main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Nah,
    he obviously gets a long-due vacation after getting the DS1 up and running. Then, 2 days later, he gets a call in his hotel room from Palpatine (in full-on Robot Chicken mode):

[​IMG]

"Krennic! Buddy! Direct-o-Rama! How's the vay-cay going? Yeah, yeah that place sounds real classy- Sheila highly recommended it. So, so, we were all so impressed at how you managed to get that darn Death Star up and running that we're really going to need you back in the office ASAP and, ya know, do it again for us. From scratch. What's that? Oh, we need to build another one. What happened to the last one? Funny story/long story. Stolen plans, exhaust port, Aluminum Falcon. An-y-ways, I'll be damned if they didn't blow the whole thing up! So, like I said, we're gonna need a new one. What's that? Are we comping your hotel? (Sheila! Are we comping his hotel? Yes?) Yes. Sheila says we're comping it. Anyways, I've gotta take another call right now. Have you ever tried to stick a Mon Cal's head onto a droid before? Take my advice and don't. Just don't. It will ruin sushi for you forever. For. Ever. I am not kidding. Gotta go, toodles!" (click!)

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So I like the reasoning we have for TIE Strikers and AT-ACTs (via Celebration):

-Strikers are designed for atmospheric combat.
    -AT-ACTs are mainly deployed in construction areas.

Both of these things fit given the plot of the movie.

CooperTFN and darklordoftech like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It kinda makes the TIE Striker the Imperial equivalent of the T-47, albeit one also capable of space flight and not strictly just an airspeeder.

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    But TIE/LN fighters are already capable of flying both in space and in atmosphere anyway...

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not the LAAT/i? The space variant of it:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Space_gunship/Legends

fits the "designed for atmosphere, but capable of spaceflight" niche pretty well. Does it have (limited) troop-carrying capacity?

6. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    That's what they tell you, but believe me, they don't hold up.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

The TIE Striker is a fighter, not a transport, I believe.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I did wonder - given how much like a TIE-ified U-wing it looks. I was expecting each to be one another's counterpart.

9. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I'm kinda hoping the Death Troopers are remaining clones.

BobaMatt likes this.
  10. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    I love this idea. At first I thought they would have to be a bunch of old dudes, but the last batch of clones produced might be younger.

BobaMatt likes this.
  11. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    They are. We've already seen one: Sergeant Torrent in "Smuggler's Run". I think he was described as looking to be in his 40s, so he's probably not the very last batch (as of Rogue One/ANH the very youngest would likely appear to be 38), but definitely younger'n 1st-gen clones like Rex[/quote]

12. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    That would be a cool little detail for fans. They'd all be around the age of Rex and he is still indestructible in Rebels. I don't think it will happen but the nod would be nice.

Actually come to think about it - from the photos and bts stuff we got from Celebration I reckon you might be onto something.

We know from the trailer and bts stuff and rumors that Krennic and his goons visit Galen and a young Jynn on the Icelandic locale. Given the age of Jynn we can estimate that this occurs a few years or so after the birth of the Empire. At this stage I'm fairly sure the Empire would still have an army mainly consisting of clones with conscription starting to backfill. Or not. Just an idea that would support your theory.

13. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    35+ would be considered old for special forces in real world... And I assume Death Troopers are an Imperial equivalent of that. I don't know. It might be a little bit far-fetched technically, but still a very interesting idea that I'd love to see on screen. Well, who knows, maybe DT were an even later special order based on Jango. I just want to see that nod to prequels... ;)

14. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Except it'd be an even better nod to acknowledge that there weren't any 'young' clones anymore, because midway thru the Clone Wars they were already running dangerously low on Jango DNA! Even without the canon explanation that the clones were largely decommissioned shortly after Palpatine's rule was secure, TCW gave us a perfect excuse for why stormies in the OT wouldn't be Jango clones with that bit of info.

But yeah, I figured that even the youngest clones would be pushing it for 'special forces'... as effective as Rex has been in Rebels, his age is clearly becoming an issue. Probably easier to train up a 20-something recruit than to worry about a clone throwing his back out mid-mission.

15. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    That is AMAZING.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It pleases me.

Oh, I'm sure we've had EU craft fitting that role before, but to have a direct analog in a Rebellion-era film is presenting us with a more prominent example.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    But not too old. I was under the impression that it was quite common for members of, for example, the SAS, to continue serving into their early 40s.

18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    From the Star Wars show today:
    [​IMG]

Name: Bistan
    Species: Iakaru

Karl0413, Kylun, spicer and 5 others like this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    He didn't wander off the Holiday Special set, did he?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nope, he walked off of the set of Munchies.

[​IMG]

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Mon Mothma: "A guy named Bistan died to bring us this information." [face_tee_hee]

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN and vncredleader like this.
  22. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

No, see, their society is like Khomm, and all clones. This is actually Bistan 81. His whole batch went on the mission. So, in fact, "Many Bistans died."

23. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    https://www.facebook.com/StarWars/posts/1212534632131469

From the Lucasfilm Pavilion at San Diego Comic-Con (2913), meet Rogue One’s Edrio Two Tubes:

Edrio Two Tubes is a mercenary pilot who flies alongside his eggmate, Benthic. The two share the nickname derived from the breathing apparatus that allows their Tognath physiology to process oxygen atmospheres. Edrio’s home world Yar Togna was conquered and occupied by the Empire, forcing him to flee as a refugee. Desiring to strike back at the Empire, Edrio and Benthic have allied with Saw Gerrera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I love the name and the backstory but I'm getting a little worried about all these new alien designs that might as well be old alien designs (Ottegan/Ithorian). Why aren't Edrio and Benthic Kel Dor or Gand?

25. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I don't mind the expanding number of alien species. It's a big Galaxy.

There were some Mon cal in the bts and I'm sure we'll see a few other species we're accustomed to in the background.