main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Han's comment about 'hokey old religions' in ANH pretty much sums it up - no one denies the Jedi existed, the massive propaganda campaign by the Empire plus the absence of the Jedi has led the general public to dismiss them as charlatans and religious fanatics.

I wonder if they'll give an 'Imperial official' version of the Clone Wars in the NEU - perhaps in the Propaganda book?

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Basically every bad that Palpatine did, it was said that the Jedi did it. the Jedi engineered the war for political gain, the Jedi were secret allies with Dooku, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Considering that Sifo-Dyas, a Jedi, ordered the clones, and Count Dooku, a Jedi, led the CIS, I could see how Palpatine made it look that way.

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    There's at least one thing we know, from Lost Stars: the Empire taught in their history books that Mace Windu was the leader of a "criminal gang" that interfered with a legal execution taking place on Geonosis, thus sparking the Clone Wars.

ShiroxCloud and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lost Stars touched on this when the Battle of Geonosis was referred to as the event that kickstarted the Clone Wars because a "criminal gang" interrupted a legal execution.

Actually the First Order, while still a fan of propaganda, taught at least its stormtroopers the truth about the history of the GCW.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Lelal.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This is sort of...fascinating? And bizarre? How does this work?

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ten thousand Jedi in a galaxy of somewhere between one trillion and one quadrillion is not remotely "full". That's, at the most, one Jedi per 100 million beings--the entire US would only have three of them. You have better odds of meeting a Baldwin than a Jedi.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I used to think the galaxy forgetting recent history and just going with whatever hogwash Palpatine said because he was loud and inflammatory wasn't realistic.

Then 2016 happened.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    GEORGE LUCAS CALLED IT, HE'S GETTING LOTS OF CREDIT, EVERYONE'S SAYING SO

jSarek, Gamiel, DoubleSith and 7 others like this.
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, I found it weird too when I read it. It raises more questions than it answers.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Interesting thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005

For some reason that picture just works so incredibly well for me too. Like I can hear the trailer music playing over it. Really looking forward to seeing more of him, even if he's not NEU!Merrick Simms.

On the note of Starfighter Command generals leading from the front, folks like Salm, Crespin and now Merrick really make me wonder what Wedge's beef was with making General. It seems like there's a pretty good chance he'd stay in a cockpit if he'd accepted. :p

13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Hmm, Imperial history must be like this. Chancellor Palpatine had wanted to continue dialogue with the Separatists, and was willing to give them special status and privileges to keep them in the Republic. Ever the practical man, however, he authorized "Creating a Grand Army of the Republic" in 22 BBY.

But to the shock of everyone, violent religious extremist Mace Windu stated in the very Senate session that the Chancellor made his announcement in that he already had an army fully trained, equipped, and battle-ready behind the Chancellor's back (his plotting going back at least a decade). Claiming to be acting in the Chancellor's name, he attacked Geonosis while they were conducting a legal execution of a navigator of a spice freighter (spice being a dangerous illegal substance), because he and other extremist Jedi didn't believe in executions and weren't going to wait for the Chancellor to handle things diplomatically. This secret plot to clone a violent mercenary bounty hunter began during the last years of the corrupt Chancellor Valorum's term in collusion with Windu and other Jedi extremists--Palpatine basically inherited this wartime scenario from his predecessor.

Count Dooku, a Jedi Master who pretended to leave the Jedi some time before, was enraged by Windu's power grab because Dooku wanted galactic power for himself, not Windu. As recounted in testimony by captured Separatist leaders ("Count Dooku would have killed me if I didn't help him... You have to believe me!" stated Ziro Desilijic Tiure), Dooku threatened, mind-tricked and intimidated Geonosians, Neimoidians, and others into building a droid army for him to counter Windu's clone army.

Although Palpatine tried to continue dialogue and wanted to let the galaxy know that Windu disobeyed orders in attacking Geonosis, the widespread secession and battles had already begun immediately after Geonosis. Palpatine very much wanted to arrest Windu, but Windu threatened that the clone army military (under his command) would slaughter civilians if Palpatine ever revealed the truth.

For 3 years the brave Chancellor was forced to publicly endorse the madman Windu for the good of the galaxy. Palpatine wanted to renounce Windu and the other violent Jedi extremists many times, but his hand was stayed knowing Windu had a secret trigger word that he would use to make the clones kill all civilians if Windu were ever exposed.

However, the Chancellor was working in secret with the mainstream Republic military to educate the clones in the Republic way and eventually break them free of Windu's conditioning. Palpatine also knew that Dooku, a legitimate threat, needed to be dealt with first before arresting Windu. A newcomer named Darth Vader worked behind the scenes with Palpatine during the Outer Rim Sieges, killing Dooku, Grievous, and the Separatist Council so that Palpatine could turn his attention on finally bringing Windu to justice for his crimes.

In 19 BBY, with the death of Dooku and Grievous, Windu finally took action in believing he could finally take control of the galaxy with Dooku gone. Windu and his posse went to kill Palpatine, and Palpatine barely survived this battle as recounted in the Declaration of a New Order. More concerning, however, was that Windu finally utilized his trigger word in the clone army just before his attempt on Palpatine's life, fully expecting the clones to obey and slaughter countless civilians to support Windu's takeover of the galaxy.

Thankfully, thanks to the strong ethical and moral education that Republic military like Moff Tarkin, Admiral Yularen, and Director Krennic had instilled in the clones during the war, the clones broke free of Windu's conditioning. When Windu ordered them to kill civilians, the clones turned on him and killed their Jedi brainwashers instead.

Knowing that the galaxy can never again endure such violence, Palpatine created the Empire with changes in government to ensure Windu's and Dooku's deadly game can never be repeated. Furthermore, Moff Tarkin and Director Krennic are working on military projects, including the DS-1 battlestation, to ensure that any violent uprising is immediately terminated before they can threaten the galaxy with warfare again.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    However, only Picard has a fashion maneuver named after him. :)

vncredleader likes this.
  15. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Hm, normally I'd agree with any declaration of Sisko being the winner, but he was saddled with an ill-fitting First Contact uniform for quite a while after the rollout. At one point he had his combage on the grey area just so it would be in the right place to tap. :p

TC

vncredleader likes this.
  16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Mostly it's the question of why criminals freeing prisoners precipitated a war. Were the criminals the Jedi? Were the Jedi not understood to be in collusion with Dooku?

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Picard had to deal with fussy things like tea and his uniform riding up. Sisko had more important things to do, like win the war against the Dominion. When he went to his tailor, it wasn't because his uniform didn't fit right, it was to find a way to get the Romulans into the war on the Federation's side.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    With the answer being: Talk to Garak. "Just plain, simple Garak". [face_devil]

TalonCard and Cynical_Ben like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So character posters, they're a nice bit of design work, don't think they've been posted:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure why the sizes are changing, oh well, some tech can work it out.

One nice and subtle touch is the Death Star plans on the faces.

20. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I was thinking of a possible plothole that might come up in Rogue One
    Rumor is Galen put the exhaust port in the Death Star on purpose as a weak spot. If so, what is the point of getting Jyn and the gang to risk their lives to get the Death Star plans? In ANH, the value of the plans was that they could be analyzed for a weakness. What I'm seeing is more like this:

Cassian: We intercepted a coded transmission from your father.

Galen: Hey Jyn. Tell Mon Mothma to put a proton torpedo in the port at the end of the Death Star trench at coordinates 9567 E, equatorial line. That should blow up this superweapon that can destroy planets which the Empire forced me to build.

Don't bother risking your life or your friends trying to get the blueprints. What I said is all you really need to know. Ok, gotta go, maybe I can ask for a transfer to Zeltros or something. Later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

What Are The Odds likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

That's just the thing; I very highly doubt what everyone is speculating about Galen intentionally putting that port there. I don't think that at all. I think he just wants to get them the plans so they can analyze them. I don't think he put any particular weakness in when he designed it, probably for fear he would be found out and Jyn would be punished for it.

Barriss_Coffee and Daneira like this.
  22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think he put in an exhaust port because they needed to vent exhaust. ANH explains why this weakness exists: they weren't anticipating that snubfighters would attack the station, much less get as far as they did. Once they realize what the problem is they rush to stop them.

23. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Exactly.

Mistakes happen. While Galen may have designed the station, he can't be expected to think of everything. If anything, it's on the Empire for not completing a good Functional Risk Assessment. :)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    All very true.

But for some reason internet critics assume that everyone is super-genius psychic and anyone making any kind of mistake is a total incompetent and/or the result of bad writing handing out idiot balls.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ohhhh I get it. This is one of those moral-driven stories. And the moral is... there are Death Star plans in all of us. Aw.