main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Star Wars RPG

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by SigmaRue, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SigmaRue

SigmaRue Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2008
    Since we're geeks and we like Star Wars, I think we should start up a SWRP campaign if there's enough interest. The group's expanding and we should definitely meet more. This will certainly give us an excuse to do that. Any takers? :D

2. Corvalis

Corvalis Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2008
    Count me in! I've always loved the Star Wars RPG, and I'm talking old D6 system, D20, and the new Saga edition! I've got a regular Sunday night group that I game with, so I've got some good experience under my belt as a player and a GM. I've been playing RPGs with groups since I was 12, so I have about 17 years experience as a player, and about 2 years during that time as a GM. I also have a few of the d20 books in my library, and I've got every d20 Star Wars book and Saga edition book on my thumb drive.

I would love to play and GM with the group. I only ask that someone else also offer to volunteer to GM, that way no one person gets burned out running a campaign, because they can pass the torch off to another person for a time if they start to get tired of being incharge, and it refreshes the players to have alternating story lines too.

I would also suggest that if we all have the experience necessary to understand and fathom the HUGE amount of gaming info, we run with the d20 system, as it is complex enough and offers a large amount of variety amoungst player options. If anyone has never played an RPG before, Saga would be the way to go, it's fast and easy enough to pick up for anyone. Or if you're all old and crusty like me, I can hunt down the d6 system and we can have some real fun!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add this to the post. I would like to volunteer as a GM for the group, as long as someone else volunteers as well. When I'm not GMing, I'll definately be a player! As for days I could do this, Most any weeknight after 6:00 would work, except wednesdays. And Saturdays would be okay too, but not Sundays.

3. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    So...
    No newbs?

Because that would be me.

4. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Actually, newbs are great! I love seeing people enjoy a new experience like table top RPGs. There's just a difference in the rules, called systems, we'll want to use depending on the experience of the people wanting to play. Here's a break down for you:

D6 system - this system is unbalanced, and if you know how all the rules work, you can essentially "cheat" and become the most powerful player in the game, and no enemy can stand against you. It's also very old, and not very used in todays groups. There's only a few books, and they are chalk full of wonderfully unbalanced rules.

D20 system - this system is very expansive, and has a few loopholes where you can become a bit more powerful in one or two areas of the game, but not completely unstoppable. It's also got about 40 books you can use to build a character, and for people just starting off in RPGs, that can be very overwhelming. Its my favorite because I know how the system works, and I enjoy making the off beat characters, like a kung-fu dancing droid repairman. You can't ,make characters like that in the other systems.

Saga Edition - this is the newest version of the game. The rules are easy to learn, there aren't very many at all actually, and the game is basically just a few books of character options, so it's not enough to fry your brain. They actually designed this version so anyone can pick up the main book and start playing with a group of friends. I am currently a player in a campaign using this system in my Sunday night group, and it's very fast and fun.

So if you have never played before, we'll use the simple rules and it won't detract from anyones entertainment.

...of course, this whole group isn't my idea either, and I'm just making a suggestion, heh...

5. SigmaRue

Aug 6, 2008
    Newbs are a-ok. I was one not too long ago so I can't discriminate. I play with the latest edition of the source book, but I've played other games with the D20 system. I have the books for the saga version, so that would be my vote unless someone wants to GM with another system.

BTW, not-it for GM. I burnt myself out over Christmas break, so I've kind of exhausted my creativity for a while.

6. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    I've still yet to play a PnP RPG, so I'll throw my hat into the "sounds like fun, count me in" group... as long as it's Civil War Era, and there's no mention of fraking jedi or sith...

7. SigmaRue

Aug 6, 2008
    Yeah, I have to second that. No jedi or sith allowed. It's not discrimination: just practical. It's a lot more fun when players aren't force slamming everything to death. It's like... ten minutes in and everyone's a jedi master, level 99.

8. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    I'm all for this!

I have GMd Star Wars before and would be willing to run on a Saturday or Sunday. I have all but two or three of the original flavor d20 books, but could run Saga Edition if I could borrow some source books.

I can live with having a Jedi free PC party, but Force Adepts would be acceptable.(And if we play Saga Edition I will *make* a Force Adept class for my own amusement. I think it's bull**** that Force Adept is a Prestige Class in the new system. No reason that Jedi and Sith should get all the up-front Force goodies.)

What I'd be most concerned about is getting a regular group together than can male most games.

9. SigmaRue

Aug 6, 2008
    Sean's game for this too, so that looks like about six people are interested. Anyone opposed to meeting this weekend or Friday to come up with some characters? We could always wait a bit but the sooner the better in my opinion. School is about to pick up big time.

Since Corvallis spoke up first, I vote he GM's at least for the first few meetings if he's still interested. I have no problem swapping out a GM if someone needs to recharge their creativity batteries.

If you think you can commit to semi-regular meetings, please go ahead and PM so I can get a roster going.

10. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Yeah, I have no problem GMing for the first stretch. Saturdays are good for me, and I think my girlfriend might be interested in trying it out too. I'll talk to her about it more tonight. Lets set up a place and time Saturday, and we can go over character creation and the rules for people who aren't familiar with either the system or the game. I've only got the books on my thumb drive, but I will work on getting a set for people to borrow. Also, any and all Star Wars miniatures you might have will come in handy as well. I will get us some game tiles and miniatures so that everyone can have a visual aid during combat. It helps everyone, not just newbies.

Here's how I GM things, and a few comments on some of the posts made:

1) I expect to keep the group entertained. That's the first and foremost responsibility of a GM. Part of that responsibility is to allow players to play whatever class or characters they want, within reason. As a GM, I will set down rules pertaining to the campaign at the beginning, and I expect people to respect those rules while we play. For ease of play, and because we have newbies in the group, I will not allow Jedi in the first campaign, but I will allow them as an option in the future, once everyone knows the rules and is familiar enough with role-playing to handle such a task.

I can't see a good reason not to allow people to play Jedi if they would like. I do understand the reasoning behind people in the group not wanting Jedi around. I would still like to give a chance to anyone who wants to do so, HOWEVER, playing a Jedi does not mean that it's okay for you to break the following ground rules, which are designed to keep the party balanced so that everyone can enjoy the game:

a) The Force is not a toy. You have a power that gives you an advantage in the universe, it does not give you the right to abuse it. If you start using your Force powers to accomplish trivial things, you will earn a permenant Dark Side Point.

b) Your role in the party is not a front line fighter. Whipping out your saber and hacking a bad guy to bits at the first sign of trouble will earn you a permenant Dark Side Point. That doesn't mean you can't kill anyone, but it means that you will have to exhaust a few reasonable options first. Your role in the party is a voice of reason and responsibility, and when it comes down to it, protecting your friends and allies. This is a big responsibility for any player, and if you feel you can't handle it, don't play a Jedi.

c) Dark Side Points will not be tolerated. I will give any Jedi 3-5 Dark Side Points before I take their character away, and make them create a new one. Playing a Jedi requires discipline and lots of thinking. If you are just wanting to hack someone to bits with a lightsaber, or Force Slam stormtroopers into a wall because you think it's cool, you're not going to get to play a Jedi in any of my games. Go play Force Unleashed instead. No one will be allowed to play the Sith, I don't run anything but "good-guy" games, so playing evil is right out.

d) Just because you play a Force user who is not a Jedi doesn't mean you can circumvent these rules. Any force user in the game has the potential to ruin it for the other players by acting irresponsibly. ALL FORCE USERS will be held to these rules. I'm not putting the rules down to punish people wanting to play Jedi or other force users. I put them down so that the other party members feel the game is balanced, and so it is fair to anyone who wants to play a Jedi, and those who don't.

2) The GM has the final say in any situation where books conflict in rules. There are a few rules that might not make sense, and I will adjust them accordingly. These are called "House Rules" and are regulated by the GM. The GM also has the final say in interpretting rules, and settling arguements. That doesn't mean the GM isn't wrong. We are all learning and growing here as people, and if a GM makes a mistake, show them, and allow them to decide the outcome.

3) The party of PCs will alway

11. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Count me in as another noob who's interested. :) My only RPGing experiences have been online.

12. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Then I think you'll like Saga Edition, Nat. I've heard from a few people that it's really similar to a MMO in the way of rules and mechanics.

Where are we meeting for this? I'd offer my apartment, but I only have enough seats for 3 people, and no table big enough to game on.

Oh, and anyone who is coming will probably need the following:

Pencil and paper (pens are okay too, but pencils are best because you can erase)

Dice (if you have them, for all you current gamers) If you don't have dice, I have a few spare sets I will bring for party dice, but the more you get into RPGs, the more you're going to want your own dice. It's a gamer thing.

Lots of scratch paper, or a notebook.

Snacks, someone should bring snacks to appease the GM...just saying. It's also a good idea for any group to bring whatever snacks you want to share. Just make sure to bring enough for everyone.

Anyone who has Saga books, please bring them too. I will be ordering a set for group use during sessions. I'll also probably pick up some game tiles and miniatures for my campaign. It might take a few sessions to get them, but it will be a big help to everyone once we do. If anyone has a blank gaming map, or Star Wars miniatures, please bring them as well. Thanks.

We'll spend the first meeting going over what era you want to play in, what you want for characters, I'll explain the rules for the newbies, and we'll get down how often, where and when we should meet. The next session after that, I'll start the campaign. I can probably run the first campaign for about 3-4 months if we meet once a week. Maybe longer, then someone else can start a campaign, and we can rotate campaigns and GMs from there. I'm also slated to start my campaign in my regular Sunday in a few weeks, rest assured, this will not interfere with this Star Wars group at all.

If anyone wants to join us, but can't commit to a regular weekly session, or whatever we decide on, it's okay. You don't have to be there every session, we can let you come and go as you please, just try to participate when you can. Keep in mind, for all you newbies, the more you come, the faster you will learn.

I should have added this to the GMing post I made earlier. For newbies, it won't make sense. For everyone else, it should. I don't run experience sessions. I auto level for Star Wars so that I can challenge you guys and keep track of the level of the group, without having to bow down to math. For rewards, I usually hand out Force Points to individuals. I will let you know at the end of each session if you've leveled or not. Also, when you are not there, your character goes into the "GM Bag of Holding". Your character cannot effect the outcome of the choices involved in a session you are not in. On the flip side, it also means I won't kill you off, and you will level at the same rate everyone else does. It's just easier this way, and with a larger group, like what ours is coming to, it will keep things rolling.

13. SigmaRue

Aug 6, 2008
    Alright, I'm going to go ahead and try to coordinate this weekend's meeting. I think I have a location for us, but don't laugh. I promise it'll be pretty sweet. I'm going to start a new thread for an official meeting. I'll post it before class and see if we can get a decent turnout.

14. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    So let me get this straight... It's not ok to play a bad guy, but it is ok to play a Jedi... [face_plain] how does that make any semblance of sense? What constitutes a "bad guy"? Smugglers are technically criminals, does that make them "bad guys". The game was Stephanie's idea, IMHO, I think most of this should probably be her call

That is my official stance as a long-time member of the Spokantina and a core contributor, I'm Jarus Sarn,and I approve this message.

15. Dark_Jedi_Nasman

Dark_Jedi_Nasman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2006
    That's a smuggler for ya...

And I would have to agree with him.

16. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER

BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    You guys missed out not showing up last night [face_shame_on_you] It was fun. Talking with everyone, we think that the best way to handle "game nights" is to have a "floating" game night. Any day Thursday through Sunday was thought best. If you cant make a game one week, no worries. Corvalis has a easy solution. :)

17. SigmaRue

Aug 6, 2008
    We all decided that it's going to be a jedi-less game. It was a pretty productive night. =P

This looks like it's going to be fun. You guys who missed out, take another look at your schedules this week!

18. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    This is Nat's (Earwen_Lightrider) husband. Just letting you know which username I'll be using. Sorry SigmaRue for the confusing PM, I thought you were the GM from last night. :p

19. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    John:

Playing a "Bad Guy" in this context probably means someone who is a double agent, working for the opposing forces, or who just enjoys screwing over the rest of the party.

AKA "Chaotic Stupid"

20. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    HAHAHA

21. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Hmm.
    This sounds fun.

What about bounty hunters? I'm pretty sure they're not "good-guys".

It's awesome that you put this together so fast, but not all of us are online all the time, and I for one have an extremely unpredictable work schedule.
    Stephanie, you and Sean have my phone number. A heads-up by phone might be a good idea for me. I guess if anyone on the Communications Committee knows about what's going on they can make a call or two.

22. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    OKay, just a few things here.

First, "bad-guy" campaigns are what I'm talking about. Where the main focus of the campaign is to be, essentially, evil. I run campaigns that allow for everyone generally to play how they would like. What I won't tolerate is characters that turn against the party, i.e. shoot the pilot because he/she disagrees with you.

Playing a "good-guy" campaign is just a reference to which general side your on. A good example of this is actually Han Solo at the end of Ep. IV, where he gets his pay, leaves, then comes back because deep down, he's a good guy. I don't mind people playing Bounty Hunters, or Smugglers, or even crime lords, as long as when push comes to shove, you wind up on the side of good, and the side of the party.

Second, it should be a group decision, or a GM decision about letting Jedi play. One of my biggest pet-peeves is people that are so closed minded they ruin it for everyone else. We have a group with a lot of people who don't want to play Jedi, and that's fine with me. But since there are other people out there who might want to play a Jedi at one point or another, if anyone says 'absolutely no Jedi', they feel excluded, and you could turn them off to the RPG group, or even the fan club by doing that. We have newbies in the group, and I fully intend to have them enjoy being brought into the fold of Tabletop RPGs.

If anyone wants to join the group and GM, and make a campaign thats a 'non-Jedi' campaign, that's fine. And as a player, I will respect that decision. Or if the entire group unanymously votes no Jedi ever, then I will respect that too. But as players, you should respect each GMs decision, and respect each other despite character choices. If someone plays a Jedi, and gets picked on for it, then we've all crossed the line somewhere.

The reason I don't want a Jedi now is because we have some people who need to get the hang of the base rules before we get too complicated. It's an easier task for me as a GM to include good examples of the various mechanics for those people if I don't have to worry about Jedi unbalancing the game.

My choice to include Jedi at a later point is as a GM, and since I expect the players to respect me in that role, I have to hold myself to the same standard when I'm just a player. I'm not the only GM in the group, we have 3 people, including myself, that will be running campaigns for the group. If you don't want to be a player in my campaigns where I allow Jedi, that's fine, no one is telling anyone they have to come out and play every week. The other GMs might allow non Jedi force users, or nothing force related in their campaigns. We all need to understand that is their choice for the game they run.

I feel that yes, Stephanie did start this group, but as a group we should make decisions.

That's just my two cents on that.

23. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    WALL OF TEXT!!!

Didn't use all of your words today Corvalis? Short, concise comments will get more attention that a novel. I'm trying to be helpful, because not all of us have hours to read through threads.

So here's three conditions for me ever trying the Star Wars RPG:

1. Civil War Era

2. No Jedi (being the Civil War, there shouldn't be any)

3. No decisions by committee (nothing ever gets accomplished)

And honestly, the best person to GM a game would either be Chris or Smudge, IMHO, since I know them, and trust both of their judgments.

PS. Jedi Kiss Their Sisters!

24. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER

BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    ^ you sound a tad angry there [face_tired]

I understand and respect your thoughts on long posts (being a slow reader myself) but I believe Corvallis was only trying to explain. I read through the post quick enough.

As for no decisions by committee.... [face_thinking] wha.... At the Character meeting, the group of us seemed to be able to make a decision as a whole so may be it could be a majority ruling with GM having final say...:)

As for GM, since you were not at the meeting I wouldnt rule Corvallis out yet. He knows his stuff and seems quite able :D

We are all geeks here, so lets try not to pick on each other...the whole of society can do that for us ;)

GROUP HUG [:D]

25. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I like you Sean. I'm not picking on anyone, I just don't appreciate having to read through 6 paragraphs of something that could be summed up in 2 sentences. Stan told me a story of when he was moderating some SWG boards, if someone ever posted something long-winded, the mods there would replace the post with one summed up sentence, sounds like a good policy to me... that's all. ;)

I like a very specific part of Star Wars, which is to say the criminal underworld aspect and 80% of the original trilogy. I don't buy into the jedi hype or the clone wars (or boba fett as an Australian), or any of the garbage that's been thrown into the SW mythos in the past 20 years. Sure some of it's good, but most of it is pure, unmitigated crap. That's my opinion, so I take a pretty strong stance against "fans" who are all ga-ga about the most commercialized parts of SW. I will argue until my dying breath, that jedi are not that cool after all (as anyone who's been in the group a while will tell you)

I'll probably sit the SW RPG out, let everyone have their fun, or whatever. I'll wait and see if Smudge starts a BSG RPG.

(problem is, I'd really like to try the SW RPG, but to get interested in it, it's going to have to be on my own terms with a character that I know)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.