main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Havac

I disagree that "only" Maz works. As others have noted, the Abednedo and Tarsunt species looks exceptionally good and fit in seamlessly alongside OT and PT species:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look great next to Mon Cals and Sullustans:

[​IMG]

I'll grant you that I wish the color palette used was a bit more bright or diverse. I've already got a lot more hope we'll see this in future movies, especially in light of the recent BTS video from Rogue One that shows A trio of Mon Calamari, with two being white with bluish markings, and the main one having a unique face with a mix of blues, grays, and tans.

--Adm. Nick

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Those are okay designs, though you could have fooled me that they're two different species. There's nothing wrong with them. But the fact that I couldn't even remember them from the movie tells me they weren't exactly major designs. I'd have much rather seen Beardface there running the store on Jakku than Mr. Blob. But the fact that there were a couple decent extras doesn't really alter the point that the featured designs were very dull, generally speaking the alien designs have been extremely bland, and the cantina-scene equivalent that was supposed to highlight all the wild creature designs had none of the outrageous diversity of the original.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, that's the thing... Lucas didn't. (The stories behind the cantina scene - one of my favorites from ANH as a kid - that I heard at Celebration were quite revealing, so to speak). Sometimes the ad hoc choices that are made work better than committee designs that often wear down on creative output.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well Simon Pegg at least was supposed to evoke the infamous blob fish-
    [​IMG]

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Even in the movie, though, the Duros is a dull putty color:
    [​IMG]

The Devorian is a faded red:
    [​IMG]

The most stand out colored alien in the Cantina was Greedo:
    [​IMG]

Okay, "John Mollo hired by George Lucas". Happy?

6. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

Ah Garindan. Would have been great to see him back ratting out people in a cantina (maybe a reverse-role, now telling the Republic). Alas, we got scuba suit lady and generic junkpile as the spies.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Maybe we'll finally get the story about Michael Jackson Alien that was never told. Maybe the lead for One More Round, Friend: Tales From the Night Shift of the Mos Eisley Cantina.

(That would be the Snivvian in the "Thriller" outfit from the Holiday Special, for those playing at home).

8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
  9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Or maybe Maul did. [face_mischief]

10. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yay! Another alien in charge of something who's not a bad guy. We don't get that enough.

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    There are tons of cool background aliens. You have to be fair, by the you (or even me) first saw the OT, the original cantina aliens had backstories and were much more than just window dressings. Even though many, if not all of them got as minimal screen time as their future counterparts in TFA. Check out this shot:

[​IMG]

Now the original:

[​IMG]

If you choose to think the original is superior, it is your right. My point is that they both work and both feel part of the Star Wars mythos and look.

Listen, I get that you dislike TFA strongly and JJ's decisions. I disagree with you on the majority of them (though I do agree with some), but it is still your right as a fan to not like the film. Nothing I say will change that, nor should it. My only reason for this exchange is because I do feel you're being unfairly harsh on the folks who dreamed up these creatures. They are just as original and inventive as the OT alien background characters, they just lack the history and backstory that allow those of us who grew up watching the OT to view old aliens through rose tinted glasses. [face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    There surely must have been some great unused McQuarrie alien designs left for TFA.

14. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Rebels called dibs.

15. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Those pesky rebels!

DelRiego likes this.
  16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Okay but they would say that. :p

DelRiego and Ulicus like this.
  18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    And Khan wasn't in Star Trek Into Darkness, especially not played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Darth_Garak and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  19. KDavies

KDavies Jedi Knight

Nov 30, 2014
    And have we discussed, as shown briefly in the Rogue One panel, the Imperial officers wearing trenchcoats? Fricking trenchcoats! First capes, now coats! Our Empire is looking gorgeous.

[​IMG]

20. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Well good goshdarn.

21. KDavies

KDavies Jedi Knight

Nov 30, 2014
    So, while some may think R1's aliens look bland, surprisingly they can't say the same about its officers.

Barriss_Coffee and DelRiego like this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it just me or does these Jedha characters look like Royal Guards?
    [​IMG]

23. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    The trench coats give the Empire a Dark Empire-ish vibe.

Not that trench coats showed up in Dark Empire, but the stylized Dark Empire uniforms would go well with trench coats in my mind and so it's Dark Empire-ish to me :p .

I like it.

Valin__Kenobi and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. KDavies

KDavies Jedi Knight

Nov 30, 2014
    Totally. Is it possible--that if Jedha is indeed the Jedi "mecca", as I think Edwards describe it--that these are some sort of Imperial/Sith type bishops? Certainly it would be strange to see Jedi worshipers so closely resembling the Red Guard. Exciting design at any rate, and hopefully not just cool-looking extras.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Disney is starting to make the empire (in a visual sense) like the nazis

First we had the Nuremburg ralley in TFA now we've got stormtroopers in German WWII like tanks and officers dressed like they walked off the set of the boy in the striped pyjamas. Seriously what's next Gunan concentration camps?