main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: The 3-3/4" Edition

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Syntax, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I had the most insane idea over this past weekend, when I was out of town. I really wasn't sure if this was the most appropriate forum for it, but since the idea has to do with the Hasbro action figures, I figured posting it here was a fairly safe bet. If this is the wrong forum for this, well, I apologize in advance.

My idea was.... what if someone were to totally recreate all of the Star Wars films, frame-for-frame, shot-for-shot, using 3-3/4" action figures? Like... make all the camera angles the same, build miniaturized sets, use some sort of CGI program to do stuff like explosion effects or blaster shots, and generally use different action figures to recreate the films in real-time, using stop-motion animation. If everything was timed out properly, one could even use the original audio track for the films, as the action-figure version would be a shot-for-shot reproduction of the original film anyway. Of course, there are logistical problems:

- making miniatures for the sets (and potentially using CGI to reproduce other random things from the backgrounds of the films. Especially stuff in Ep1 and Ep2)
    - acquiring the hundred-thousand-million Battle Droids it would take to recreate Ep1 and Ep2
    - having to potentially make "custom" figures for characters who do not have action figures (yet)
    - acquiring probably something like... duplicates of every single Hasbro Star Wars figure ever produced, at the very least

Sound like an impossible task? It just seemed like a really, really neat idea, and if done correctly, I thought it'd be pretty cool.

2. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    That would be a pretty monumental undertaking, but the end result would be fun.

I'd reccomend using children for the voice acting, to sort of reinforce the fact that these are toys we're working with.

3. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, the whole point was to use the original audio track from the films. Like... film the 3-3/4" Edition with no audio whatsoever, and then when playing it back, just play it back with the actual film running in the background, and the audio of the real film should line up with the video of the action figures.

4. NotClownJ0KER

NotClownJ0KER Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 24, 2001
    Actually I and a couple of my friends did something like that wayyyyyyyyyyy back in 1981. We used the old Marvel Star Wars comics between ANH and TESB to make a stop motion action figure movie. We called it "Episode 4.5 - The Move From Yavin To Hoth". It was really cheesy and took us about 8 months to produce...The stop motion was really jumpy, we painted the backgrounds, you can see fishing line holding the ships and figures that were supposed to be floating in space...we actually scrached the 8mm film and used red and green markers to make laser beams...egad!!!

But it was so much fun to do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.