots of the Death Star that went by too fast to really appreciate in theaters- in particular when it fires at Scariff and you can see the Rebel fleet in front of it.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    The2ndQuest

Funny, as soon as I read your comment I went on youtube and found this in my suggested videos:

MercenaryAce and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    maybe, the further out the "focal point" at which the beams join is, the more powerful the central beam will be?

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Ahh ok so it looks like they will be going with what the movie said instead of what the visual guide said from this point forward. Makes since as very few of the people who watched the movie will actually read the visual guide (even amongst those that choose to delve into the EU).

Will be interesting when that Rebel Rising book being released next month says that event ocurred.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Taalcon likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Another observation, though perhaps obvious: the leg joint that the space monkey aboard the U-Wing targets is the same spit (though different leg) that the "lucky shot" from Rebel cannons hit during the Battle of Hoth.

I think it has more to do with targeting and proximity (and possibly camera angles). The citadel was really close by (and shot more head-on) whereas Alderaan was far away (and shot 3/4ths closer to profile).

The association with power would be the result of the explosion. The Death Star can be close to Scarif and Jedha when firing because it's only blasting a small area whereas it had to be further away from Alderaan to avoid being hit by the explosion and debris.

JediBatman likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So the comic is actually pretty cool -- has extra scenes not seen in the movie or novelization.

Including more Bail.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce and Ghost like this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Does he speak more at the two meetings?

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In the first scene with Mothma, Bail has a sidebar with her after Jyn leaves where they discuss what to do. Bail is doubtful anything will change, while Mothma says that this testimony must get the Senate to act. Bail thinks that everyone is either afraid or a collaborator at this point -- if they haven't spoken out before, they won't now. They both agree that either way, a war may be coming.

18. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Star Destroyer Executrix

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Is the adaptation six issues again? They usually seem so rushed compared to the movie that fitting in extra content, while welcome, seems tricky.

20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Six issues is pretty good. The average decompressed comic story arc is five or six issues. That's one trade paperback, give or take.

Shattered Empire, on the other hand, was a mere four issues and suffered for it, with an incomplete story, glossed over moments, and a lack of characterization.

A six-issue R1 re-telling should be just fine, as far as story-telling space goes.

21. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Yeah, I always worry about pace with adaptations. I was really happy with the first issue, but the amount of extra content made it feel like the beginning of a much longer series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    There's a very interesting discrepancy between the adult and junior novelizations of Rogue One.

In the adult novelization, a major story arc is Jyn dealing with her relationship with her father. She has a great deal of anger against him and has pretty much spent her entire life trying to cut herself off from the memories of him and doesn't want to see him ever again (as I recall, she basically feels like he rejected her in favor of Imperial service, clearly not understanding why he did what he did). So, as she goes on the mission and learns more details, she has to confront these issues as she re-evaluates what she's convinced herself of. It's some pretty powerful character stuff, added a lot to the movie when watching it with this in mind, and gives Jyn new layers of humanity.

The junior novelization doesn't touch that entirely. In fact, there's a throwaway line from one of Cassian's scenes where we're told that by just watching Jyn's eyes, you can tell that, despite the years of separation, she still loves her father very much.

Either scenario would work with what we see in the movie (in fact, when watching the movie for the first time, I actually assumed that Jyn didn't have hard feelings against him, like the jr. novel said). However, given that both novelizations are canon and the TFA adult/jr novelizations complimented each other so well, I'm kind of surprised that the books were allowed to be released despite claiming the exact opposite.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Treat it as if those are two different retellings of the same underlying myth or historical event.

That's basically what it is.

24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I have the adult novelization but am only about a chapter into it so far. But in regards to what you said anger and a feeling of betrayal towards a parent is still often a sign of love. Also it wouldn't be surprising they would try to downplay anger towards a parent a bit in a jr novel.

JediBatman likes this.
  25. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Well, Jyn being angry at her dad and loving him aren't mutually exclusive.