main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Simplicity patterns being taken off the shelves?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I thoroughly inspected the pattern packet and I find it quite odd that LFL doesn't have some form of copyright on it, there's no SW logo even, not in the book or on the packet.

Are these actually legal?

2. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Probably not since the product line was pulled at the height of costuming season.

3. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    They are "legal" because they have been changed enough to make them different. But it would be a long and costly trial and Simplicity may not see it as worth the trouble or expense. They could reissue the patterns with a new look and another change or two and probably get away with it as they did the first one they did whaich is still on the market.

4. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    This probably belongs in the black corset piece thread. I'll cut and paste it over there, andput my answer there too :D

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    That's sithspawn, anyone with half a brain associates them as SW.

6. JediKnightGareth

JediKnightGareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    I live in the southern US (Mississippi) I have scoured all the sewing supply stores and every Wal-Mart. Noone down here has heard anything about the patterns being pulled. In fact my favorite supply store just got a whole new shipmant of them. (I bought two just incase.)

7. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Then you're extremely lucky. They are gone from where I live.

8. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    A Little Hope for us in case the Simplicity SW Patterns is impossible to find anywhere:

I just heard from the pattern designer, she checked and said it's true.

The similar pattern by McCall's was also pulled.

However, as to only getting them via ebay, she also said:
    " I am told you can request way out of print patterns. They store everything in the computer now. Once enough requests have come in "they" will print a special run. The info is supposed to be on the website. But if you can't find it email or call the customer help people. So maybe if enough people want a copy of the Jedi robe you could get it printed."

-Judy

Over here in Singapore, I still see the 3 Simplicity "SW" Patterns (Amidala & Leia, Jedi & Utapau, Kids' Costume) in the pattern book tho' didn't ask the counter if they got it in Stock (I already got my Amidala & Leia Pattern thanks to Maggie [:D] and Simplicity isn't on sale yet plus I'm trying to cut back on my spending these days :p )

The McCall's Padme "Steel Blue" Nightgown Pattern is also still in the book but I already got mine so not in a hurry to get more.

Anyway, after reading the Spotlight Sewing Book, I learned my lesson about using Commercial Patterns and now try to trace them out on Tracing or Brown paper for pieces that have multiple sizes on them instead of cutting them out. ;) That way, I can reuse it again and again for different sizes.

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I grabbed all those patterns when I first read this thread in small and large sizes....I actually cut all my patterns to the largest size and then work them from there.....using tracing paper etc. Spotlight here in Australia still had them, so if you ask, you never know what you can get.

10. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Our FF is planning on making Muslin copies of our un-cut patterns so we can pass them around the group without worry.

11. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Another way to do that is to use plain interfacing (not the iron-on kind). It's see through enough to trace easily but more durable than paper. It's not as bulky as muslin.

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Bad new from Singapore's Spotlight.

I saw their June issue of Simplicity Pattern Catalog and the pages showing the new/ROTS SW patterns had been removed. A check in their drawer had shown that the current stock had either been sold out or recycled to wrap Fragile Items. :_| (Ya, Singapore Spotlight recycle the pattern once it get removed from the catalog)

Any news from Australia, New Zealand or other countries?

13. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Still in the current catalogues here in Australia (Sth Australia) but the catalogues haven't been updated as yet, soon as they do I will let you know.

14. DarthVaderNut7

DarthVaderNut7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2006
    Greetings....

I was reading your thread and I can tell you here in the US in Illinois where I live the Star Wars patterns have been pulled. I was lucky I got the one that I did since they now no longer make the availible here. IF you really want one you can get it on Ebay if you must and hope it's not cut!

I got a pattern off Ebay for my youngest of the Wizard of Oz and it is now discontinued and has been re done in a newer style and I hate it. Glinda the Good witches costume is really bad and not even like it is in the movie.:(

DarthVaderNut7

15. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    so far, wal-marts around here still have the jedi tunic tabbards, and dickie and sash patterns in stock.

16. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
  17. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    May be Ebay ....

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I think it's still available in Singapore the last time I checked the book. Anyhow, when I got the money to burn and the patterns goes on sale, will get a spare one from Spotlight here.

19. JediMaraJadeSkyMaul

JediMaraJadeSkyMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2007
    I'm in Texas, and they're all gone here! You are lucky!

Does anybody have an extra Padme/Aayla and or Leia/Amidala pattern that they'd sell me, or that they could send me a copy of?? My sister wants the white Padme one and I wanna do Aayla, and now it doesnt look like we can!! So if anybody could do that, I would love you forever!! [:D][face_love]

20. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Does anyone have the 4426 Simplicity Pattern? I lost the package and need a scan of the front and back for material, etc.

THanks,

Cathy

21. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I have the adult versions. Have you gotten what you needed?
    Why don't you be more specific in what you need. Maybe you can get some good detailed advice.

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    She lost the envelope that is used to store the patterns so I guess want a scan of it so that she can create a new one and also get an idea how much cloths to get for the costume.

This is the pattern if I read correctly:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Sith_Haldir/Patterns/Simplicity_4426-1.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Sith_Haldir/Patterns/Simplicity_4426.gif]

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Ugh! I think McCalls Padme Ep3 'sleepless knights' is gone from Singapore's Spotlight now. Last week when I check out the Catalog, I can't seems to locate it. :oops:

Guess the 1 I have is now Preciousssss

Btw, I notice that some people are trying to scrap off us for the Simplicity Pattern on eBay. I saw the "Guys" one going for bloody ridiculous price there. [face_frustrated]

24. Jacen_Solo14

Jacen_Solo14 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2005
    I just got through searching all the simplicity catalogues at my walmart(I live in Alabama), and couldn't find one jedi pattern:mad:
    Help, somebody?

25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Over here in Singapore, the other "Jedi" pattern is still available which is almost the same design as the "really SW one":

[image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/5840/5840.jpg] [image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/5840/5840fb.gif]
    Simplicity 5840

I had used this pattern before and I think you might need to make the size that is smaller than recommended by the envalope. When I did mine, somehow the part where the Shoulder Opening meet the Sleeves ended up at my elbow. :eek:

Personally, I prefer to use the Kimono/Karate Gi Pattern like the McCall's one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.