main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Fan Comic

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Kualan, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    The Clone Wars Fan Comic

Hello folks,

First off, let me start off by saying that I know this maynot be the correct forum to post this, and that I endeavoured to find one better suited before realising it was a toss-up between Fan Art and Fan Fiction. This is sort of a blend of both. If there is a better suited forum for this, do let me known!

Now that that is out of the way, I can begin telling you all about this:

[image=http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/Kualan90/egy268.jpg]

The Clone Wars Fan Comic

Some of you may be familiar with the video game by Raven Software, Star Wars: Jedi Academy. Released in 2003 (I believe), the game still lives on as one the best Star Wars for the PC, and with the help of some tools (namely an application called ModView and Adobe Photoshop), I've been able to use the game to make a comic based on one of the most intriguing phases of Star Wars - the Clone Wars themselves.

Thus far, I have completed three "volumes" of the comic, each sixteen pages long and with 6 panels on each page, bar a few special 'one page' panels.

A fourth volume, incomplete, has been uploaded to the site, and basically I've posted the link here in the hopes of receiving opinions, constructive criticism and general feedback about the whole thing from my fellow fan writers/artists. Do people like the direction of the story? Is the characterization of Obi-Wan, Anakin, etc all accurate? Does it look good?

All thoughts and comments are appreciated, loved and harvested :)

- Kualan

2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Impressive, most impressive. Got more?

:D

3. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    Welcome :)

It looks really good, although it looks very much 'photoshopped' together. Especially with the figures they don't look as if they are part of the picture, if that makes sense. I think blending the figures more with the background would sort that out. :)

If you want more feedback about characters, storyline, then I suggest you post it in fanfiction. They can give you better feedback there.

Hope that helps.

4. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks a bunch, I'll take your advice.

:)

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome, Kualan! You're definitely in the right place in posting this! :)

I paged through your first issue and I have to say I'm quite impressed. I'm trying to place how you did the characters and I want to say they look like models from a video game, but I'm not sure. Definitely computer generated and I love the originality in that. Keep it up! :)

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hello Kualan, and please accept my somewhat belated welcome to Fan Art! As to characterization, I must agree with Kiyuuchan that you may want to enlist the expert assistance of some of the gurus in Fan Fiction--but we're all happy to look at the art of it, though! :D I agree with our mod that it looks like it's modeled from the game, but I, too, think it's terribly creative to take those images and fit them into your own story--well done!

FF

7. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome, folks! Been a long-time 'browser' before finally signing up, heh.

You're both absolutely right, it is made using a game: Star Wars Jedi Academy, it's called.

The exact process is that I take as many screenshots as I need of the backgrounds for each individual panel in the comic (in some panels, particularly in Volumes 2 onwards I also use non-game backgrounds)from the game itself. I then use a tool called 'ModView' which allows me to view and position the characters from that game on a separate grey background. This grey background is easily removed with the Photoshop Magic Wand tool, and the character is placed wherever I need it to be in the panel.

Lightsabers, blaster bolts, etc are all done in Photoshop.

8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I just admire what people can do with computers...

*feels so old fashioned now*

But you are great anyway.

9. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    Heh :p

Uploaded the rest of Volume 4, and Volume 5 is well underway.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    This is very well done. However, I do have a 2 small suggestions. I know that the jedi academy models don't all respond the same to the animations and clipping occurs. This is evident in several panels when models have their hands clasped. You can see dooku's hand through his cape and Yoda's as well. If you can, try to edit out these clippings in photoshop.

The other thing I noticed in one panel of Volume 4 has a blaster bolt directly in front and in back of Luminara. From that angle, it appears she should have been shot. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.