main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    If that is indeed the case, they should be naming this movie Wraith One. :p

Hopeless, Sarge, whiskers and 11 others like this.
  2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Forget The Force Awakens. This is the best thing since The Empire Strikes Back.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    So, is this going to be the movie sequel to the countless hours I spent flying as Keyan Farlander via the DOS prompt?

Riv_Shiel, Plaristes, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Pretty much guarantees we'll see some new X-wing books and or comics in the future.

Bloody awesome!

TheRedBlade, Kylun and darklordoftech like this.
  5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Don't forget games.

This might actually get us another TIE Fighter.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    About &*%&ing time.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Fixed.

Plaristes, Gamiel, cdgodin and 2 others like this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Fixed even more.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Oh man. I'm almost (tentatively) more excited about this news than I am for TFA. This could be sooooo good.

And yes - any kind of nod in the story to Allston would be really nice (and I hope he gets some sort of dedication).

Can't wait for more info.

11. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    So, assuming this is the origin story of Rogue Squadron and not something wildly misleading, when do we think it'll take place? You'd think pre-ESB, but that throws up the problems of the presence/lack thereof of a young Luke, the viewer knowing beforehand how the series unfolds and the GCW ends, etc. It could be set post-ROTJ and, as others have said, more of a heist-movie sort of deal with Felicity Jones assembling a team for some purpose or another and taking on the Rogue name.

12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    So, Rogue Squadron was apparently founded to steal the Death Star Plans and was originally a Dirty Dozen Warith-style Squadron. They couldn't be present at Yavin, but obviously were Luke's squadron after Yavin and therefore at Hoth. So, pre-Episode 4 would be my guess.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I kinda want this to be post-TFA, as it allows older Denis Lawson to be used. On the other hand, a wicked starfighter movie about the post-Endor battles between the Rebellion and Empire does appeal to me as well. Could be used to provide some backstory.

--Adm. Nick

14. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I think Denis Lawson probably doesn't want to be used. Perfect phrasing, by the way.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Its happening!!!!![face_party][face_party]

Although I doubt they will follow the EU at all.

16. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Felicity Jones looks more the type to star in "Rouge One", but I hope the characterization does away with that image

Ah, it seems the Hasbro 'leak' was somewhat right
    http://clubjade.net/?p=58580

Looks the Fett and Solo films have been switched down

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If it was about the formation of the squadron, I would assume it would be named Rogue Leader.

18. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005

Just as long as such an outfit flies starfighters sometime during the mission to steal the Death Star plans (it'd be nice to finally have a definitive story on that), it won't contradict the opening crawl in ANH; "Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire." :p

Riv_Shiel and Taalcon like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want a ****ing Star Wars Top Gun movie.

With Felicity Jones in Kelly McGillis's role.

"I feel the need...the need for speed."

"And if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a souped-up YT1300 full of rubber bantha **** off Tatooine!"

IOW, my response to this news:

Oh **** yeah.

20. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

They're just setting up for the Sequel, Star Wars: Rogue Two.

21. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    It's almost certainly post ROTJ. 0 - 4 BBY means recasting Luke or leaving him out, which seem equally untenable. And remember, by this point the OT will be fading into the background with ST tie-ins taking over all media. Probably shortly before TFA or in "real time", bridging TFA and VIII.

Abadacus likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Sorry, why is it almost certainly then?

23. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I thought I just explained my reasoning? It can't be pre-ANH since Rogue Squadron didn't exist yet, even in film/novel canon.

If it's during the OT you can't leave Luke out of the squadron's formation, and you can't recast him--it's not like, say, a younger Han, which is a previously unseen period. It would be weird to dump some new guy between movies where Luke is obviously someone different, particularly for the child audience. You could certainly do an animated midquel with new voices, but not in live-action, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get something along the lines of an animated SOTE eventually.

You could CG in a holographic Luke cameo and have Hamill try to recreate his 1980 voice, but that's about it. Same problem with Wedge, Mothma, or essentially any OT character who's not masked, and if you can't use anyone, why set it here at all?

More importantly, why struggle within the many limitations of the OT (practical and storytelling) when there's a huge 30-year gap, as well as plot threads from VII and VIII to run with? By 2016 the big products will be the ST, Rebels, and whatever curveballs they throw at us--not creaky old movies made before most of the audience was born.

(This all presupposes it's indeed a Rogue Squadron X-Wing movie, and not some horrible bait-and-switch, but that's really all we have to go on at this point.)

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    and yet Darth Vader and "I am your father" is what most of the audience recognizes.

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm torn on where this is gonna be set, but what I absolutely believe is that they're bound to recast someone in the Big Three eventually.

newdawn12, Vthuil and BigAl6ft6 like this.