main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: The Essential Atlas. Canon or EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RogueSix, Jan 5, 2016.

1. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015
    Debating on getting Star Wars: The Essential Atlas by Daniel Wallace and Jason Fry but am trying to stay within the confines of the canon universe.

So is it canon, EU, or something in between? If not canon, does anyone know of anything like this coming out on the near horizon?

2. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    It's not canon, but you should still get it. It's awesome.

3. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015

That's what I hear and it gets great reviews on Amazon.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    They use it for consulting locations according to Pablo. But, no, it is not canon.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Like a lot of things Legends, I would bet a lot of that Atlas is going to get recanonized over the course of future years. Wallace and Fry aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

darklordoftech and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If you want to see half of Lit credited for helping write something, with special mentions to the earliest names listed, that is the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CooperTFN, Jedi Ben, Robimus and 3 others like this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'll admit, I still proud and more than a bit honored to have my name in the EA and EGTW. Two of the best EU books and fantastic examples of when authors & fans collaborate and share ideas.

Not to take ANYTHING away from Dan, Jason, and Paul. They are the true authors of those respective books. But they were incredibly cool to include our ideas, theories, and feedback. :)

The last mini-Golden Age of the old EU. :)

--Adm. Nick

8. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    While technically not canon it seems to be one of the sources mined the most for the New Canon.

9. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Look no further than the Western Reaches for an example of stuff trickling into screen canon from the Atlas. It seems that much of the "infrastructure" of the universe will stay the same.

In answer to your second question, there won't be anything like this in the new canon for years or maybe ever, since it will take a while to accumulate an equivalent amount of history without just copy-pasting huge chunks from Legends which would be counter to the whole point.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Only SW book I've ever been name-checked in. You can see us all by going here on Amazon and doing a 'look inside' to see the acknowledgement page. (It's only a few pages in from the beginning).

darklordoftech and Robimus like this.
  11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I was just gonna say you should buy it because my name is in it :p But others beat me to it :)

12. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015
    Well now I have to buy it.

That's pretty cool that they used you guys/gals for source material. Was it stuff you had written on here or elsewhere?

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In my case I provided Jason Fry with some scans and information from the UK SW Fact Files. The galaxy map and issues weren't available in the US.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm sad I couldn't be part of the collaboration for these books because it was during the years I was most burnt out from the EU, but I can say that the Atlas and Warfare books were my joys and delights in those very same years that I barely bothered with the EU.

There's a lot of EU lore that might be confusing or irrelevant to canon, a lot that won't be, but no matter what these books were something special.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    People have rightly pointed out that the Atlas has had a continuing impact on the New EU (including something from it being namedropped in TFA) but Warfare has had an impact too, there was a lot of stuff from it (and the Atlas) in Tarkin.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    People have rightly pointed out that the Atlas has had a continuing impact on the New EU (including something from it being namedropped in TFA) but Warfare has had an impact too, there was a lot of stuff from it (and the Atlas) in Tarkin.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    And like half the Rebel flag officers from it showed up in Moving Target. I think as long as Jason Fry's still around, both books are going to remain relevant as sources, if not in their entirety.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I actually laughed when I saw Nantz. I was like "well, I know Jason wrote this part of it" :p

jSarek likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The original maps were based on those from NJO novels and digitised by a user called Modi, who I liaised with and we put together the maps on nav-computer.com. From there Jason took it further and researched every reference with the boards for Star systems, Senate theories, ideas as to conflicting references to the Unknown Regions size, the stellar barrier between the known and unknown, and so so so so much besides. A lot of us were also privately theory spitballing with him and if you want to know why the Killiks got a retcon for 30,000 BBY and Korriban, you need look no further than my query of Jason about a very old article he wrote!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was one of the things that got me into SW debates (and questioning previously established info, like the 900km DS2 - thanks to the 4900km Forest Moon).

And it and TEGTW are my two favorite SW reference books.

21. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015
    Not gonna lie, it's pretty cool and amazing that fan debates, theories, etc. can have such an impact in shaping the universe that millions love. I am relatively new to this deeper side of the SW universe and am just trying to take it all in. Impressive.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The SW officialdom is one that is pretty responsive to fandom. Our reference book pals -- Jason, Dan, Abel, and others -- love nerding out with us, but prose authors, comic writers, etc are all generally good with interacting with fans both here and in general.

LFL and all the licensees have generally done very well by the fans.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.