main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ugh if only Bail had lived it woukd have been cool to see the dynamic between him and Mon. This makes me really want to read Life Debt. Currently I'm about 240 pages through Aftermath :p

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I think Bail & Mon complemented each other perfectly. They each moderated the other a bit, but also worked damned near seamlessly together. Considering Organa's seniority & prestige, I always assumed there was a reason that he supported her to become the Alliance's acting chancellor & Chief of State.

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Bail still should've been the one to make the hope speech.

LelalMekha, Gamiel, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

He's not the lead character, though.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So? Doesn't mean she has to do everything, especially when it doesn't make sense for her role or her story. The Alliance doesn't know her. She has no credibility with them. And as for her? She's shaken by the Alliance, it was their bombs that killed her father. She doesn't trust them. And now they're unwilling to even make her father's sacrifice worth it. They're throwing in the towel. She's fed up with the lot of them.

Then in sweeps Bail. He tells the Alliance that they can't throw away their sacrifices. That they can't throw away Galen's sacrifice. That everyone -- from their soldiers on down to that Imperial scientist -- has given their lives to give them this chance. They have to take it.

Jyn appreciates it. She's gotten that support from nobody else. It keeps her on the course. Of course, the senators still aren't swayed, but she's determined to see it through. Then in comes Cassian and his pathfinders... willing to help her, too. Willing to make it mean something, and willing to stand with her even if nobody else will.

Gamiel, Kylun, Darkslayer and 7 others like this.
  7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    If this movie did one thing well, it created interdependent characters. I can't harp on that enough.

Oh. It did a lot of things well.

8. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Jyn's main character development was her change of heart regarding her drive in life (looking out only for herself vs. taking up a cause for the right reason). The scene showed that, by contrasting her previous scene in that room.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It wasn't very convincing development. It was inconsistent and didn't really follow -- she goes from talking about morally wrong orders and how the Alliance ordered her father killed, to believing in the hope of the Alliance.

That's a change of heart all right, and not in a good way.

I can buy her wanting to stop the Death Star. Everything she went through on Jedha and Eadu are ample good reasons for that. But I don't buy her being a chipper, inspirational, Alliance booster.

Kylun, Jedi Ben and Ender Sai like this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Because she knew they were the only ones who had a shot of stealing the plans and destroying the Death Star. And her line about hope is what Cassian told her earlier in Jedha.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And she thought it was stupid.

Kylun, Jedi Ben and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I am reasonably sure Jello knows that Ghost.

It's also not his point. You and others are saying "it makes sense she gives the speech, because she's the main character." Jello is pointing out why that's ham-fisted and infantile logic.

13. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Jello:

If I was in Jyn's shoes I would totally do what she did because I know that even though I may not care that much for the Alliance, they're the best shot at destroying the Death Star.

Would that make me bad? I don't know, but I certainly know that something like the Death Star is evil so I can't say I'd care if what I was doing was called manipulation. I can debate the morality of it later.

Ghost likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I just think that the Jyn leaving Eadu was not the same Jyn we saw on Yavin IV.

These people murdered her father and she's all hopeful about them.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I think she's also smart enough to realize the difference between the likes of Mothma and the likes of Draven (the latter of whom ordered the hit on her father, of course). She saw Draven come talk to Cassian before they left for Jedha, and she knew the official mission orders from Mothma were to retrieve Galen alive, so she's not dumb–once she learned Cassian had intended to kill her father it wasn't difficult to put two and two together. Draven obviously ordered that hit, unsanctioned.

Ghost likes this.
  16. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I think that's partly due to the amount of info that needed to be dumped in that movie.

Maybe I'm guilty of feeling in the blanks based on my own life experiences, but at that point my focus would have been to:

1. Stop the Death Star

2. Honor my father's memory and sacrifice.

3. Do so by stopping the Death Star.

If I have to give rah rah speeches to a group I don't necessarily like, so be it. Dad is dead. It's more important that his death not be compounded by wasting the life he had given up in pretense to serving the Empire so that it could be stopped.

If it were me at the table, the passion and hope would not come newfound respect for the Alliance but newfound respect for my father's life.

It's hard to convey the depth of that kind of emotional and psychological development in the amount of time Rogue One had.

The Alliance can assassinate people if they wanted to, but as for Jyn and her house, they were going to do the right thing. The Rebels were a tool to accomplish the right thing.

BigAl6ft6, Jedi Princess and Ghost like this.
  17. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I believe one of the Rogue One sources said that Mothma was afraid to ask Draven who they had now assassinated.

Mothma knew Draven was assassinating people. She's not different from Draven just because she doesn't know exactly who legitimately accidentally stepped into an elevator shaft without a car from those they caused to step into carless elevator shafts.:p Her hands are bloody as well.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Sure, she might've operated on a "don't ask, don't tell" policy out of necessity in the past (or even because Draven was just continually going behind her back), but this time in particular she said bring him back alive. There's no room for interpretation there. Draven directly disobeyed her orders here, so the blood of Galen is on Draven's hands, not hers.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wasn't saying that. And her speech doesn't work. If it was completely cut it would make no difference to the Rebellion's decisions. It only demonstrated a change in her goals, from being pressured to do what she's told from the Rebel leaders to asking them for help, which is why it's in the film. To show why she and the others would take action when the Rebel leaders couldn't agree to it.

But she figured it works for them, it's the kind of thing they'd say, so she uses it and throws it back on them to try and advance her goal.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Oh man that would have been awesome.

21. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Sure, she might've operated on a "don't ask, don't tell" policy out of necessity in the past (or even because Draven was just continually going behind her back), but this time in particular she said bring him back alive. There's no room for interpretation there. Draven directly disobeyed her orders here, so the blood of Galen is on Draven's hands, not hers.[/quote]

Unless the assassination orders were the real orders.

And Mon Mothma does not have to be the one to issue them. The Alliance can be set up so that Intelligence has operating discretion.

Either way, it happens under her watch, it's her responsibility. The buck stops there.

22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Oh weird the quote function is bugging out.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree that Jyn's switch flips rather abruptly before the third act from cynic to alliance hopeful but it can skate by because Jones is that good of an actress, dammit. Also you can kinda fill in maybe she's trying to rally the troops mostly because the destruction of Jeddah was so horrific, it was her father's last wish to stop it, and she can get back at the Imperials that have been kicking around herself and the galaxy for decades. So maybe she still is a cynic but gets better at hiding it.

Going to go for my 4th viewing tomorrow, D-Box where the seats move and stuff. I don't really recommend it for an initial viewing experience as it is intentionally distracting but for 4th? Damn straight, crank it up (there's 3 levels of intensity) and pretend you're flying an X-Wing. Also gonna get me a few beers in beforehand to enhance the experience moreso. Only did it once last year with TFA and Rogue One has longer action scenes than TFA, especially the third act, so it should be a blast.

24. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    Jyn is angry at the empire for stealing her father from her, using him, and ultimately killing him (and her mother!). She doesn't realize that he didn't just abandon her until she see's his holo. He risked his life and gave up his daughter for the greater good.

She realizes all of this in about 2 minutes. And then has to watch him die. I think that explains her change of heart. Pretty simple actually.

Revanfan1 and Ghost like this.
  25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    She was also reunited with Saw only to have the Empire kill him, too.

If you see Jyn coming, you better start running.

Revanfan1, WMIRTUTSF and JeeediMoriah like this.