main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Star Wars" Style Cinematography-Which Fanfilm Comes the Closest?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by skyy38, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    And by cinematography,I mean the kind of stuff that has *people* in it,not CG.
    I was watching "Star Wars" the other day and I never fail to marvel at DP Gilbert Taylors ultra tasteful cinematography.Kinda makes me wonder with all of the apparent skill on display here,why I don't see more "Star Wars" style cine?

Over to you...

2. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Intriguing thread?

I think the most important thing to think about with Gilbert Taylor is the background of filmmaking he came from (check out the years he worked and the films he did). Today finding good cinematography, meaning what used to be considered good versus what is considered good now, is sort of an anachronism. Today?s technology lends itself to far more complex camera moves, digital camera placing via CG, computer controlled cameras, etc etc. In the fanfilm making world, the community as a whole seems to strive more for the action oriented shot, where as epic camera techniques such as those used in older films, are less sought after. I would certainly encourage others to go after the older techniques and methods, shots, etc ? or to at least learn about them, but with the influx of films like The Matrix and the newer style cinematography of David Tattersall (DP on the new SW films) ? it?s about what the audience wants to see, and much of the fanfilm community wants to emulate what they?re friends get excited about (not to say that?s the driving reason for many fanfilms being shot the way they are, but one of the reasons perhaps).

From a more literal approach - I?m stating the obvious here, and of course there?s arguments to the contrary? Much of the community is into this as strictly a hobby. One could (and would, I?m sure) argue that this doesn?t mean people here aren?t capable of or don?t seek the more epic photography of A New Hope that was under the eye of Mr.Taylor (the next two SW films were DP?d by Peter Suschitzky and Alan Hume, respectively). It is, however, in some cases more difficult to get the type of shots seen there. Consider the filming of Tatooine and even the Death Star interiors? while all of the community here has shown a capacity for creativity, working with good locations and gaining control of your shooting environment (assuming its not all in the back yard or in the garage) can be quite a task (but not an impossible one). Lack of set pieces extending around the corner and thus the need for tighter shots also lends to different shooting style, and in many cases ? with lack of schooling or personal study on shot composition, some people just don?t know the impact of good shot composition or how to set it up (or, perhaps they?re friends won?t stay focused enough for it to happen).

That?s just my .02 ? I?m all for more traditional style cinematography (IE Lawrence of Arabia, etc) ? I?m just talking and didn?t take much time to reconsider these words? hopefully some of it makes sense and/or is relavent.

~DK~

3. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm really not a big fan of the star wars style cinematography and it's definitely not something I'm striving toward in my fanfilm...so *shrug*

4. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    Me neither. I'm not a fan of Star Wars Cinematography. I'll probably only use it for my fan film, but aside from that, the rest of my films I'm going to stay far away from that. But even in my fan film I'm doing some 'Un-starwarsy cinematography things'. It just doesn't appeal to me. I don't know why, but it just seems almost too basic of a style.

Now Punch Drunk Love and The Limey, those cinematography styles appeal to me (and OF COURSE the editing style in The Limey).

5. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    whether we are fans of it or not, he's asking which fanfilms[\b] comes close to a starwars style cinematography.

i would have to say duality for one, and also my movie!!lol[\b]

Many can not come to mind right now!

~Rory

6. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Knightquest so far, minus the CG sequences

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Knightquest so far, minus the CG sequences

In what way? KnightQuest had an extensive amount of slow motion, big sweeping cameramoves and extreme close-ups - all of which are more or less missing in the Star Wars movies.

8. Mushiman

Mushiman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    Mine.

:)

9. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    im going to say Broken Allegiance to this one. Nick Hallam did an excellent job of remaining true to what makes a Star Wars film great, without being to derivative or unoriginal. Duality runs a close second for me, with Lords Of The Sith coming at third place.

10. Goldleader23

Goldleader23 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2003
    I'd say A Question of Faith. I haven't watched Broken Allegience for a while, though...

11. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    I'd say Broken Allegience. Except for right at the end, after the credits, showing that Corbain Thor is still alive. Although my favorite part, cinematic wise, it's not done in a star wars kind of way. At least I think it isn't.

12. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Certainly what we've seen of Tydirium takes the cake, but it's not complete so I think it's kind of disqualified.

~Neszis~

13. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    something thats very un-star wars in the tydirium trailer was the zoom through space into the shuttle and eye of the commander guy. You would never see that in a star wars film.

Its a cool shot though, you have to admit.

14. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I beg to differ. AOTC "popularized" obvious digital zooms. However, it is distinctly different from the lame AOTC type zoom. That's why it's not directed by George Lucas, it's directed by Marcus Willer and the team. Otherwise, I'd say that it comes pretty darn close overall.

~Neszis~

15. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    its sufficiently different, in Tydirium, the camera is actually physically flying through that space, whereas in AOTC it was a 'zoom' as if using a zoom lense (I thought that should have been left out entirely).

So in conclusion, I believe that the 'flying through space rapidly' shot wouldn't appear in a SW film. There are better ways to show an entire space battle without using that technique, which, in my opinion, takes the viewer out of that feeling of being there.

That said, the shot in Tydirium is obviously cool.

16. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I agree with Antilles on this one,

also in Tydirium, there is a dolly shot in the cockpit of the shuttle with is very unstarwarsy...

There were 2 shots that were mentioned before in Knightquest which were brought up, the close up of Dannik and I have no idea what he meant by slow action, if he was talking about the choreography of the fight sequences, ever see a film called A New Hope?

17. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    "Captain Gorton's Daring Escape" was truly awesome.

You just had to see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.