main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Simplicity patterns being taken off the shelves?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Popping into the dress fabric store tomorrow to grab an extra pattern if I can. I have the ones I need, but spares never go astray.. ;)

2. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Does anyone know if the McCalls Padme nightgown w/ pearl pattern is being pulled too? I saw someone selling one on ebay for 50 pounds (94 US$) - that seems really crazy to me!

3. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    It's still listed in their online pattern catalog, I just looked.

4. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I was at my usual JoAnn's a couple of nights ago picking up gray bias tape for my Slave Leia boots and decided to have a peek at the pattern drawers. Sure enough, not only are the patterns gone, but the numbered dividers as well. So for this one store in Milwaukee, they are certainly gone. I'm going to check the other stores in the suburbs and the local Hancock as well, but we'll see if I'm fast enough. Meanwhile, I have about 2-3 copies of each (including the Padme Battle Outfit before it was discontinued) and have determined that I will spend a weekend transferring those patterns to heavy paper or interfacing, all sizes, just in case. Too bad this has started to happen--even with the obvious errors and detractions from the real costumes, they were still great for the average sewer and saved some time for the expert seamstress.

Meanwhile, if your store runs out or pulls them, I recommend checking Ebay--they are all over the place there and as there are so many copies in circulation, I'm sure if you need it, you'll be able to get it.

5. Queen-of-Naboo

Queen-of-Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2006
    I just bought that pattern off of ebay for only $4.99 ($6.47 plus shipping) and all the others seemed to be around that same price.

~Tally

6. skywalkerseamstress

skywalkerseamstress Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2005
    "I almost wonder, if the models were not so intentionally dressed as characters from Star Wars and the costumes displayed on the pattern covers so close in color to the real things - if then simplicity would be then be able to get away with the actual pattern designs. In other words, it might be not be enough to deviate slightly from the construction of the real costume. The fact that the models are dressed up like Star Wars characters could be enough for LFL to have an issue. Bummer. That really takes the fun out of Halloween for a lot of people."

I agree with you kay_dee, but what I have seen working in Hancock Fabrics, is that people can't see beyond the pattern envelope! So I think Simplicity feels that if they can't get across what their pattern is "supposed to be", then they won't sell it, because very few people who come in there looking for Halloween patterns, aren't looking for the "body" of the outfit they want to make, they want something that "looks" like it!
    One time I had a woman making a pirate costume and the picture on the pattern had cream lace, but we didn't have any that "matched" the pattern, so I suggested black lace (since she was going with gold fabric, black would look better) and she stood there and squinted at the pattern and said, "I just can't see it in black, if they used cream, I need to use cream, that way it will look right", I was like omg! can't you think outside of the box?! maybe out of the year and 1/2 I have worked there have been maybe 2 people who have come in there as creative as us!

7. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh, I know that :) My comment was kind of piggy backed on the comment someone else made about 'if a pattern is different in 3-5 ways' then it is OK to sell it because it is not an actual flat out copy of a design. So, I was making the point that even if the patterns do differ in construction from the real screen used garments, the issue LFL probably has (if they do have a problem with them) is that the models are clearly dressed to represent Star Wars characters and they probably didn't get permission for it. It is too bad, since it will discourage a lot of average costumers from dressing as Star Wars characters if they can not easily identify the patterns. Maybe something good will come of this, like officially liscensed SW patterns like they had back in the 70s :)

8. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Since the only pattern I am really familiar with is the ANH Leia costume, all comments will apply only to that costume. While the Simplicty pattern is not accurate, it is A LOT better than the old officially liscensed patterns. It is also MUCH, MUCH better than the officially liscensed costumes that are out there. Maybe LucasFilm thinks that people might realized that the pattern is better and not spend too much money for the official product?

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Got the Jedi Robes Pattern and the ANH Leia pattern, last the store had. WoOT!!

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Um, I don't think there is a current officially liscensed Princess Leia costume (or pattern) out there. But yeah, the old Butterick (?) patterns were not all that accurate either. I don't think the reason for getting rid of the current patterns would be because the pattern was better than a discontinued pattern from the 70s. And I'm only wishing that if LFL is putting pressure on Simplicity to destroy the patterns, that in turn maybe they will reach an agreement to do liscensed versions in the future? Just wishing that all won't have to be lost. In the end I really think destroying the Simplicity patterns has to do with them not being liscensed as offical Star Wars costumes. Nothing more or less. Simplicity might even be doing this on their own to avoid imperial entanglements ;) LOL!

11. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Rubies does produce an adult Princess Leia ANH costume http://www.rubies.com/landingpage.cfm?ItemNumber=15244 . As is always the case with Rubies, the photo looks MUCH better than the real thing. [face_frustrated]
    [image=http://images.rubiesworldwide.com/images/xl/15244xl.jpg]

I agree with you, Kay_Dee, it would be nice to see LucasFilm approach a company like Simplicity to make licensed costume patterns. Even with the 5 differences (or whatever that number was) the patterns produced were a great starting point for a lot of people. Not everyone is lucky enough to know about the amazing resource these boards are.

I'll admit to being bitter about the lack of quality licensed products in the costume lines from LucasFilm. That might make me read a lot more into this than there really is. ;)

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    LOL! Rubies costume is so - rubies that I totally forgot about it!

13. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL! Rubies produced Halloween Costume mah so "lower" pricetag and economical comes before quality. Just like a shop here tat started producing not only Cosplay Costumes but also SW Costumes; the fabrics tend to be cheapo (mostly Cotton Drill) and they even went to the extend to make some parts too fancy (Quilting "sponge" in the Tabbard and Obi? :eek: )

14. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    [/quote]
    Since the only pattern I am really familiar with is the ANH Leia costume, all comments will apply only to that costume. While the Simplicty pattern is not accurate, it is A LOT better than the old officially liscensed patterns. It is also MUCH, MUCH better than the officially liscensed costumes that are out there. Maybe LucasFilm thinks that people might realized that the pattern is better and not spend too much money for the official product? [/quote]

I agree. I bought my second Jedi/robe pattern a week ago before I read this because mine was getting worn. Also, I bought original Leia some time ago just to have in case.
    The robe pattern, while having to be modified, really helped in the layout! But the tunic was perfect!

15. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Simplicity was licenced to do the Wizard of Oz costumes, so the patterns are pretty decent (and actually called Wizard of Oz patterns). It would be nice if LFL licenced them to do Star Wars ones. It's kinda funny anyway, since the Peacock gown was in all the advertising for ROTS. Simplicity obviously latched on to that one as being a major costume because of it - and with the costume being cut from the movie, I wonder how well that pattern sold anyway. How many casual Star Wars fans would even recognize it?

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, but the peacock was on the Leia pattern. I bet the Leia is what sold it. Soooo many people receognize and want to be Leia. Plus, for people who are newer to sewing and want to make something for Halloween it is easier.

17. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    That's true! But I do find it interesting that they chose the Peacock costume, out of all the ones for Ep. III! :)

18. Natalie1988

Natalie1988 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    But this Week-End , i`m going to Wal-mart and they have all patterns of Star Wars Simplicity ....

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if you want them then you should probably go ahead and buy them there this weekend. :)

I'm surprised LFL doesn't seize the opportunity of licensing patterns through Simplicity, like the Wizard of Oz franchise has. LFL certainly is aware of the large costuming community and one would think it could be very profitable for them to share in the cut of revenue that nicely done patterns would generate.

20. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Well, it would be nice to have good patterns. BUT...we don't know anything about the details of the licensing agreement between LFL and Rubies. It could very well exclude developing anything with the pattern companies.

21. Jole

Jole Jedi Master star 3

Dec 12, 1998
    The Hobby Lobby near me had the Leia Robe and the Jedi costume for $1.99. So I got them both. They were also still pictured in the Simplicity Halloween catalog that was sitting out.

22. jadedknights

jadedknights Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2002
    My Wal-Mart Simplicity books have the SW pattern page cut out of the book. No patterns either. I asked and was told that they were forced to remove them. you'd think they'd be there until after halloween, but ???

Jen

23. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    They are all pulled at the fabric store I work at too. It is really sad, because I kept intending to buy the pattern but never got around to do it. :(

24. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    That's interesting. So I guess my friend's store is not the only one being forced to remove them.. Hmm.

25. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I was at 2 of my Joann stores and they were pulled. The books are still out but nothing in the drawers. I'm glad I bought some 2 wks ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.