main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars the Clone Wars: Dark Disciple (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So this is where we can talk about the upcoming book adapted from the Ventress/Vos Arc.

2. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    That would be the Lit section.

CoolyFett and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  3. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    I don't see why we can't have a discussion thread here, since it's adapted from an unfinished TCW arc. After all, we have a Son of Dathomir discussion thread here and that's a comic book.

Darth Zannah and credar like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not looking forward to it myself.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I know I know but as you can see we have put a thread for a new dawn and SOD here so why not and that way we can discuss it here when most of us are regulars with the shows.

This I will read it anyway though.

6. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm hoping they keep Christie Golden on a tight leash for this. I'd rather not have a potentially great unfinished TCW story ruined by being placed in the hands of a bad writer.

credar and darklordoftech like this.
  7. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Might be cool. I still haven't read Tarkin, so for me the new eu has been amazingly good.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Why a novel though and not a comic like SOD?!

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have not read a full novel of hers and have no intention of doing so, including this one; my biggest concern is that she was hired because she 'has experience writing Jedi/Sith romance'. That "experience" involved Ben Skywalker slapping Vestara because apparently she deserved it for being Sithly or something.

I'd rather be strapped to a hard chair and be forced to watch Mortis several times in a row with no alcohol than read a Vostress ([face_sick]) story even in the same universe of resembling that.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

If its not Vostress though.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Even if they aren't romantically involved, my statement stands regarding a scene like that.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

You realize this might just be the last time we read or see ventress but we will have to wait and see.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm OK with TCW being the last time if future depictions of her are just going to be bad.

Nothing wrong with my digital or hard copies of Bounty.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Nothing wrong with it I was just saying.

15. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Am curious as to where she ends up and Vos too.

If they intend to give Vos force lightning, but this ability was unknown to either Maul, Ventress and Vader, would be confusing and rather lame.

http://www.yodasnews.com/inside-look-ventress-quinlan-vos/

16. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I hope that the Story Group or whoever the editor is makes sure Golden sticks to Ventress' "Bounty"-ness and doesn't change her into some lovey-Vos/not her personality in general territory. I want to read a Ventress novel, not a novel with Ventress' name.

17. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    They better not kill of Vos.

panki likes this.
  18. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Not sure where that site got their "inside info" with Filoni's quote about the sketch, but that sketch is actually from a separate arc from what would've been Season 8. Dark Disciple is based on the Season 7 arc. This can be verified by the production codes from the Dark Disciple concept art (Story meeting 6)versus the file name of Filoni's Season 8 sketch (Story meeting 7).

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He uses it in the comics, when he's got amnesia - might be a nod to that.

20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Who knows, maybe they're combining the arcs and it explains why this is a novel rather than a 4 issue comic, seems a lot more added into it. It does appear that Dooku is smoking from being bolted in that drawing.

Maul vs Vos was not in SOD with Dooku overlooking, so its possible he makes an appearance as well. Maybe Vos follows the Republic comic and becomes a double agent to work at being Dooku's new disciple.

[​IMG]

21. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Vos was mentioned in RotS, so they can't kill him off before then.

22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Unless Vos has a Jedi brother in the new Canon?

23. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    *pulls him by the ear* You go and sit in the corner now and think of what you just said!

On a serious note, i remember seeing the scetch with Maul and Vos, but i distinctively remember Filoni saying it was just an idea at that moment,

cwustudent and TigerCraneFist like this.
  24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Yeah, you do make some good assertions on the sketch and what is happening there. I will say for the SOD arc, i actually spoke with the person who wrote the screenplay for the show (Barlow adapted that) and she confirmed that the initial story idea involved Vos, but back in 2011 when she wrote it she actually edited Vos out of the story after collaborating with Filoni and team. She said it was too much to include him and they needed to focus. So I think these adaptations like SOD are true to TCW screenplays.

You could be right about the Dark Disciple book including both the S7 and S8 arcs, we don't know yet. But I will say that in the Clone Wars legacy video, Filoni mentioned that they had several more scripts for Ventress' story, and that this book was the next iteration of that. He mentioned this at Celebration Europe also.

25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, Ben Skywalker is one of my favorite characters (my favorite, bar none, from the old EU), and that moment disgusted me. And I don't just mean the scene, itself (which was bad enough), but the utter mishandling of the character.

Completely out-of-character for Ben Skywalker, and one of those moments I was happy to see deemed non-canon. The uncharacteristic statement from Luke that "compassion is for those who deserve it" was another head-desk moment I was glad to see fall to the wayside (wasn't that Golden, too?)

Here's a writer who seems to lack any basic understanding of the characters she's entrusted with writing, and knowing that your love of Ventress is in a similar vein to my affection for Luke, Ben and Obi-Wan, I empathize completely with your concerns.

That said, I am looking forward to the story. Any canon continuation of both Ventress and Vos is something I want to experience. I just wish it had gone to someone else.

Who knows, maybe the author has improved? Here's hoping!

Cevan likes this.