main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I have nothing against specialized variants of stormtroopers, au contraire. But the clean slate of new canon should allow them to avoid overlapping variants. Why create those Death Troopers* when they could have gone with Shadow Troopers (already introduced in Battlefront), or even the Purge Troopers of Star Wars: Uprising? Or even the Phase II dark troopers already shown in Star Wars: Commander?

*BTW, the name "Death Trooper" itself was already taken, since Project Blackwing and the Sickness were canonized in Star Wars: Commander.

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Because it's a movie, and it's always going to trump video games if they want to do something and call it whatever.

jSarek and ATimson like this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Commander is also pretty "fuzzy" canon, honestly.

jSarek likes this.
  4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    One canon and all that...

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How many times do we have to go over things? The new canon means better coordination, simultaneous storytelling, etc. It doesn't mean the films will lose their creative primacy. If they want to do a thing, they'll do a thing, and everyone else will follow suit.

The difference is that everyone else will probably have advanced notice, and can lay seeds etc.

Taalcon and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Because toys?

I'd quite like to have seen the Shadow Troopers myself.

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This is the header on the Wookieepedia page for "Darktrooper," which I looked up to see what had made it into canon.

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'll admit me and spell check are not friends at the moment but I'm sure we will make up.

As for banning, Says the chap who posts that he finds an Otter attractive :p

9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I was in fact referring to this.

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think his point was more that "stormtroopers... with black armor!" was a concept that came in many different flavors in the old EU as well.

11. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Well obviously a lot of the text was placeholder stuff. :p

And I am willing to bet Krennic's real title is ISB Director.

12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm not ready to believe they removed it because it was too wrong. They had it removed because it was too right. :pà

13. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    A mixture of both causing confusion is also very much understandably not desirable.

14. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Yeah, I can imagine some studio execs in an emergency meeting. ;)

"Remember that big reveal we had planned for the Celebration? Yeah, about that...."

15. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm curious if we're getting shadow troopers as well.

If I recall, MSW said along with the death troopers we'd also get shadow troopers as seen in Battlefront. Curious if that still is happening.

16. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    It's built in that games will have side missions, and ingame mechanics material that is deemed consistent with present canon, but not creating canon. IE, the overall main story mission has a place in the canonical Star Wars world, but many of the details might not. For example,
    Uprising is a story that generally happened. It's already been referred to in more than one storytelling source. Likewise, some of the characters and general scenario for the Commander main launch story mission has been noted in a reference book. That said, details for multiple side-quests, game mechanics, and at times even antagonists in side quests are approved in-as-much as they are deemed consistent for an authentic experience. These side elements and auxiliary elements of games do not in and of themselves establish canon. Which should make sense for a game with even key radical outcomes and story options that are in deep contrast to each other.

The focus for storygroup is overall storytelling arc consistency. It's nice when all the details line up, but in the end, the overall consistency of the general overarching story trumps everything. And that, frankly, is where I'm glad the focus lies. A movie makes a side-quest game mechanic of a mobile game inaccurate? Not really a big deal for the big storytelling game.

again, as GrandAdmiralJello noted, the focus has always been a combination of ensuring a) consistent overall narrative, and b)providing for authentic to the spirit of Star Wars gaming experiences. Storytellers aren't required to keep inhabitants of side-quests of video games in consideration when making new stories. And defining what is to be taken into consideration is the definition of 'canon'.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, a scenario where they tell the RO people they can't use the name "death troopers" because of a unit in a mobile game is not one I especially need to live out.

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's hilarious.

I've never figured the zombie "death troopers" were an officially named and recognized branch of the Imperial Military, whereas I'm willing to believe that the Death Troopers are named after the zombies.

Mia Mesharad, Tzizvvt78 and CooperTFN like this.
  19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Maybe even a hint that they're not "normal" beings, i.e. mind-controlled or something?

20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I doubt it would be touched upon in the film itself, but that's certainly a thing that appear in a piece of tie-in material. And I would be glad to see that. One may deride Star Wars: Commander, but it has entries in both Ultimate Star Wars and the Databank, so I would to see some things mentioned elsewhere. (The existence of renaimated corpses may seem too outlandish for the canon Star Wars universe, but that ship has sailed long ago, when the Nightsisters did it on screen.)

Mia Mesharad and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    possible spoilers on Rogue One:
    I can see Disney leaving outlandish stuff out of the films even if there is a precedent in tv canon, the way Agent Coulson is alive in Agents of Shield but never seen as such in the Marvel films post-Avengers.

22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Except that Disney doesn't have anything to do with it.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Nor with Marvel, for that matter. They're totally unrelated operations.

DoubleSith and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    As well as Geonosian zombies and the Sith undead on Moraband.

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There's a big difference between resurrection by The Force and resurrection by a virus. If you're going to have a virus resurrect Stormtroopers, I'd expect to see Darth Wesker next.