main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars SE - Wide,Full, or Both?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sickofteenage, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sickofteenage

sickofteenage Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2002
    I sure hope that when the OT is released on DVD it is in widescreen format, not just fullscreen.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'd like widescreen only.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Widescreen is the only way to go.

4. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I'm sure that it will be released in both formats. I'm glad too, as I will pick up both. The film fan in me needs the widescreen version. However, since SW is also such a nostalgic thing for me, I'd also want the fullscreen versions, as that is what I used to watch when I was a kid.

5. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Right, I'm hoping for both. But if it only had to be one, I'd choose widescreen. What I need is a big screen.

6. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Who posted that? Anyway, I want widescreen, its the right way to watch things.

7. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    This probably should have been posted here:

Official DVD Thread

Anyways, if Lucas does not release this set in widescreen, I will refuse to buy it and encourage others to do so. A fullscreen only release is a far greater crime than the planned changes.

8. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Unfortunately, i've never seen the OT in widescreen. The WS VHS was impossible to find for some reason. That's why when I see them on DVD in WS it will be like watching them for the first time.

9. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Why don't you try ebay? I'm sure you can find them there. When I was littler I wanted the gold version of the SE until I realized the silver was widescreen. Why is the gold fullscreen? Gold should be widescreen, what's up with that?

10. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I've bought the VHS re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-releases way too many times. I'm not buying them anymore. I'll stick to my VCDs till the DVDs come out, then i'll watch them with my great-grandchildren when they come out. [face_plain]

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Why is the gold fullscreen? Gold should be widescreen, what's up with that?<<

Don't think of it as silver...think of it as "platinum" ::)

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
  13. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Widescreen all the way. But for the average consumer they also have to release the fullscreen version also. I can never believe how many people want fullscreen because they don't like the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

14. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    When (...if... :( ) they come out, I'll buy widescreen and fullscreen. Widescreen obviously because it's the best way, and fullscreen because as it's already been said: I've been watching fullscreen all this time. It'd be weird owning one and not the other.

Lucas will probably release both, or just widescreen like TPM DVD (up until recently). But I'm not worrying, Lucas seems to get the general concept that he has more diehard that want wide than casual ones.

-Bjork.

15. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    [color=336699]Definetly Widescreen. But eh...by the time Lucas releases the OT on DvD everybody will have Widescreen TVs, so he might not release the FullScreen Version. I would probably buy both though, just for the sake of being the completist that I am
    8-}

~ICeBReaKeR[/color]
    He has never been cooler...

16. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    Widescreen but I would buy Fullscreen to take it over for family to watch and to borrow out to people I dont mind borrowing my DVD's but Star Wars are like my 6 children

17. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Yup, release both versions to give people a choice, but I'll prefer the widescreen versions.

18. Darth_Shade

Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    I think both because I'll watch it on wide screen because I never have before but,if other people are watching it with me they will probably want to watch full screen that and I'm a completest with Star Wars.

19. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    I think that it should be released in widescreen only. People shouldn't be punished by only seeing half the movie.

20. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Widescreen is the way to go! :)

21. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    WIDESCREEN is the best way to watch a movie...especially my favorite movies (Star Wars saga)

I hate it when DVDs come in only full-screen. When I used to work at Suncoast over the holidays, I wanted to Force-choke every fool that wanted to return movies because of "the black bars" on their screen!!!!

I'll watch SE, when it's on TV, but it just not as good as getting the entire picture. GL is a visual-oriented director; and he utilizes the entire screen (unlike many of today's new "hot" directors.

22. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I'm close to a point where I almost flat out refuse to watch full screen Star Wars.

23. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'd buy the widescreen versions.

However, if Lucas changes his mind, and releases both the originals and Special Editions, and releases both in widescreen and full screen, there will be four different versions of the OT out there. I can hear the complaints about Lucas trying to milk money out of the fans already. Also, the more versions that are released, the harder it is to find the exact version that you want.

24. jedibendubruce

jedibendubruce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2002
    I agree with you Dark Helmet. I will only watch widescreen the way GL meant for the film to be screened.

25. Krede

Krede Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Life is too short for cropped fullscreen movies. You're missing 30% of the image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.