main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars: The Clone Wars nominated for seven daytime Emmys

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Convor, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Wait... Hondo annoyed you that much!? I did not expect that.

I like Simon Pegg and I loved his work on the show. Nuff said.

I completely understand!

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    This is good news indeed. TCW better win an Emmy. It has to, especially coming off of its best season.

Darth_Harmon likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't have a strong opinion of the character, but I wasn't crazy about his voice and I can think of other VAs who deserve an Emmy.

4. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Just out of curiosity are you one of those EU fans that got pissed when TCW didn't hold very true to the EU. It seems those are mainly the people who are saying how bad TCW was.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not going to speak for Zand as I'm not sure what he's read and what he hasn't, but as for myself:

One of my favorite EU authors is Karen Miller, who wrote novels in TCW universe, novels which included Ahsoka. I actually thought her Clone Wars: Wild Space novel was better than Jedi Trial, which had Anakin knighted a year and a half after the Clone Wars began.

I've read some EU but my favorite EU stories have not been touched by TCW.

And I still share Zand's opinion. Season Five royally sucked. The series started going downhill during season 3.

Epic FAIL attempt to stereotype people and box them into ridiculous categories. Maybe some people just find certain aspects of TCW (or hell, the entire show) bad because they thought it was bad, not for some reason for which you can stereotype and categorize them in an attempt to dismiss their opinions as somehow less valid.

Draconarius likes this.
  6. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Sorry hon but if it weren't true that a lot of people bashing TCW weren't pissed EU fans than that thread about Barriss Offee and Even Piell wouldn't have reached so many pages.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Don't call me "hon." Only a few people on LACWAC have permission to do that. ;)

I haven't read the EU books about Barriss Offee, but I thought it was monumentally stupid that she made a reappearance after an absence of almost three seasons and we're suddenly supposed to believe that she and Ahsoka were best friends, or close enough that Ahsoka would feel "betrayed" by her. As it was, Ahsoka should have felt no more "betrayed" than I would if someone I occasionally hung out with in high school or college, committed a crime.

Nice try though. Again, stereotyping attempt epic FAIL.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Great news!!!

9. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    So in your opinion things can't happen off-screen. Ahsoka can only make friends while the camera is on her? Sorry but it would be monumentally stupid to put Barriss in episodes just to prove that her and Ahsoka were becoming close friends. They already proved they were friends by the episodes they had early in the shows run and the development they talked about during that arc in season 5. No need to put in any more development than that. If people need more convincing than that well then you are just going to have to chalk it up to that there are always going to be a few people you won't satisfy no matter what you do.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If the friendship is supposed to be that important to the series? Yes, it needs to be shown on screen.

Someone that Ahsoka occasionally drank ruby bliels with but was otherwise unimportant to her character development, nah, I don't need to see it.

See my above statement.

"Talked about"? LMAO. Show, don't tell.

That reminds me of the EU novels in which I was told how awesome Thrawn was, and told how awesome Mara Jade was.

Oh noes! I just bashed the EU! I thought I was only bashing the TCW because I was a hard-core EU fan! What are we going to do??? We need to scramble for a new stereotype QUICK!

LOL wut? A friendship that is so important that she would leave the Jedi Order over its "betrayal," and it only needs 10 minutes of development?

11. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Well Anakinfan if you need to be shown every little detail in order to buy into things than you probably would be unsatisfied with certain storylines (you probably would have liked it better if TCW was one of those serial dramas where the action from the current episode picked up where the previous one left off). Like people always say you can't please everyone but just concentrate on pleasing a lot of them. TCW did that and it was a very popular show and a very good show and it deserves the attention it is getting.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Every little detail"? No. I didn't need to be shown every time Anakin took a piss, in order to be convinced that he did, every few hours, take a piss.

But are you seriously arguing that a friendship whose "betrayal" caused Ahsoka to leave the Jedi Order is a little detail? [face_laugh]

13. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    If TCW was a serial show than yes it should have been shown. But since it was not a serial show and lengthy amounts of time can take place inbetween each episode (infact most of the episodes only told the story of themselves while they were on missions) there isn't as great of need to put stuff like that in. Who Ahsoka was becoming buddy buddy with wasn't important enough to put into episodes. I like serial dramas. Infact I prefer them and was a little disappointed when TCW did not follow that design. But came to enjoy TCW on its own right as a standalone episodic format where periods of time can pass inbetween each episode and every episode isn't technically connected to each other.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would agree with you--if the writers hadn't tried to shoehorn the idea that Ahsoka was friends with Barriss into that final arc, and as I said, make that friendship so important that she would leave the Order over its "betrayal."

That alone made "who she was buddy-buddy with" pretty damn important.

As it was, I was supposed to believe that Ahsoka, a main character on the show, had been "close friends" all along with this character that I haven't seen in three seasons. Why am I supposed to believe this?

Because they said so, that's why.

Nope, doesn't work.

TCW hasn't been a "standalone episode format" since season 2.

15. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    We will just have to agree to disagree then because it is obvious you were one of the few that didn't like the directions TCW took and wouldn't have been satisfied with a lot of things they chose to do no matter what. That's ok though because people like you seemed to be in the minority and the majority did appreciate the show and thought it was done very well. And there were many standalone episodes through each season (most seasons only had one or two short arcs out of a twenty two episode season).

Maybe you should go watch some of those serials they have on television where everything that happens in the world is meant to be shown onscreen.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL attempts to box people into categories when they disagree with you in order to dismiss their opinions as somehow "less worthy" than yours.

The "bandwagon philosophy" in your next sentences is another passive-aggressive attempt to do the same.

If you want to "agree to disagree," why not, well, agree to disagree? Why add the dismissive tone on top of it?

If you need to do that, I'm not sure you're really ready to "agree to disagree."

17. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Nice attempt at trying to keep the debate going. No need to argue with you anyway as even you yourself aren't arguing that you are in the minority with how you feel about the show. You can't please everyone and you are one of those that can't be pleased so there is no need to worry about it. Have a good day.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope, because I haven't seen any polls and I really don't give a ****.

My opinion is not more or less validated by the number of people who share it. Neither is yours.

It would actually be fairly easy to please me on this topic though.

Have Barriss on a mission with Ahsoka in a season 3 arc. Then in a season 4 arc. And early in a season 5 arc. Ahsoka was in most of the episodes in those seasons; Barriss could have gone along with her. In fact, if Barriss had regularly accompanied her on missions, it would have not only made their alleged "close friendship" more believable, but it would have added an "uh-oh" factor to her absence early in the Wrong Jedi arc.

It really would not be that difficult. The writers chose not to do it. Period. There was absolutely no other reason why they couldn't.

If you personally are happy believing that they were friends because Filoni said they were, more power to you--but behaving as if there were something wrong with those of us who aren't willing to accept that definition of "storytelling," isn't cool.

19. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

Coric and Convor like this.
  20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    If I were to root for TCW, I'd choose Witwer and/or Cummings for voice acting.

21. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    Really? Honestly I only saw him in "Harry Potter", so I can't tell.

Off topic but for the amusement (or not) of Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan : Speaking of forgetting characters; without the preview clip I still would not remember who Trench is. And this time I'm serious. :p

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    YOU DO NOT REMEMBER TRENCH!? are we still playing or do you really not remember one of my fave villains from the show... :eek:

Dathomir-Witch likes this.
  23. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    i didn't know you felt that way ;)

Huyang likes this.
  24. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    True story this time. Though I remembered a spider-guy in a space battle episode I totally forgot that his name was Trench.

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Gee, potential storylines being squandered in favor of the status quo? I've never heard any of that before. A character turning evil for a few episodes for the sole purpose of shock value and then dropped with the end of the arc? Never heard of that either *cough*Barriss*cough*.

Come on Dan, it might be my opinion, but you could lay off on the implications against me. From a production standpoint, as well as a focus, I have to say that I appreciate Transformers Prime more than TCW. Does it have as good visuals? No, but what that means is that they have been more conservative and well organized with what assets they can use. TCW has so many assets and visuals that it absolutely squanders, spending god knows how much money on pointless cameos and fanservice. It's wasteful, if you have a character model, bloody well use it. Don't go to all the effort of making a fantastically detailed Clone Commando model if all you will use it for is a fifteen second cameo and one action scene that lasts a minute and a half.

Less characters in Prime allows each autobot and Decepticon to shine in multiple episodes, and considering how most of the TF series have gone, this is in keeping with the style the shows go for: A galactic war being fought by a remaining handful of individuals that survived the cataclysm on their homeworld. It limits the show's scope, but that also allows more emphasis on character development and much stronger writing. Dialogue in particular is much snappier than in The Clone Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.