main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ ** STAR WARS SAGA COMING TO TV3 **

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Buzz-Bumble, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Get set for a great Waitangi Weekend!

TV3 are playing four of the Star Wars saga movies (plus at least one documentary) over consecutive nights ...
    • A New Hope
      7:30pm - 10.10pm, Thursday 6 February

• A Long Time Ago: The Story of Star Wars
      10.10pm - 11.10pm, Thursday, 6 February

• The Empire Strikes Back
      7:30pm - 10.15pm, Friday, 7 February

• Return of the Jedi
      7:30pm - ???, Saturday, 8 February

• The Phantom Menace
      7:30pm - ???, Sunday, 9 February
    I'm not sure what time those last two finish (or start), or what other documentaries they might be playing - we'll have to wait for the next issue of TV Guide to find out for sure.

YIPPEE!! :D

2. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Please let it be widescreen!

3. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    Yawn.

Here we go again. A bazillion adverts at crucial points in the story. Pan 'n' Scan format.

Good on'ya TV3 but I think I'll watch my own copies when I feel like it thank you very much.

[/cynical_post] ;)

4. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    :D :D :D :D :D

I'll have to check to see if I've already got 'A Long Time Ago' on tape.

The one I'd really like to see is 'From Star Wars to Jedi - hosted by Mark Hamill'. I've seen all the other original docos (including the one where Lucas speculates on who Leia will end up with :) ) but not that one.

5. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Yep flipped through TV Guide at Foodtown lastnight and was very happy :D :D :D Widescreen or not it's better than not having the last 30 minutes of ANH. 8-}

6. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I have that on video. Might be able to organise a copy for ya if youre keen.

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Chans, you're talking to Kitt, aye.

8. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    I have star wars to jedi but im not sure if its mark hamill hosting it or not i havent watched it for so long

by the way i can incode anything off tape to mpeg format on my pc then put it on cd

9. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Ace could you incode it and put it on Kazza or something?

10. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

To do that properly you need a HUGEMUNGOUS amount of free hard disk space ... as I found out. I occassionally video capture the intro sequences to TV shows, but even at 1/4 screen size the two minute intro easily eats up a many, many hundreds of megabytes of disk space. :(

11. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Free hard drive space 37.4 would that be enougth if I had the right software?

12. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Err ... 37.4 what?

Bytes - you need to delete something. Windows probably doesn't even like loading up with such a small amount of free hard disk space. :p

Megabytes - no where near enough, unless you want to video capture it in small pieces and write each piece out to CD, but they'd be LOTS of pieces.

Gigabytes - well, much better, but you'll probablt still need to work with a small screen size and get the video capture card to compress the data as it comes in.

Terabytes - perfect, but can I have a credit card linked to your account? :p

I can't quite remember what I was using, but for a quarter size screen capture I was using about 2 gigabytes for just for the 1-2 minute intro sequences - once I re-saved them out as QuickTime .mov files they compressed down to 10-15 megabytes (which took about half an hour to compress/save).

Video capture takes TONS of room and a FAST computer to do properly. :(

13. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Terabytes ..... I wish

34.7 Gigbytes lol

I was checking some DVD burning stuff awhile back and yeah that took like 2 hours with around 20% of the origonal quality gone....

14. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Chans, you're talking to Kitt, aye.

Yep :p

15. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Why Kazza? :confused: Just get ACE to mail you a copy of his vcd. :) If you *really* want to watch that thing.

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    I'm kinda amazed that this is actually causing excitement. Do people here not actually _own_ the videos?

I couldn't think of anything worse than watching the films on TV, interrupted by ads every 10 or so minutes, plus no doubt they'll be pan'n'scan as well.

Whoopee ...

I may pull out my videos out of spite ...

Lawrence

17. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't think pan and scan is *that* bad. With the small tv I have--it's a lot smaller than 29"--widescreen means everything gets even smaller :(. and yes I still get excited when my fave movies/tv shows are on tv even if I already have the video or DVD. 8-}

18. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Maybe SWNZ can get TV3 to put a free "public service" advert on during the movies to boost membership. :)

Which reminds me, TV3 now have another annoying new toy they're over-using - advertising other shows across the bottom of the one your TRYING to watch. :(

19. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    I only have a 6gig HD i only have 900mb free which ineed to make the pc not bugger up so unless i delete alot of things i cant really do anything big at high detail.

its annoying mum buys a $250 capture box and i tell her u need lots of HD room but she dosent listen

also for me to put it kazza would mean me being on the net 24/7

20. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

You can always plug a VCR (and aerial connection) into the video capture card / box and use your computer as a spare TV. :)

I haven't bothered to work out the amounts of disk space needed (it depends on the video size, frame rate, etc.), but according to my latest Mac magazine even heavily compressed digital video from DV cameras results in about 13gigabytes per hour ... about 220megabytes per minute which seems about right. :(

I've currently got two hard drives in my minitower Mac - the original 6gigabyte one (with 1.7gigabytes free) and a jury-rigged 6gigabyte laptop drive (with 380megabytes free) donated by my brother when he upgraded his. He's also just gave me a CD-RW drive that his work no longer needs, so maybe when I get time I'll start burning some of the stored stuff to CD - like the 1.75gigabytes of Star Wars files. :)

21. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I've got the original THX 95 releases, the initial SE release in pannscan, and the 2000 release in widescreen ... but I still get excited when they're on tv,

I don't know ... it's just that feeling of watching it with thousands of others all over the country :)

I think you actually get a better picture from broadcast TV rather than video tape ... but that probably depends on how flash your VCR is.

22. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't trust my 6 year old tv with the built-in VCR. [face_plain]

TV3 now have another annoying new toy they're over-using - advertising other shows across the bottom of the one your TRYING to watch

That's where duct tape comes in! :D

23. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Yeah ... for wrapping around the hands, feet and mouth of the idiot TV3 person who came up with the idea before attaching them to an anchor and throwing them into the Auckland Harbour. :mad:

24. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    yeah i would use it as a tv if i could be bothered running arieal cable tot he other end of the house

25. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Hmph. Despite having owned both the original and SE trilogy for some time, there's still a sense of nostalgic excitement for me in the fact that they're playing SW on tv yet again.

In all honesty, I'm probably not going to make the effort to watch any of them seriously save the doco and ESB, which IMHO is the best of the lot. (I find that it's the only one I'll watch in one sitting if I flick it on the vcr.)

It's nice to see them screening them night after night though instead of doing them as a weekly premiere like with the Indy trilogy.

Also, a lot of younger viewers might not of seen all of the old films and despite ANH being on a weeknight and school having started again, I can wager we'll get a few fans into the fold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.