main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Star Wars Squadrons - Indie Space Combat Simulator

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by starwarssquadrons, Mar 19, 2013.

1. starwarssquadrons

starwarssquadrons Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2013
    Hello everyone.

I am developing a star wars space combat simulator (in the spirit of x-wing/tie fighter). I know the graphics are bad, but new models are being worked on at the moment.

Here is the latest video:

For more information, please visit:
    www.starwarssquadrons.com

Life likes this.
  2. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Wow i like the combat! The models could need some more work and textures, but you already pointed that out. Looks good! :)
    What engine/program is this being made in?

3. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    The game is being made in Unity3D.

The goal is to make the combat pretty much as the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games, with just slight improvements such as two player co-op with YT-1300 and the likes.

On a long term, we would also implement multi-player with player controlled squadrons and social features.

4. hunter77

Sep 8, 2012
    Thanks, looking forward to this. And hope you want run into any trouble with lucasarts or Disney.

5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Wow. Keep up the effort! Watching you take off from the bay geeked me out. I love little things like that.

6. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    If you can make the screen on the console inside the x-wing look like it does in the movies displaying basic data about the tie fighter you are chasing then i will be one happy guy
    See pic below for what i mean
    [​IMG]

Sent via my astromech droid

7. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Thefinalhack
    The current graphics are just placeholders. The graphics is being completely redone. We are going to have 3D cockpits and the targeting computer would display something like this:
    [​IMG]

8. Thefinalhack

Mar 11, 2013
    Good, very good. I personally think that having a fully animated console will add major authenticity to the feel of been inside an x-wing

9. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    I made it possible to fly a TIE Fighter when siding with the Empire.

The TIE is made by Arkaan but the rest of the graphics are still place holder graphics:

hunter77 likes this.
  10. hunter77

Sep 8, 2012
    Looking good :)
    Can't wait to see the finished look, with textures and everything :)

11. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    Yeah, I am also looking forward to get some nice looking models into the game. Currently there are 3 guys working on it, one contributor which I am glad jumped on the project (Arkaan) and two freelancers I am paying a smaller sum to make some models.
    I hope to get some of the better models this weekend, so just maybe I will post another video soon.

12. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    I got some new TIE and Rebel fighters

New capital ships are on their way as well.

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is it possible to play flight sim games like X-wing Alliance or Il-2 Sturmovik with a gamepad in place of a joystick?

14. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    Here is a link for you:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thread hijacking

15. Thefinalhack

Mar 11, 2013
    If you don't mind i would like to make a suggestion:
    I feel even if this game comes out really well in terms of design it would not guarantee itself popularity on the pc however there is a new console been released know as the ouya which runs android and i know for a fact as a unity user myself that it is possible to build ouya games in unity easily been a new download only console With an absence of star wars games you would be doing yourself a big favour as thousands of people with brand new ouyas will be looking for something to play
    Note: if you do choose to port your game all you have to do is change the controls and they is an ouyasdk.unitypackage that will make that dead easy
    (check this link for info and stuff https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/unity)

16. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    Thefinalhack

I am making the game in Unity, which will have support for releasing the game on Ouya, however not having a proper Star Wars license may prevent me from releasing the game there.
    But with Ouya and the Oculus Rift (3D glasses) would be a pretty awesome combination.

17. Thefinalhack

Mar 11, 2013
    As far as i understand you can as long as its non profit. But i feel you should consider it as there will be a large star wars fan base with ouyas looking for non existent star wars games on the ouya market.

18. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Looks pretty neat! I'll have to keep an eye on the project.

19. SithLordPat

SithLordPat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    This is too sweet! If you need any social network help, I'd love to assist you guys. Do you have a Facebook or Twitter to follow?

20. Thefinalhack

Mar 11, 2013
    If you want it can provide you with a mega realistic venator (republic) star destroyer model for free here is a screenshot of it in a blender windows:
    [​IMG]

JStepp likes this.
  21. rincewind86

rincewind86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2013
    great idea!..finally someone who wants to grab the fallen torch of "Xwing vs Tiefighter" and reignites it. iam dabbeling with 3D, too...but i am way behind creating my own "good looking" ships and stuff. (any my polycount is much, much to high for any real use in any game)
    anyways..keep it up guys...in the meantime i will play a bit "xwing"...your screenshoots made me wanna play it now ^^

22. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    I just created a facebook page here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Wars-Squadrons/432094530223026?fref=ts

And twitter:
    @swsquadrons

23. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    Wow, that ship looks amazing, I would love putting it into the game, how do you want to send it?

24. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    Here is an update of the progress, bombers can now launch from capital ships to make bombing runs against the opponent capital ship:

25. starwarssquadrons

Mar 19, 2013
    I actually managed to make the capital ship launch waves of 36 (or whatever amount you want) in squadron size of 3 (I might tweak this):
    If you ask me it looks kind of awesome,

Next step is to make the Mon Calamri launch Y-Wings to bomb the Star Destroyer and make sure the damage output is equal to make a balanced scenario.

After that I will work on the TIE Fighters/X-Wing to protect the bombers against the TIE-Interceptors/A-Wings.

Also, if anyone is intersted, I have uploaded the GDD here (read this if you are intersted in details about the game):
    http://www.starwarssquadrons.com/upload/StarWarsSquadrons-GameDesignDocument.pdf