main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Saga Titles and Organizations

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Crazy_Old_Kermit, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy_Old_Kermit

Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    Ok, didn't know where to put this, figured this bridged all six movies so I would be safe. Bear in mind this is a very pointless subject, but I need to know.

When do things get capitalized when writing in the GFFA? What I mean is, when is CHANCELLOR: Chancellor and chancellor? COUNCIL: Council and council? EMPEROR: Emperor and emperor? MASTER: Master and master? APPRENTICE: Apprentice and apprentice?

Sometimes I see something like, "Hey, there goes the Emperor." And then "Hey, there goes the emperor." I know when one is addressed, you would capitalize it but all the time or not?

I know this is a grammer question, but I'm just wondering for some writing I'm doing. Thanks so much!

2. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    This isn't just a Star Wars thing, its also one of those questions that gets asked in English class.

Generally, if you are refering to someone specific, you capitalize the name.
    ie: "Dad went to the store" <-- talking about Dad.
    "My dad went to the store" <-- dad is a noun, as opposedto a pronoun.

So, If you are refering to the one, the only, Emporer Palpatine, it would be capitalized. If you want to say that so-and-so wanted to be an emporer, it would not be capitalized.

If you are talking about the Jedi Council, or any other council with a proper name, then it would be capitalized. If not, then its not.

I think you get the picture....

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Are you talking about what you see in the subtitles?

4. Crazy_Old_Kermit

Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    Don't you love discussing English in the forums?

Yeah, I was watching ROTJ last night with commentary and subtitles. Anyways, Obi-Wan says "the emperor." I just thought if it was "THE" it would be capitalized. If you address the person I know it would be, but if you are referring to them would it?

So, Council is always capitalized? "The Council wants you to report on all the Chancellor's dealings?" Is that right for the two?

Wow, thanks for the help. I obviously need it!

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    lizard has it right. If it's being used as a noun then it's not capitalized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.