main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Star Wars: Talk of the Town

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Empyre, Jan 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluJediLapis

BluJediLapis Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2000
    Yeah, NW Community Hospital is RIGHT down my street, in Arlington Heights. Lotsa ambulences roar down and stuff.

anyway, a note on the move 'Twister' because it was mentioned, i think that is the dumbest movie, because it is soo not researched well! Jeez, cornfields in Oklahoma. I laughed my head off the first time i saw it.

Anyway, there's my .005 cents.

Lapis
    "Do not remove bandanna! Sign of Protest!"

2. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Funny things happened a few minutes ago. I was flipping channels and found "In Living Color" on FX. They were doing some Star Wars/Star Tres parody, and right when I turned on that channel, Fire Marshall Bill said something to the effect, "Just dreaming that Darth Vader was your father? That's understandable enough to be suicidal!"
    It was funny, and I can't believe I turned it on at that apecific time. Funny. I LOVE that show!

3. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey, Star Wars: ANH is on tomorrow on WGN at 11:30! Woo, hoo!

4. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    On Comedy Central last night there was a reference on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. They had a news item about the NASA landing on the Eros asteroid. They were showing a video simulation of what NASA expected the landing to look like, and in the middle of it they cut to a shot of the Millenium Falcon shooting out of the mouth of the space worm in the asteroid from ESB.

5. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    Mention of NASA reminded me of an old SW reference, I think I saw it in a National Geographic =years= ago... it was in an article about the Voyager 2 (1? something else?) fly-by of Jupiter and its moons. They showed a picture of one of the Galilean moons, either Callisto or Ganymede, I'm not sure... and, right next to it, a shot of the Death Star. You see, the moon had a huge crater in it, just where the superlaser dish is on the Death Star....

I remember thinking that was super cool. Oh, and the caption read "That's no space station....", I believe.

Thom

6. Empyre

Empyre Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2000
    Actually, the moon is Thebe. The crater is called Zethus. You can veiw an image of it at http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/files/images/hi-res/pia02530.tif Look at the second image down. This is the best picture I could find.

7. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Between Todd and Phil we shall never lack for important trivial information.
    [face_mischief]

8. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    Really? I could've sworn it was one of the four Galilean moons, but then it was years ago. :)

Thom

9. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    OK, I am sure that everyone has seen this, but last night just as I was turning things off for the evening, I caught part of a South Park episode I had never seen that was chock FULL of SW stuff. I can't WAIT to see the whole episode. Thank goodness you can download the SP's from the internet. It seems that I don't watch NEARLY enough tv, if I missed that. Oh, well.

10. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Not that this is going to come as a big surprise to any Kevin Smith fan, but the recently released Clerks Animated Series DVD packed to the gills with SW references. Just a few here: in one episode, they get chastised for not having any black characters, so they introduce "Lando," who porceeds to do pretty much nothing except pop up in the background once in a while. Another time, the two clerks get locked in the store's freezer and comment "it's cold as Hoth in here." When Jay and Silent Bob show up, Jay mentions that if they had a lightsaber, they could cut open Silent Bob and sleep in him for warmth.

Highbrow humor, all the way.

-Le Penguin
    "I had that dream again."

11. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I like the fact that Jay doesn't realize that if he had a lightsaber, he could cut his way out of the freezer.

I caught the two episodes that ABC aired. I also saw the last episode, with nearly everything happening hilariously off-camera, when Kevin Smith showed it at last year's Wizard World.

Phil

12. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Our good friend Stardreamer pointed this out and I said he should post it, but he didn't do so quickly enough, so I have taken the liberty:
    ----------------------------
    I was reading the paper at work when a quote from Colin Powell caught my eye.
    "Frustration leads to anger, and anger leads to violence."

So when, exactly, did Yoda become a Washington DC speechwriter, anyway?

I'm waiting to see if any cartoonists run with this....
    ----------------------------
    While it seems good to me that the Light Side of the Force is influencing policy makers, it's scary to think how much power that puts in Lucas' hands. Muahahahaha

13. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    If you were listening to WGN radio last night you might have heard the breaking news story, the Ep II title was announced. Of course this led to the reporter having to explain to the radio host, John Williams, why it's Ep II but the fifth movie. Another highlight was they went back to their archives and played the cell phone report of their producer watching the Ep I trailer. Fun for everybody! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.