main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    well, Uli never got his wish of Chris Helmsworth as Anakin. I guess he could be Luke?

[face_laugh]

2. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Absolutely, I just don't think they'd do it simultaneous to the real-deal actors appearing in VII and presumably VIII and IX.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

POWER CONVERTERS!!!

Jedi Princess and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
  5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    As I said on Twitter:

If a movie called Rogue One is NOT about the X-wing squadron but instead some ****ing bounty hunters, I'm out of this fandom forever. :p

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    What is Star Rogue One Wars?
    :p

Vthuil likes this.
  7. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Article about concept art. Posts completely unrelated SW art [face_plain] Still, hopes ... deflated.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    On a similar note:

I provisionally rescind my Legends forgiveness pending further investigation. My people will be in touch.

Riv_Shiel and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Given that the one time we see the Rogues in the OT they're not actually in X-wings, maybe the canon version actually is more of a Wraith-style unit. Even in my wildest dreams I wouldn't really expect them to do a movie of nothing but dogfighting, so seeing them do land-based ops doesn't preclude them from being the fighter squadron.

10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Republic Commando
    Imperial Commando
    Rebel Commando
    Rogue Commando
    Rogue Team Six
    Rogue One

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Even the Rogue Squadron-centric books were more focused on ground missions, with two or three space battles thrown in. Especially Wedge's Gamble and Krytos Trap had tons of espionage action, and even Rogue Squadron had ground fights a few times (when the Imperial Commandos raided the Rogue base). So I could see a lot of land-based ops with a fighter battle around the end.

Valin__Kenobi and starfish like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Except it says that it looked "like Halo"

So it'll just be a bunch of 14 year old boys talking crap about each other. :p

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This is incredible. I was really hoping that the Rogues would be alive and well in the new canon, and also expecting that they would be due to their popularity among not just us but among gamers, as well --- but an entire movie that's (probably) about them? Wow. I was expecting some new video games and maybe an Episode VII cameo, but this... this is just fantastic.

If someone had told me yesterday there would be a Rogue Squadron movie, I'd have told them "Impossible." But, dammit, it's Rogue Squadron. Impossible is their stock in trade, and success is what they deliver.

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    You can't do an 'entire' film of nothing but starfighter action, much as I'd love it. (Really, the PT's biggest flaws for me were the near total lack of it. I've been craving proper starfighter battles for decades now.)

Still... waiting to see where this goes. I don't think we can know anything for sure just yet.

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Explain this.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

BTW ~ that was my allusion to Betrayal and JINO's penchant for saying "explain that" in it. I feel a need to point out the easter eggs that I layer in my posts now.

also I'm afraid to read the Disney thread now

Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  18. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I share your excitement, but I'm waiting with baited breath to see how much of a resemblance there'll be to the Rogues I love. It's entirely possible that the people creating this movie simply have no idea that Hobbie is the dour one, or that Wes is a child inside.
    Allston and Stackpole's vision of the Rogues and Wraiths is such an indelible part of Star Wars to me; I don't expect Legends versions of events or plotlines, but I do hope that the core, anchoring characters and tone take a lesson from the authors who shaped a very special part of Star Wars fandom.

19. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Can you imagine the nerdgasm if someone said the famous sentence with three words in this movie?

Sarge, Revanfan1 and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

But you're not sure it couldn't equally be an Ep VII era film, nor did you say why Luke can't be excluded. There is no canon around its creation, merely that it's a group in ESB and ROTJ.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    "What do we blow up first?" is six words.

You should, because Betrayal was literally a million years ago and I've already forgotten what Tarkin was about.

22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Possible? It's a dead cert.

23. spaulagain

spaulagain Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2014
    IIRC, yes. All the rumor mills have stated that A) There would be an X-Wing/Rogue Squadron movie and B) that it would be the first spin off.

However I think more recently all the talk has been about the Boba Fett and Han Solo movies.

I'm really excited for this but a bit surprised by how many in this thread are surprised, I thought this was already known just not "confirmed" yet.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Guys, please bear in mind two key points:

1) The filmmakers give precisely zero ****s about the much loved X-Wing novels and comics, and
    2) The EU is dead to the point where carrion have stripped all the flesh off it. There is no personality beyond the films for the Rogues. If Hobbie is snappy and bright, and Wes is dour, that's canon going forward. I would be useful to not hope and/or pray for a faithful adaptation something shot so hard it no longer exists. Disney took a 12ga shotgun at point blank range to a sparrow, where the sparrow = the EU.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I hope this movie is Top Gun in space.

CT-867-5309, Revanfan1, Kylun and 2 others like this.