main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars Saga: Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Han Burgundy, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Everyone has Pros and Cons for each of the films. What are yours? They can be as broad or nitpicky as you like.

Give as many or few as you like, but I'll start off with a pro and con for each film.

TPM

Pro: Incredible visual variety and design

Con: "The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute". Try to read that 5 times without getting progressively sleepier.

AOTC

Pro: The Battle of Geonosis is a fascinating monster of an action climax.

Con: This was the first major blockbuster to be shot on digital cameras (something I really respect GL for). Sadly, it shows.

ROTS

Pro: Anakin jumps as the music swells to its final crescendo. The Obi Wan just matter of factly cuts Anakins arm and legs off, his torso skids down the hill has the music goes silent, and everyone gasps in horror. Wonderful bit of storytelling.

Con: Ian McDarmid's Gollumn impression.

ANH

Pro: Trench run. Speed. Intensity. Nail-biting tension.

Con: Two droids in the desert. Uneventful. Slow. Yawn.

ESB

Pro: Luke ignites his saber with proud, but nervous, anticipation. Vader, unmoving, ignites his saber seemingly out of thin air (the shadow hides his movement). We realize, now that Luke has made a terrible mistake.

Con: Unintentional incest.

ROTJ

Pro: Luke rage-fighting Vader.

Con: "Well, this is the final, climactic chapter of a six-part, epic Sci-Fi saga. What should we do?" "Lets shoot 3/4 of it in the redwood forest! With Teddy Bears!"

So those are mine. Also, feel free to switch it up by doing Jimmy Fallon-esque, comedy Pro/Cons, such as:

Pro: Getting to finally reveal myself to the Jedi and take our revenge!

Con: The revenge happens 13 years after I get turned into Maul-Sushi. Thanks, Palpy.

2. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    TPM
    Pro: Energized, visually stunning and fun to watch
    Con: George's sense of humor really isn't funny
    AOTC
    Pro: Again visually stunning. The last hour alone is phenomenal.
    Con: Cringe worthy dialogue and lots of good stuff removed.
    ROTS
    Pro: Emotionally charged and exciting piece of film
    Con: Again, a lot of good stuff cut out. Plus Threepio walking in after that perfect scene almost ruined it.
    ANH
    Pro: What can I say? I'm still in love with it. Greatest film ending of all time.
    Con: I still wanna edit my own version of it! Put Biggs back in and revise the entire Mos Eisley sequence.
    ESB
    Pro: It's pretty much the perfect movie.
    Con: Gratuitous overuse of the Imperial March.
    ROTJ
    Pro: A fitting end to a great saga and my favorite John Williams score to boot.
    Con: Second Death Star and secret twin sister. Felt like lazy writing.

Sarge likes this.
  3. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Which scene, specifically, are you referring to?

As for mine...

TPM:

--Pro: Great start to the Saga. Balances a local conflict (Naboo) while setting up for the rest of the Saga very well.
    --Con: A bit too much in terms of Jar Jar antics during the battle of Naboo.

AOTC:

--Pro: Has probably my favorite sound effect in the Saga. Does an excellent job balancing/interweaving the character growth with the brewing conflict.
    --Con: Droid factory. Also, Padmé's family scenes should be reinserted.

ROTS:

--Pro: The most emotionally taxing/rewarding film in the Saga and carries a great operatic sweep
    --Con: Reinsert discussion about changes to the Constitution. Palpatine's silly faces during his fight with Mace

ANH:

--Pro: Probably the most transporting film in the Saga. Perfect escapism.
    --Con: Leia's non-reaction to Alderaan's destruction

ESB:

--Pro: Luke. The character's journey here really makes this film. Piett and the Imperial officers -- who aren't just standard cut-out villains but seem like real human beings.
    --Con: The lack of development of the central Rebel vs. Empire conflict. Han's pushiness.

ROTJ:

--Pro: Luke's faith and his relationship with Leia and his father are the emotional core of this film.
    --Con: Ewoks (specifically that they kick the Imperials' butts with Home Alone traps).

4. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    The scene where Anakin and Padme were looking out to each other across the Coruscant skyline.

Darth Dnej and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    TPM:
    • Pro: The Jedi in general. The wisdom and strength of fully-trained Jedi is nothing short of impressive.
    • Con: The humor is the only thing that dates this one
    AOTC:
    • Pro: The last half of the movie is the thrill and excitement we've come to expect from Star Wars.
    • Con: The first half tends to drag and has some confusing elements.
    ROTS:
    • Pro: Excellent transition between trilogies, emotionally engrossing.
    • Con: Probably the dialogue between Anakin and Padmé
    ANH:
    • Pro: Immediate and captivating story.
    • Con: If I had to say something, it'd probably be some of the technical bloopers, but nothing really jumps out as obvious.
    ESB:
    • Pro: We're shown the ways of the Force by Yoda, and Luke thinks he's ready to take on the ultimate evil in the galaxy.
    • Con: The main cast spends much of the movie separated.
    ROTJ:
    • Pro: The conclusion that amounts in the destruction of the Emperor and the return of Anakin Skywalker.
    • Con: The immediate effect that the Ewok's have on the Emperor's "best men"
    Obviously, the pros outweigh the cons by a large margin. These are my largest praises for each movie, while faced with my biggest nitpicks.

Ananta Chetan and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    TPM

Pros: Some awesome visuals, the lightstaff, Ian's presence, Liam's presence.

Con: Just about everything. Jar Jar, pod race way too long, Jake Lloyd's acting, Maul mishandled, Qui-Gon mishandled, the fact Sir Alec's line in ESB is not borne out that Yoda instructed him, midis, one of the lamest things in the Saga and a huge inconsistency in presentation. The fact the Jedi are not what they are said to be in the OT, treating the belief in a being greaer than yourself like it's only for primitives ala the Gungans

AotC:

Pros: Sir Christopher Lee showing that grey doesn't have to equal absolutely awful, Ewan grows into Obi-Wan some, the creatures, Dooku's solar sailer is beautiful, Dooku being Qui's Master and the fact he's more honest then most Jedi, Ian as Palps

Cons: Anakin's handling, Padme's handling, stilted dialogue, forced romance that reads very unromantic

RotS

Pros: Christopher's presence, the SD precursor, the Jedi Starfighter, Ian is awesome as Palps, Obi-Wan

Cons: everything to do with Mustafar and Anakin's fall--totally uncredible including the visuals, the fact that I wanted to see Anakin as a fallen hero and I can't due to the presentation route taken, the fact that Anakin basically destroyed his own Order and plunged the galaxy into darkness out of pure selfishness what a turn off.

ANH

Pros: Peter's presence and class, the fact Tarkin is not afraid of Vader, the X-Wing, lightsaber visual, Biggs

Cons: The whole premise of war, Tarkin's death, Biggs' death, the mentor dies to make a boy a man trope, Greedo shooting first, Jabba

ESB

Pros: music and the father/son reveal

Cons: Basically everything else

RotJ

Pros: Redemption tale, end of the Saga, Ian as Palps

Cons: pacing, Jedi Rocks, Ewoks, treating the belief in a being greater than yourself as primitive ala the Ewoks, Luke forcing Threepio to lie

I love all the scores and soundtracks by John Williams his music is part of the fabric of SW.

7. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    Cushing's Admirer, I have to ask (and I mean this without any condescension): Do you actually, on the whole, like any of the Star Wars films? I ask this only because you seem to have very major, very fundamental grievances with each of the films.

Also, what do you mean by "the premise of war"? You mean to say you don't like war as a concept, or you don't like the manner in which war was implemented into the story of the film?

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Alienware like this.
  8. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I'm right with you on this. He just looks awful !

G.lucas shoudn't have tried to emulate gothic/horror genre that much...

TPM
    Pro : Coruscant and the senate scenes (Palpatine and the Queen etc...).
    Con : Jar Jat antics and the battle gungans/droids.

AOTC
    Pro : Obi-Wan versus Jango Fett fight and Anakin versus Dooku duel : great visuals and choregraphy.
    Con : Picnic and fireplcae scenes - CSI meeting in Geonosis : too much CGI crap.

ROTS
    Pro : middle part. Great scenes and tension.
    Con : Sidious look after Mace's duel - Boga (plain CGI ) - Anakin versus Obi-Wan duel : closer to a videogame to me - NOOOOOoooooo !

ANH
    Pro : Most of. Particularly Tatooine scenes and DS battle.
    Con : monster gallery at the cantina (a little too much).

ESB
    Pro : Almost everything. Especially Luke versus Vader Cloud City duel : Star Wars best sequence to me.
    Con : Some lame effects and background in some Cloud City scenes.

ROTJ
    Pro : Luke-Vader-the Emperor DS scenes and space battle. Yoda's scenes and Vader's death. Just terrific.
    Con : the Ewoks - The monster factory at Jabba's palace - Some really clunky lines.

9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I'm not really sure how the film treats the belief in a being greater than yourself as primitive. The Gungans aren't really a primitive culture -- they've got extensive underwater cities, councils, advanced transportation (the Bongo), an army, pretty good shielding technology, and one of their members becomes a representative in the Senate. I mean, Jar Jar himself is a bit of a clumsy fool, but the other Gungans flat-out banished him. I always thought they were a pretty cool culture.

I'm surprised you didn't like the treatment of the Imperial officers in this film. I liked that they had distinct personalities and some were shown as men of honor. Needa springs to mind as someone who, despite fighting for the Empire, was certainly presented with many good qualities.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    PH: Please just except I don't see things exactly like you.

I didn't say I didn't like the Imperials shown as men, you're assuming. I went in depth with my response to the thread holder. I won't potentially cause a verbal spat in this thread. If you want to know my in depth views on the Saga in general PM me.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    TPM

Pros: It's Star Wars

Cons:

AOTC

Cons:

ROTS

Cons:

ANH

Cons:

TESB

Cons:

ROTJ

Cons:

12. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    TPM:
    PROS: I liked the final light saber battle with Obi Wan and Darth Maul. That was excellent. Ewan was good. Liam was great. John Williams score.
    CONS: Just about everything else.

AOTC:
    PROS: I liked that scene where Hayden confesses about killing the sand people. A rare flash of some acting chops by Hayden. Ewan was good. Finally get to meet Bail Organa. John Williams score
    CONS: Just about everything else.

ROTS:
    PROS: I pretty much loved it all after Anakin "turned Dark". Ewan was good. Bail Organa--I love him. John Williams score.
    CONS: "Nooooooo!" and Padme's lame death. I also thought Anakin turned rather abruptly in that scene with Palpatine.

ANH:
    PROS: That very first shot in the film. Leia's balls in holding her own against Darth Vader. That whole sequence of Han/Luke/Leia aboard the Death Star. Love it! John Williams score.
    CONS: I guess when the droids are walking through the dessert it drags a little. But it's not too bad.

ESB:
    PROS: Darth Vader at his best and most evil. Han and Leia's entire storyline. Yoda's explanation of the Force. "No, I am your father." That's my favorite light saber fight. John Williams.
    CONS: I really can't think of any. I love this film so much.

ROTJ:
    PROS: Sand barge battle. Luke is completely badass, I love him in this film. John Williams.
    CONS: Ewoks. The watering down of Han and Leia's characters. I still don't understand how Luke is a Jedi if he never went back to Yoda between ESB and ROTJ. Leia being Luke's sister---I don't actually mind this. But I just wish it didn't have a "tacked-on" kinda feel to it.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    After chatting to PH she pointed out I forgot something in my post for Pros for ESB: Imperials shown as men, that's a HUGE plus.

14. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    TPM
    Pros: Darth Maul, Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan, Sidious, Podrace, Duel of the Fates, great tie-in video game
    Cons: Jar Jar, lackluster beginning, Midi-Chlorians,lLame humor, little Annie (at times)

AOTC
    Pros: Obi-Wan (Ewan's performance), Geonosis, Kit Fisto's smile, Dooku
    Cons: Terrible romance, slow Plot, almost no Sidious, Anakin being whiny and ...strange, Yoda fighting

ROTS
    Pros: Obi-Wan, great duels, Grievous, Palpatine kicks a** (am I allowed to say that?), Battle of the Heroes, Battle in Palps' office (I actually like that)
    Cons: Padme, Broken Heart, Yoda is dumb, Anakin's turn is too abrupt, Needless dark tone at times

ANH
    Pros: The characters, the droids, introduction to Vader, everything not listed below
    Cons: The Special Addition changes, the duel is... not great by today's standards

TESB
    Pros: The revelation, Boba Fett, the romance is pretty good, Yoda, Hoth
    Cons: Boring stretches, Leia kissng Luke (uggghhh...)

ROTJ
    Pros: The Palace and Sail Barge, the alien entourage, Boba Fett, C-3PO and R2-D2 on Endor, the final duel and Anakin's redemption, greatest space battle put onto film, Ackbar and the Mon Calamari species in general
    Cons: Ewoks at times, Obi-Wan's attempt to "apologize to Luke"... from a certain point of view, Jedi Rocks and more Special Addition Changes

:rolleyes:

15. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    TPM
    Pros: The first 12 minutes - makes a great start...
    Cons: The next two hours - Poor performances, Jar Jar and dancing/duelling Jedi

AOTC
    Pros: Dooku/Yoda duel - I never stopped laughing until an hour later
    Cons: Everything else and the cannibalization of Williams' score

ROTS
    Pros: The opening POV shot of the Coruscant space battle - another great start
    Cons: A rushed story compacted into just over 2 hours with a very poor ending and some bad compositing

ANH
    Pros: The original theatrical cut
    Cons: The Special Editions

ESB

ROTJ

_Catherine_ likes this.
  16. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    TPM

Pros: Maul, Qui-Gon, Padmé, and DOTF.
    Cons: Jar Jar, and the lame deaths of Maul of Qui-Gon.

AOTC

Pros: JANGO and ALL THE JEDI and CLONES.
    Cons: Jango's death(shut up), Anakin attempting to be smooth.

ROTS

Pros: birth of Vader and Order 66(*cries*).
    Cons: the fact that the scenes showing that some Senators actually had a spine were cut.

ANH

Pros: TIE fighters, Leia, bye-bye Death Star, discussion of the Force.
    Cons: the joke that is Obi-Wan vs. Vader and Obi-Wan dodging the truth about Vader.

ESB

Pros: AT-ATs, Leia and Han's romance, "I am your father", Boba.
    Cons: Mark Hamill's NOOOO(and everyone rips on Hayden?), accidental incest.

ROTJ

Pros: bye-bye Jabba, scout troopers, Vader's redemption, bye-bye Sidious.
    Cons: Boba falling into the Sarlacc(shut up), and ewoks. Living teddy bears should not be able to take down an Empire.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TPM:

Pros: The pod race scene and Qui-Gon Jinn.

Cons: Boss Nass drooling.

AOTC:

Pros: The first view of the clone army. Holy. ****. And the Naboo picnic and dinner scene; they were just having fun and I liked it. Plus the garage scene; great acting on Hayden's part.

Cons: It was extremely painful to watch Anakin make an ass of himself several times.

ROTS:

Pros: the opening battle, Anakin and Obi-Wan banter, and the scene when Padme announced her pregnancy

Cons: the rest of the movie.

ANH:

Pros: Leia's rescue scene. Everything Han said and did.

Cons: Luke whining about power converters. 3PO whining about the spice mines of Kessel.

ESB:

Pros: Hoth. Introduction to AT-ATs. "I love you...I know."

Cons: The incest kiss. Having to wait three years to find out if Vader was really Luke's father.

ROTJ:

Pros: "You were right...you were right about me. Tell your sister...you were right."

Cons: Jabba the Hutt. Disgusting creature.

18. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    The Phantom Menace:

Pros: Great beginning to the Whole Saga, great characters, a fun adventure, fantastic action and special effects, amazing visuals, Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul, the Pod Race, Duel of the Fates, has none of Lucas' terrrible romance, and the best lightsaber duel in the entire Saga.
    Cons: Some dull parts and a little too much Jar Jar.

Attack of the Clones:

Pros: We get to the real meat of the story, Coruscant chase, beginning of the Clone Wars, Anakin being tempted by the Dark Side, Battle of Geonosis, Yoda pulling out his lightsaber.
    Cons: The romance between Anakin and Padme.

Revenge of the Sith:

Pros: The most emotionally powerful and ambitious film in the Whole Saga, plays like a great operatic Greek tragedy, and connects the Whole Saga together perfectly.
    Cons: Some very cringeworthy dialouge by Hayden Christensen.

A New Hope:

Pros: A new begining, Luke meeting Obi-Wan, seeing Darth Vader, meeting Han Solo.
    Cons: The film has shown its age, Luke is too whiny, it feels a little too slow-paced and dull, and that terrible duel between Obi-Wan and Vader.

The Empire Strikes Back:

Pros: Very dark and brooding, engaging characters, Vader's father revelation to Luke, and a massive cliffhanger.
    Cons: Han and Leia's romance, and Luke and Leia kissing each other.

Return of the Jedi:

Pros: Everything ties together and the whole story concludes, best action and specials effects of the OT, Luke's best potrayal, Luke's final battle with Vader, great climax, Vader overthrowing the Emperor, Anakin's redemption, and a perfect conclusion to the Whole Saga.
    Cons: The slow and boring pacing of Jabba's Place scenes, Boba Fett's lame death, and the friggin Ewoks.

19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    TPM

Pros: Qui-Gon, Obi-wan, Maul, adorable relate-able Anakin, plot, interesting connection between a small conflict on one planet and its effects on the whole galaxy, lightsaber fights, awesome opening (my second fav in the Saga), mix between endearing story and hints of coming darkness, Naboo, best ending in the Saga, John Williams' epic score

Cons: Ok, a little too much Jar Jar. Specifically in the Gungan battle scene.

AOTC

Pros: Dooku, Anakin, Obi-wan, Padme being all hot, Jango Fett, clone creation, Yoda dueling, EPIC final battle, believable love scenes. More hints of darkness. Kamino, John Williams' gorgeous score

Cons: Some of the exchanges are awkward. Not bad writing (because that's how real people act), just really awkward.

ROTS

Pros: Most emotional film in the Saga, best opening in the Saga, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Sideous, Three of the best lines of dialogue in the Saga, final duel, Vader rising, fall of the Jedi, Mustafar, Kashyyk, space battle, scene where Anakin and Padme connect through the Force, John Williams' heart-wrenching score

Cons: "No because I'm so in love with you" scene. Again, just really awkward. Probably the only bad dialogue in the PT. This exchange would be better in ATOC where Anakin & Padme were awkward around each other.

ANH

Pros: Darth Vader, Tarkin, Han's banter with Jabba, space battle, Han's banter on the comlink, Obi-wan's serenity, Vader's interaction with his generals. John Williams' great score

Cons: C3PO. Loooong dragging scenes in the desert, plot holes, Han's interactions with Leia, whinny Luke.

TESB

Pros: Darth Vader, Hoth battle (coolest in the OT), Dagoba, Luke meeting Vader, father reveal, Lando, bad generals humanized, more Vader, cave scene. John Williams' cool score

Cons: Han's pushy and somewhat abusive attitude with Leia, accidental incest, most of Han's dialogue, more annoying C3PO,

ROTJ

Pros: Palpatine, Vader, Luke, death star & space battle (better than in ANH), Luke meeting Palpatine, Vader's redemtion, Force Ghost Anakin, galaxy-wide rejoicing, Speeder bikes, Lando.

Cons: Ewoks, Jabba, more dessert scenes, terrible Rankor graphics, Lapti Nek AND Jedi Rocks, Boba Fett's death, most of the Endor scenes, long Yoda death scene, Leia "always knowing".

20. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    :)

21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    MY BAD - the " best ending in the Saga " was supposed to go with AOTC not TPM.

22. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

I was going to write my own but it would basically be this.

Yanksfan likes this.
  23. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    Seagoat , I have to say I admire your positivity.

24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Wow thank you! I always try to look at things optimistically. Of course, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, so my word is no absolute ^_^

skyrimcat9416 likes this.
  25. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    I'll only name one per movie.

The Phantom Menace:

Pros:
    Having one of most intriguing and amazing looking villains ever written, the guy who could've been the next Darth Vader and given our heroes a valid reason to seek revenge: Darth Maul
    Cons:
    Killing said villain.

Attack of the Clones:

Pros:
    The Kamino scenes and Jango Fett trying to blast Obi Wan into oblivion.
    Cons:
    The horribly written romance between two of the pivotal characters in the movie and the non existent chemistry between Portman and Christensen, resulting in a nonsensical and cringe inducing "relationship" (lol) we're supposed to buy just because the plot needs us to.

Revenge of the Sith:

Pros:
    Ian McDiarmid. I don't think I need to elaborate on that.
    Cons:
    Unintentionally funny moments like From my point of view the Jedi are evil and Noooooo!

A New Hope:

Pros:
    Literally everything about this scene. It's so powerful and it says so much about Luke's character and about what he's feeling and thinking. And he's not even saying anything. The music, the camera angle, Hamill's acting... perfect scene.

[​IMG]

Cons:
    Leia's reaction to Alderaan being destroyed, or almost lack thereof. Really, that's it?

The Empire Strikes Back:

Pros:
    This is an easy one: the whole Dagobah scene. Perfect in every way.
    Cons:
    Can't think of any.

Return of the Jedi:

Pros:
    Vader redeeming himself and asking Luke to help him take his mask off.
    Cons:
    The Imperial Army being defeated by cute little bears.

Han Burgundy likes this.