main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars = sci-fi? It´s your choice!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Lars_Muul, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    GL himself has said that Star Wars is not sci-fi, but fantasy. I can see where he´s coming from, so I tend to agree.
    However, whether SW is sci-fi or not is really up to each and one of us. Let me explain:

Science Fiction alters reality in a scientific way. Stories like Jurassic Park, Spider-man and Resident Evil, for example, are therefore sci-fi.
    In order to alter reality, though, a story must take place in our reality, right? Star Trek, for example, follows this criterium, since it takes place in our future.

So take a look at Star Wars. Do you take the words "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" literally, which would mean that SW indeed does take place in our universe and is therefore sci-fi/fantasy(since it also alters reality in a spiritual way with the Force)?
    Or do you take them as a metaphor for "Forget reality for a while and float away to fantasy-land", which would classify SW as pure fantasy?

2. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    "Forget reality for a while and float away to fantasy-land"

Actually, the Weenie thinks thats a pretty accurate translation. That would have been a cool intro to a SW movie too.

3. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    actually, the difference between SF and Fantasy is per definition that the former presents scenarios that are as yet not possible and explains these with scientific or "pseudo-scientific" reasons while Fantasy explains the same scenarios with the supernatural.
    So for example - if you present a scenario where somebody travels faster than the speed of light (as yet impossible) and explains it with "a jump into hyperspace" (pseudo-science) then it's SF, if you on the other hand would explain it with "magic" (supernatural) then you're dealing with Fantasy

4. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Well, SW contains both of those. Which do YOU think it is?

5. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    impossible to say as SW is a mixture of many genres including Western and Comedy
    It's a bit like asking what genre Dr. Strangelove is. It might be a comedy, it might be a war movie or it might be a Science-fiction movie.
    That's why I hate those genre tags they use in video stores. Who decides whether a film is a thriller, a drama or an action film?

6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Star Wars is its own genre. Granted, it has concepts from both science fiction, fantasy, drama, romance, etc., but the true basis and catagorization is unique.

Star Wars has brought a number of new asects and ideas to the table, both in the advancement of story telling, character development, and the way movies work in general IRL.

Even though it contains a number of congruent ideals with science fiction, Star Wars is in its own league.

That is what Star Wars is. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

7. OT-Loyalist

OT-Loyalist Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2003
    I don't think Lucas ever intended Star Wars to be taken so literally. (Ex. How do those hyperdrives work exactly? Now what alien race is this, and what is its home planet and type of government?)

He just chose things that were visually stimulating (Death Stars, Hugh Imperial Starships, Slimy Aliens) It is a sci-fi motif, used to tell a story.

I think Star Trek is more appeling to those who are interested in the technical questions, and Star Wars to those who want a good story.

8. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I think Star Wars is ''sword and sorcery'' with spaceships instead of horses, planets instead of kingdoms and space stations instead of castles.

Yeah, it's fantasy IMO, and I enjoy it on that level.

9. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    Totally and utterly a mythological fantasy IMHO.

You only have see the beginning of each film
    A Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....
    to see that its fantasy. The phrase simply and can only mean that its got nothing to do with our reality.

Besides I take Sci-Fi to present our future, and a scenario which deals with our political, socio-economic and other issues in that future.
    Star Wars doesn't deal with that, it deals with myth elements. Plus the idea thats its in the past, in a totally different place etc etc.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Sci-fi and fantasy are not genres, they are a way to define the reality in which the stories take place.
    I don´t think sci-fi must deal with our future, not at all. It´s scientific fiction, it can take place anywhere in time.

Tukafo: the difference between SF and Fantasy is per definition that the former presents scenarios that are as yet not possible and explains these with scientific or "pseudo-scientific" reasons while Fantasy explains the same scenarios with the supernatural.

I agree. Sci-fi still has to take place in our reality. If it takes place in "fantasy-land", there´s no way you can tell if something is not yet possible for that "reality", because in the fantasy, everything is possible!
    I also believe that there are 2 kinds of fantasy: The kind that explains the "impossible" with the supernatural and the kind that takes place in "fantasy-land".

Weenie: Thanks, I´m quite proud of that translation :D

11. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I would call Star Wars fantasy without a doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.