main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics STAR WARS TAG & BINK WERE HERE #1

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TiniTinyTony , May 3, 2018.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    They're the most important Star Wars characters you never knew existed - until now! Tag Greenley and Bink Otauna were on Leia's ship carrying the Death Star plans - when Darth Vader changed their lives forever! But as their true roles in this epic saga are revealed, whose side are Tag and Bink on, anyway? The hapless duo's fateful adventures will take them all the way from Tatooine to Cloud City to Endor - and bring them face-to-face with Lando Calrissian, Boba Fett and more! But every great tale has a prequel - so what were Tag and Bink up to when the Clone Wars began? Prepare to discover their uncanny origin! We have a bad feeling about this!

Collecting STAR WARS: TAG & BINK ARE DEAD #1-2, STAR WARS: TAG & BINK II #1-2 and material from STAR WARS TALES #12.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR180947

I didn't realize this, but this is all material that's been released before, and if I'm not mistaken, I don't think it's canon and it falls under the Legends banner which makes me a little sad as I thought anything new being released was going to be considered canon.

Anyone plan on getting this or skipping it? If you've already read the issues that it collects, do you recommend it?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I've read all of them (maybe not the Clone Wars one) and I liked them. Some bits are pretty silly but on the whole they are a giggle.

3. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Just like the reprinting of Dark Horse material this issue is published with the Legends banner. No conflict with canon/Legends and this release.

I am skipping it as I have everything already.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

spicer likes this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Is there anything new that was not in the old trade paperback collection??

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That one Tag & Bink tale from Star Wars Tales 12 - which is actually "a separate Tag & Bink continuity" from the other stories - since in that tale, they never get on the Sail Barge in the first place - they get dropped in the Sarlacc by Bob Fett a few days before, and escape it alongside Boba, after Boba Fett falls in himself.

It's not in the original Tag & Bink Were Here paperback, or in the Star Wars Omnibus: Wild Space: 2 book.

It's technically not new - but it's a Tag & Bink story that generally isn't found in other compilations, because of its Star Wars Tales origin.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I found my original edition of this (which you'd consider a miracle if you saw all the books I have) so unless there is something new I won't be getting it again.

7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, I didn't realize this went back to the Dark Horse days, which is extremely evident when they show the Dark Horse logo in lights in the shadow of the Death Star. It also makes sense after reading most of it why it's consider Legends.

Star Wars: Tag & Bink Are Dead #1 - "Episode IV.1: Tag and Bink are Dead"
    The opening crawl is very meta talking about Episode II being months away, so it appears this was released sometime in late 2001, early 2002.
    Tag and Bink are Rebel officers on the Tantive IV. They dress as stormtroopers and end up on the Death Star. Their adventures coincide with the main adventure in a clever way. They appear to be the two gunners with Darth Vader at the final battle and somehow survive.

Star Wars: Tag & Bink Are Dead #2 - "Episode IV.: Tag and Bink Live"
    Again, we get another meta opening crawl and a meta moment where the writer draws himself in to explain a plot twist.
    It it revealed that Tag & Bink weren't the gunners after all; they took a different route and actually steal the shuttle Tydirium. They end up back on Yavin after everyone is gone, run into Boba Fett, and then head to Cloud City before our heroes get there. Chaos erupts on Cloud City like in the movie, and they escape. They give the shuttle to Mon Montha and then Boba Fett's ship shows up and it ends.

Next we get the Star Wars: Tag & Bink Were Here TPB (2006) cover art.

Star Wars: Tag & Bink II #1 - "Episode VI.1: The Return of Tag and Bink -- Special Edition"
    The opening crawl mentions that the writers were given an opportunity to write a third part of their adventure in Star Wars Tales #12, but due to deadlines, had to submit what they had and they weren't pleased with it, so this story is an attempt to fix their "grievous" wrong.
    The story is intertwined, you guessed it, with Return of the Jedi. It start before the events of Jedi with Tag & Bink partnering with Lando to get information from Boba Fett on the location of Han. Tag ends up dressed as Boba and Bink as the guy who shoots Luke in the hand on Jabba's sail barge. Boba Fett's ex-girlfriend Kannen saves them. She puts them in contact with Manny Both-hanz. Then they end up on the Death Star disguised as the Emperor's Royal Guards. They end up blowing up with the Death Star and end up Force Ghosts

Star Wars: Tag & Bink II #2 - "Tag and Bink Episode I: "Revenge of the Clone Menace
    We get the prequel backstory of Tag and Bink being told to Anakin by Palpatine during the Darth Plagueis the Wise story where they were identified as Jedi and end up being trained by Yoda and intertwining with the events of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. They survive the purge as they were friends with Anakin, and end up going to Tatooine in the end, where they eventually join the Rebellion and well, you know the rest now.

Star Wars Tales #12 - "The Revenge of Tag & Bink"
    Starts off very similar to the special edition, except they never make it on the sail barge. They end up in the Sarlacc Pit, tied to a long stick that ends up getting caught. Later on, others end up falling in as well as Boba Fett, they grab his jet pack and somehow save themselves and Boba. The issue ends there.

I don't own Star Wars: Tag & Bink Were Here TPB (2006), but they appear to be the same number of pages, so I don't think this includes anything that the 2006 Trade doesn't, so if you already own it, you don't need to buy it again.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    TTT, they're great, fun stories - nothing more than that but really well done.

spicer likes this.
  9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    These guys were the oddest and goofiest bunch of characters and I’m looking forward to seeing what role they play in solo

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    One of the funniest Star Wars comics for sure. But as others have posted, it's not within the Legends continuity. It's non-canon to everything except itself (maybe).

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    And obviously the Fett Club comic with Kannen Doom also in it.

Jedi Ben and spicer like this.
  12. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Do "Force Fiction" and "A Death Star is Born" have any connections beyond creators?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Thank you! I have the Tag and Bink Were Here trade but the mention in the solicits of "materiel from Star Wars Tales" sounded unfamiliar so I honestly might pick it up just to have it all collected together.

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Does the fact that Tag and Bink are in Solo mean that new canon is now officially a parody of the real Star Wars Legends?:p

15. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I want Kannen brought into canon...

[​IMG]

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Now it all makes sense. I forgot Ron Howard tweeted a picture of them on Oct 14, 2017. My excuse for not remembering was (1) I got married that day and (2) I had no idea what his caption and subsequent tweets meant until now, after reading the series.

17. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    ;)
    Then this would make sense without an american accent.(Dume and Doom don't sound the same).
    [​IMG]

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Well there is some time between the end of the comic when Caleb Dume became Kanan Jarrus and the beginning of New Dawn, right? Maybe Kanan met Kannen, partnered with Kasmir and went to Kaller and Kamino.

AV-6R7 and Daneira like this.
  19. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Picked up a copy of the Marvel edition at my local comic book store today. It was a really fun read, and all of the Disney-Pixar cameos seem really prescient now.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I have the Dark Horse edition, don't see a need to re-buy especially as its not as high quality binding.

(Unlike the classic Marvel hardcovers which were worth a re-purchase for quality of print for example)

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    was this not released yet or did it come out already, never got it at my list at my shope. I was actually willing to buy it again but apparently the Force willed it not to be so, probably for the best.

23. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I bought it only because of the few added pages of the alternate storyline...but I am rolling in loose change.