main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    That's all very fair, but I do wonder how the movie wound up such a mess, especially considering that many of the issues Gilroy describes seem to have to do with the script.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, he's saying the original cut was bad not that the shoot was terrible, big difference.

4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    "This is a Rebellion isn't it? I rebel!"
    "The power we are dealing with is immeasurable!"
    “What will you do when they catch you? What will you do when they break you? If you continue to fight, what will you become?”

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    But that the cut was bad because the story it told was a mess, not just because it was assembled poorly.
    I'm actually disappointed 2 out of these 3 aren't in the movie.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The I Rebel line totally should have still been there, dangit

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm glad that was cut. They already turned Poe into a mutinous jerk, Luke into someone who runs away, Rey into a reckless padawan who skipped her training to "save" Kylo--we needed Jyn as a straight up hero.

There's so much of a trend in the new canon to just subvert heroes, i.e. what they did to Luke in 8, that we're forgetting what a true hero is. We didn't need more of that trend in Rogue One. It's one of the things that makes Rogue One one of the sole works I like about the new canon.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Jyn isn't exactly a tried and true blue hero, hell she's more selfish than Rey at the start.

Sarge likes this.
  9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    By this standard hasn't every film hero besides Jyn been a subversion?

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  10. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I for one would have appreciated a snarkier Jyn.

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Frodo was a good hero. Kirk and picard are straight heroes (not new kirk though). So is captain america.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm talking about SW films because you seemed to suggest it's a problem specifically with nuCanon characters.

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    OT Luke, obi wan, and ahsoka are straight heroes.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    You mean the Luke who recklessly abandoned his training? You mean the Obi-Wan who also ran away to play the long game and who lied? What you criticise the nuCanon heroes for has always been a characteristic of these characters.

Ahsoka is primarily nuCanon in my opinion.

Kev-Mas_Colcha and Jedi Princess like this.
  15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I have a feeling that if we saw the 'I Rebel' line within the context of the movie it wouldn't have seemed as awkward as it did in the trailer.

From what we have gathered the main things that were changed by the reshoots we're the ending battle as well as Jyn's overall personality.

I have a feeling TPTB didn't feel like Jyn was a very relatable character in the original cut so the reshoots turned her into someone the audience could root for. My guess is that originally Jyn was still part of the Partisans at the time the movie took place and was as cynical as Saw was.

However I don't think there is any proof that a lot of people wouldn't have enjoyed the movie if it didn't have those changes made. I think Disney was just concerned that the movie wouldn't have a real wide appeal if it didn't have that main character people could root for.

The latest article really doesn't say much new as we already knew that Gilroy was brought in because they thought the movie needed some additional work.

Gilroy saying the film was a mess doesn't really mean that much unless he specifically states what was wrong with it. Just saying something was a mess or that there was a lot of work to be done on it could have lots of different meanings with lots of varying degrees of just how much of a mess it truly was.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    BigAl6ft6, Kev-Mas_Colcha and Sarge like this.
  16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The finished film was amazing regardless of whatever turmoil came before, and that's what really matters in the end.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Very much agreed. I really don't care how troubled the production/filming can be, as long as I enjoy the final product.

18. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I seem to recall another Star Wars film that had a troubled production. Prop breakdowns, actors openly mocking the script, everything being behind schedule, the studio having little faith in it, huge stresses on the director. I think this film was released in 1977 . . .

19. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Ironically in light of comments made above, Jyn's arc here is very similar to Luke's in TLJ; cynical and withdrawn from the fight at the start, convinced to take a limited stand for personal reasons tied to family, ultimately see the greater cause and sacrifice themselves for it.

That said, I'm not at all surprised to discover that this arc was grafted somewhat retroactively onto Rogue One. I like it a lot, but the least of the three Disney era films, and a big reason for that is that the characters are (With the exception of maybe Cassian) very thinly sketched out. Jyn is the prime example because her giant, central character turn, flipping her from cynic with limited involvement to fully committed to dying for the cause (Her equivalent of Luke's conversation with Yoda in TLJ) occurs entirely off-screen and seems incredibly jarring when it happens. If it was basically added in reshoots, then that makes a lot of sense.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.