main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars SE Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MOC Vober Dand, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    At least it was a good run while it lasted.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  2. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Link: http://io9.com/6-ways-the-star-wars-special-editions-actually-improved-1733368444

3. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Disregard post

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I like the addition of the Luke and Biggs on Yavin scene, some of the updates to the Battle of Yavin, seeing Cloud City when Lando is tells people to evacuate, and the 97 ending (more planets and new music, but still Shaw as Anakin's ghost).

5. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    This is not only OT-related since there are some elements from the PT, but it talks about the SE changes:

Link: http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...saga-that-actually-make-sense.html/?a=viewall

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Wha..? Never heard anyone who saw that scene that way.
    As an eight year old, watching the film for the first time, the real meaning of the scene was obvious to me!
    The "no" is not necessary, but only serves as totally meaningless exposition in a scene that was previously executed with perfection.

Anyway, I like a lot of the changes in the different versions. I like the bigger Mos Eisley, and the Jabba scene in ANH. I love the Wampa in TESB, and the larger view of Cloud City. Some changes to Jabba's palace were neat (like Oola's death). The galaxy-wide celebration and the new song at the end of ROTJ is magnificent! I don't mind Hayden either TBH.

7. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Didn't see a thread like this but would be happy to have this merged into one if it exists:

I think the special editions get a lot of undeserved hate. They were my introduction to Star Wars so that's probably why I'm biased towards them but I love that they freshened up the old visuals, added scenes with our faves from the OT, added a bunch of modern touches and brought the OT back to theaters.

Does anyone know if the SEs are the ones played at theaters when they do marathons? I would love to see the 2011 versions on the big screen.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Tanjint likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Tanjint likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Tanjint likes this.
  11. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Awesommme

12. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Honestly none of the SE changes really bother me other than

- Greedo shooting at all in ANH (regardless of how stupid it is... it's just looks AWFUL... the Han head bob looks so fake and un-natural)
    - Jabba being shown in ANH
    - Jedi Rocks in ROTJ
    - Vader Nooo in ROTJ

All the rest of the changes are neutral at worst and many of them are actually quite good

TX-20 and Tanjint like this.
  13. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Yeah it's actually kind of embarrassing how poor the color is on some of the Blu-Ray releases... and honestly some of the restorations just look bad.

Tanjint likes this.
  14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Some Battle of Yavin update comparisons:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    (Couldn't fit these images in first post)

Death Star destruction comparison:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alderaan destruction comparison:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great comparisons - Thanks for posting these. The OT SE's are almost 20 years old at this point (released from January - March 1997), and I think those fans who weren't around when they were released may not remember how much of an improvement these were over the originals re: the prints themselves, in addition to at least some of the improvements/additions.

I also agree that these SE releases paved the way for the DVD's & the later High-def (HD) Blu-rays. Lflm. did a lot of work cleaning up these prints for the SE release - which looked & sounded amazing on the big screen.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  17. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    WOW! Thanks a lot for these cleaned up original version elements!

And something interesting I noticed. So the SE has Yavin IV in the background and the camera pan to the left reveals the approaching Death Star. According to the SE the Death Star could have then shot at Yavin IV before the fighters even arrived. :p

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no yavin was still in the way.

19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Jedi Rocks was always pretty catchy to me but I like Lapti Nek better. I agree with DBPirate . None of them ruin my childhood at all. Sure, there are things that were questionable of course and some that I don't like at all, like the CGI blob walking in front of the speeder when Obi-Wan and Luke pull up to the Stormtroopers (ugh it's annoying but it's only a second of the movie) but there are good SE changes like the x-wings in Ep. 4 and there are bad ones throughout.

20. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Weird that the laser turret towers on the Death Star had balconies.

21. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    thejeditraitor wrote

no yavin was still in the way.

I don't think so, it's a rather straight camera pan from the right to the left that doesn't take a longer and curved flight path, add to this that Yavin IV is much further away than just 1 1/5 Yavin IV diameters. Judging by the speed of the Death Star when it entered the Yavin system it must have moved with a speed of several miles each second (since it has a diameter of 100 miles).

The SE clearly reduced the safe distance between Yavin IV and the approaching Death Star to almost "Zero".

22. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm not hating on the SE editions, I would just like to buy the original releases on blu ray.

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This was eventually retconned to 120 km - which has carried forth into the newcanon with Ultimate Star Wars and Star Wars Absolutely Everything You Need To Know.

24. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord

You do know how I feel about that retcon (where is the research basis?) and prefer to trust the 100+ miles figure the ILM model builders provided which coincidentally matches my own findings.

But regarding the issue at hand, I don't think it really matters whether it's 120 or 160 km in diameter, according to the Special Edition retcon I would have expected one of the fighter pilots en route to Death Star to ask "what was that?" ("The Death Star particle beam that just destroyed our base..."). ;)

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably came from the ROTJ sketchbook showing DS2 as 160km, ROTJ novel saying it was "nearly twice as big" - and 120 km being the maximum that could be justified using those two factors.

Maybe the pan is not 180 degrees but more like 120? Thus enabling the Death Star to still be well behind the Yavin gas giant.