main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA Star Wars RPG

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by TaintedJedi, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    Since it was mentioned at the last meeting, I wanted to throw up a thread about us starting an RPG group! Would people like to make it one of our monthly meetings every few months? A separate event? What sort of era do people want to play in? Favorite characters/droids/planets? Do people have specific characters they want to "be like" (Boba Fett/Bounty Hunters, Han Solo/Smugglers, Jedi, etc).... the game can simulate just about anything in the universe, so it's up to any interested potential players or game masters to voice their preferences and ideas!

-TJ

2. Jedidoria

Jedidoria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2006
    I want to play the dirty rotten scoundress with a heart of gold that was Han Solo's love before he took that damn job in Mos Eisley. Is it that type of role playing? I'll even dress up. :D

3. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Do you want to base it off of Bria Tharen? Solo was involved with her before Episode IV, over the course of several novels and some comics...

4. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    *tongue in cheek* I was hoping Marric would get the hint and offer to dress up for me as my favorite bad boy. [face_whistling] But, since he didn't, I guess I can take this seriously and say, yes, actually, she might be a good character for me to start with.

Sheesh, you gotta knock some men right over the head. :(

5. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    I got it, but I chose to ignore the innuendo since this is a family board. ;)

-TJ

6. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    I guess he just chooses to ignore it, period. :rolleyes:

Glad we got to talk more about this last night, though. I think we should really try to get it going. It would be fun if we could get a group together. Maybe you need to explain it more so the people that have never played these types of games are willing to maybe give it a try...

7. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    from wikipedia:
    Role playing games are fundamentally different from most other types of games in that they stress social interaction and collaboration, whereas board games, card games, and sports emphasize competition.

Both authors and major publishers of pen-and-paper role-playing games consider them to be a form of interactive and collaborative storytelling. Events, characters and narrative structure give a sense of a narrative experience, and the game need not have a strongly-defined storyline. Interactivity is the crucial difference between role-playing games and traditional fiction. Whereas a viewer of a television show is a passive observer, a player at a role-playing game makes choices that affect the story. Such role-playing games extend an older tradition of storytelling games where a small party of friends collaborate to create a story.

While simple forms of role-playing exist in traditional children's games such as "cops and robbers" and "cowboys and Indians", role-playing games add a level of sophistication and persistence to this basic idea with additions such as game facilitators and rules of interaction. Participants in a role-playing game will generate specific characters and an ongoing plot. A consistent system of rules and a more or less realistic campaign setting in games aids suspension of disbelief. The level of realism in games ranges from just enough internal consistency to set up a believable story or credible challenge up to full-blown simulations of real-world processes.

8. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    Geez. I meant in simple lay-terms.:p Like this: we will all pick a character that we like from the SW Universe. We will then get to roll dice for that character's "stats," i.e. wisdom, strength, stamina (never played the SW RPG so I'm not sure exactly what stats a character has). Then, we get our band of folk together and set off on our adventure. It's played on a grid board and you roll your cool geek dice to see if you win or lose at the tasks at hand and move your character through the game accordingly.

My only real RPG experience is D&D, so I'm only guessing that the Star Wars game is similar. Other than having to do basic math on the spot, it's a super fun way to spend an evening with friends. It's geekery in it's truest form, so our gang is ripe for the challenge.;)

Now, who is with us? (I expect to hear at least one, "General, count me in.")

9. Marric_Korde

Marric_Korde Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 16, 2006
    "General, count me in!"

It will be a tough choice between the rogue-ish scoundrel :cool: or the lovable foppish robot :-B. decisions, decisions........[face_thinking]

10. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh mooey mooey... meesa in too!

11. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    *cricket*

*cricket*

Sooooo, looks like me, Marric and TJ are the RPG group. The rest of you will be jealous when we all dress up and go LARPing about with our characters. You'll all be sorry you didn't join us then!:-B

*cricket*

*cricket*

12. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Meh. Unless it involves a bbq i guess no one else cares.

13. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Well its a little quiet in the ESB on the Big Screen thread. Can't promise a bbq but Im sure something edible can be arranged :)

14. Leia1138

Leia1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 2006
    It's a little quiet on these boards, period!

15. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    LOL, you gotta love LARPers, especially the web redemption from Tosh.0!!!
    http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?title=web-redemption---the-larper&videoId=311875

~DZ

16. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    You're the second person in the past couple of days to bring up this show Tosh .O. I think I will need to investigate.

17. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    i have been going through the saga edition rules and brushing up on the mechanics... also going to see if i can find folks at Sac State to try out some stuff with... hopefully, we will be able to game soon for those interested. Of course, it's basically the DnD group... so that makes it easy. ;)

-TJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.