main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Saga; A Slave's journey in the galaxy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthTapion, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTapion

DarthTapion Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004
    I mean think about it. R2D2 is in every single SW movie, and he knows the most out of everyone. He knows all about everything. He's been everywhere, he's done everything. He's had many close-to-death experinces, yet he always survives. I mean, screw Anakin and Luke. IT'S ALL ABOUT R2D2!

Just felt like making a topic that didnt say "ANAKIN TURN IS SO WEAK!" or "SCREENPLAY SUCKS" or "SCREENPLAY ROCKS".

Note: Yes, I do beleive that R2D2 is a slave. I mena, all droids in the galaxy are basicalyl slaves. Sure, they have nice relationship with their masters, but so did a lot slaves in real world. And their masters do try to save them, but not only after until saving themselves first. Plus, their property of others.

2. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    Anakin was a slave too.

Slave on Tatooine...

Slave to the Jedi... (in a way)

Slave to Sidious...

The guy can't catch a break...

3. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, i see what you're saying

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    http://boards.theforce.net/The_Star_Wars_Saga/b10456/13519755/?32

That is a wonderful thread which discusses how the character of R2 unites the films into one saga. It is good and interesting reading.

Anyway I don't see R2 as a slave. He loves the adventures, he cares for the characters, and to him it is a way of life. He willingly tags along and goes above and beyond what he is supposed to. On Geonosis, no one ordered him to enter the factory to help them, he did it anyway. On Tatooine in Episode IV, he could have escaped and not delivered the message, it was he who insisted on completing the mission. At the beginning of Return of the Jedi, we see the same personality trait. The guy is determined, loyal and resourceful. He is their friend and their ally, not their slave.

The slave is Anakin, enslaved by Watto, then by the Jedi, then by Palpatine and the suit.

-Seldon

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Y'know, it's interesting to think about Anakin's role in Star Wars. No matter whom he served, he was always doing someone's dirty work for them. When he was working under Watto, he had to do everything they told. When he was a Jedi, he wiped out most of the Sith apprentices and important Separatists figures during the Clone Wars (as far as the EU goes), when he serves Palpatine, he wipes out the Jedi and basically runs most of the Imperial circuit for him, and, hell, the whole reason the Force created him was so that he could "clean house," so to speak, and bring back balance. Interesting... [face_thinking]

*cough* Anyway, I agree with Seldon - R2 isn't a slave. Even though he's supposed to be "inferior" to the main character because he's a droid and non-sentient, he's often treated like a friend. I think Luke with R2 on Dagobah really reflects the relationship the character have with the droids the most - as good friends who look out for one another. (R2 peeking into Yoda's hut to see if Luke's okay always makes me smile.)

6. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    You know I kind of wish that they would do a third Star Wars trilogy but rather than focus it directly on the Skywalker clan they could focus it on Artoo. I don't even mean that Artoo/Threepio double-whammy I just mean Artoo.

I mean has there ever been a garbage can shaped character who doesn't speak any known human languages who has so much personality and presence? Have you ever seen a character like that who has become the shadow hero of an entire saga. Luke and Anakin and Obi-Wan and Han and Leia are all obvious heroes. But Artoo is the one who rolls his sleeves up and make their adventures possible.

I'd love to see even if it were just a one shot movie Artoo finding his place in a free galaxy or even better leading a droid revolution. One of the themes in all the Star Wars movies are that droids are considered inferior and are to be mocked and cast aside. Artoo has been kicked out of the galley of a refugee ship and been kicked out of a bar. Obi-Wan jokes about the ability of droids to think and we've seen thousands of droids destroyed in the Clone Wars.

It's about time someone stood up for droid rights and that being should be Artoo!

Besides imagine if the galaxy were at peace and Artoo declared a droid liberation front and he was forced into conflict with the very people who he was friends with in the OT.

Artoo Deetoo vs Luke Skywalker! Would Luke even stand a chance? I think not!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.