main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Television forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Nub, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Just a quick suggestion - could the actual 'section' for Star Wars TV be broken into several different forums? Right now everything is lumped into one forum which is 99% dominated by TCW threads.

I do understand that when it comes to TV & Star Wars, TCW is pretty much all that's happening right now, but it'd be handy if there were separate forums for the vintage cartoons, the Holiday Special (which is what I was looking for), TV commercials, vintage TV special appearances, & the like.

I know they'd be pretty quiet most of the time, but jamming it all under one banner seems to discourage anything not related to TCW, or encourage multiple threads regarding topics that only really need one. Given the activity around TCW, anything else is going to be bumped several pages pretty quick if it has to share the same forum.

(BTW, nothing against TCW, I'm only just starting on it with a Blu-Ray set, & thoroughly enjoying reliving the Saturday morning adventure cartoon thing for the first time in nearly 25 years:))

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This has crossed my mind before. I think everyone's been holding off on it until the Live Action series debuts, but in that case, we'd have the same problem (a TCW forum, a Live Action Series forum, and... where would the other stuff go?).

In other words, we will have to do it eventually. I wouldn't have a problem with it personally. And I've noticed the Droids/Ewoks crowd is slightly different than the CW one (old school vs new). It would depend how many forums we have though; at the moment, two (TCW and everything else) might be enough.

EDIT: Did some more thinking on this. We've got the new and old CW, oldschool stuff like the Holiday Special/Droids/Ewoks, upcoming projects like the Live Action series/Seth Green's project(s)/Family Guy/Robot Chicken, and miscellaneous stuff (SW-themed advertisements, parodies on non-SW shows, interviews on talk shows, etc).

I would rather not make a ton of forums for topics that could be discussed in a few threads. That leads me to wonder if we could have a forum for old projects, and another for anything ongoing/new. We could change this when the LA series starts.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm not a LACWACer, but if you're interested in splitting, another suggestion might be to have one forum for TCW, and then one for everything else (and then a third for the live action when the time comes). That way you can still separate out everything so the non-TCW stuff doesn't get lost, but with the old and the new non-TCW in one forum, you might give that more traffic than separating old from new.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Would there really be enough demand/traffic to warrent sub forums? At this point I'm not sure how many people really want to discuss Droids or other SSSW projects? The live action thing is on hold.

I really have my doubts that another forum would get enough traffic to justify its existence.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm not convinced (yet, at least) that splitting is necessary. If we do split, however, I think 2 forums should be sufficient, something along the lines Nat mentioned. The current TCW series could probably be grouped with the earlier CW cartoons, and then the second forum would cover the remaining potential topics. Live Action being a separate forum... maybe down the road when its actually coming out, but not now.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    We began discussing this idea back when Small Screen Star Wars was turned into LACWAC.

The original idea was that, when the LA series actually happens/has enough new info to warrant it's own forum, we would split LACWAC into LA & CWAC forums (essentially a division between live action and animated material).

The reason we haven't given the Classics their own forum is, as has been mentioned already, there just isn't enough traffic to warrant it. Only a fraction of that material is readily available (and even that is out of print, AFAIK) so not too many new users are going to be exposed to them and, outside any DVD/BRD box set release announcements in the future, there's nothing new to discuss (and anything new being added to those mythos from other sources are mostly a Lit Forum topic) for those who already have been.

Yes, Clone Wars does dominate LACWAC now- but that won't always be the case. 5 years ago the CW Micro-Series dominated SSSW, and now it only gets mentioned in 1 or 2 threads. In a few years, once TCW has concluded, discussion on that series will subside and join the Micro-Series, Droids & Ewoks in that same situation as we turn focus to newer shows like Seth Green's.

But really, that will always be the case with these forums- the newer stuff will overshadow the older stuff, but they eventually reach the same status. It's just become more prominent due to the delay of the LA series delaying the splitting of LACWAC.

And, as a result of that, you always get people wanting to ignore the older stuff so they can just talk about the newer stuff, and wanting the older stuff thrown off into it's own forum where it'll be easier to ignore. It happened back with the Micro-Series ("CW ties into the movies! It should be separate from Droids & Ewoks!", it happened with TCW ("TCW will be more like the movies! It should be separate from CW!"), and it'll probably happen again.

Beyond all that, I think you'll find the Classics material does get less buried when TCW is between seasons.

7. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I will not let this board, which has stood for ten years, be split on two!

But in all seriousness, right now I don't see a reason to divide LACWAC into subsections. Droids, Ewoks and Holiday Special don't really amount to much, and threads dedicated to such things do pop up and generate as much traffic as they can. There's really no need for an individual forum. If we ever get the Live Action series and Clone Wars series going on concurrently at full steam, then it might be necessary to split LACWAC in two. But right now, nope.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Thanks for the replies - I think what I wanted to bring up regarding the SWHS crosses the line into the Saga section anyway (it relates to Rinzler's Making Of ESB), was just interested to see what others thought, & whether it was worthwhile right now.

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    This, and some of what 2ndQuest said.

Since it is a full television forum, TCW is basically going to dominate the forum at the moment. There's other discussions about the holiday special, micro-series, ect, but, yes, they are rare.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Echoing what Quest said.

I don't think there's enough discussion to warrant splitting the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.