main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars Saga - Documentaries and behind the scenes

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SW Saga Fan, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  3. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Elstree 1976 is on Netflix.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it was ok. it's not really about making sw though just the bit players and their lives.

5. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    This is, in my opinion, one of the best Star Wars documentary, along with Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed from the History Channel. Here's a free preview of the documentary:

6. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    My cousin showed me The People vs George Lucas a few years ago and I saw From Star Wars to Jedi when I was little.

7. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
  8. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    I haven't been posting on this thread for quite a while, but I've just found this documentary about the making of the SE in 1997:

anakinfansince1983 I thought this thread was stickied before?

BenYodaDagobah likes this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    SW Saga Fan anakinfansince1983 We recently unpinned a number of threads due to the sheer number of pinned threads we had. Is there a reason why this thread should be pinned?

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Just to plunk down with some quick (subjective) thoughts here:

i) "The Legacy Revealed" gets my vote as the best commentary/talking-heads documentary on the Star Wars saga. Lots of solid insights; and I love the authentic "History Channel" feel of it.

ii) "The Beginning: Making Episode I" is the greatest production/verite/fly-on-the-wall "making of" documentary. Think, in a slightly abstract way, of it being the rough equivalent of Threepio in his "naked" state; it being a sort of playful/satirical ode to TPM and the PT as a whole.

iii) "From Star Wars To Jedi: The Making Of A Saga" is the most fascinating documentary to me because I hold that it has some of the most illuminating comments by Lucas in any of the documentary/behind-the-scenes material. I also think it works well as a summary piece for the OT period in general.

xezene and Subtext Mining like this.
  11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's a tough call, but I'd say the original "Making of 'Star Wars'" is my favorite, since it was the first one and set the tone. It also has old-radio favorite William Conrad narrating, actual comments from Alec Guinness on set, and Mark Hamill delivering one of the funniest lines in the whole history of the franchise.

Cryogenic likes this.
  12. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The main reason why I asked to the moderators last year to pin this thread was for people, on this forum, to easily post, watch and discuss documentaries regarding the entire saga, whether it talks about the making of the movies, behind the scenes, its sources of inspiration, etc... since we didn't have any thread of this kind here before.

Though, it seems that this thread has been inactive for a while since I created it and I haven't checked it for some time since I come less often on the Jedi Council forums now...

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    SW Saga Fan likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The issue with having a lot of stickied threads is that people's eyes tend to glaze over them after awhile, especially if there are several. Bazinga'd and I wanted to unsticky several older threads for that reason.

We can always resticky any of them which get really active again and the need becomes apparent. The idea was not to discourage people from posting in the thread but to trim down clutter.

ETA: LOL ninja'd

Bazinga'd and SW Saga Fan like this.
  15. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The links to some of the early documentaries I posted on this thread seems to be broken. Here are some alternatives:

Empire of Dreams (2004)

From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga (1977-1983)

Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed (2007)

And here's another I've just found:

Star Wars SP FX: The Empire Strikes Back Laserdisc Documentary

thejeditraitor and Cryogenic like this.
  16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Excellent work.

I recommended two of your three above.

And I love that last one (the TESB Laserdisc doc)!!!

"Imagination. It's got to have a practical side: a way of translating dream into reality."

SW Saga Fan likes this.