main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Force Awakens...reviews

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by w4tkn, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I actually really liked that.... Similar, but diffent.

Canyon D likes this.
  2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    And another way he was different than vader, at least in the OT. When he strangled Tagge he was calm, focused, toying with him. Look how calmly he responds to Tarkin. Same when he "accepted" Needa's apology. Ren was enraged.

Canyon D and Strongbow like this.
  3. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Yea I loved that scene. His force pull on the guy is so violent

Collin Tongue likes this.
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I think the point is that Ren can't control his rage that well. We know the dark side will consume you. We know the force will (partially) control your actions. Kylo us unstable and volatile (like his saber). That's a key difference between him and Vader who never loses his cool in the OT. And yes, Finn and Rey have to make it down that huge ladder whereas Kylo probably has a more direct route into the forest and can cut them off.

Canyon D and Strongbow like this.
  5. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

Kylo was already at floor/snow level where Finn and Rey had to climb down the ladders. however Kylo had to leave by side entrance which was on same side that the MF was on, hence he was ahead of them when they met. Plot hole disappears!

Dame sans merci and Canyon D like this.
  6. Gaston444

Gaston444 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Really? And how does he know where they are going, since they are hidden inside a forest? Oh yeah, the Force....

And where the heck are the 5000 troopers that should be defending such a place?

It's always amazing to see, in many movies, how very important vulnerable places are always deserted, or very sparsely manned... Return of The Jedi was very dependent on this as well...

G.

Collin Tongue likes this.
  7. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
  8. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

As was ANH really.

I mean if this kind of thing bothers you, I don't see how you can enjoy any Star Wars Movie really

EHT, Canyon D, yassir.khan and 3 others like this.
  9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Or in fact most genre movies.

10. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    any way i saw it again today for my 3rd viewing. It really is a great re-entry to the saga, it gets better every time although my 2nd viewing was on a superior screen. The main points for me to make are

- about 40% full in a suburban theatre on a Monday 12.45pm (matinee) surprised me, though it would be nearly empty
    - Rey is fabulous, love her to bits. What a find by the casting crew!
    - Finn i really loved this time in, don't get wrong i enjoyed him on first viewings also but this time I watched him a bit more closely and his character development was superb as was JB's portrayal
    - Topping that is Adam Driver, wow...he really got into this role and gave it everything. Kylo is such a complex character but its easy to see what the writers had in mind and AD has really delivered a masterful performance. Going to be very interesting to see where they go with Kylo/Ben
    - Poe I am really starting to warm too, i didnt focus on his role too much on my first 2 viewings but his role is bigger than you realise (whilst still not on finn/Rey level) and I am sure he will have an important part to play going forward. Funny how everyone complains about rey's apparant super abilities but I haven't seen a complaint about Poe's Anakin level piloting skills despite him apparantly having no force ability?????
    - Harrison Ford really is amazing in this movie, he really brought Han back out in this.
    - Funniest line in every viewing has been Chewie's with the nurse (even funnier than BB-8's thumbs up), well done JJ cos this is a brilliant scene and VERY Star Wars, everyone in theatre cracks up at that one.
    - the score is growing on me now. Reys Theme and Jedi Steps in particular are a bit different but feel like Star Wars. The scenes of Rey by herself in the beginning are just fantastic actually.
    - Luke and Rey was wonderful again, gets me a bit teary every time actually. So much emotion from both.

My only complaint that i can think of actually is that certain keys scenes were held or ran a fraction long. The scenes i am referring to are

- Han and Leia looking at each other
    - Han and Ben holding sabre
    - Rey's force up during duel. The closing eyes bit was fine but was too long in sabre lock prior imo.
    - Luke and Rey (brilliant scene but about 3 seconds too long)

Very very minor complaints though as in all of them I feel it was only 2-3 seconds too long and that could just be me and its certainly not enough to affect my enjoyment of the movie. Dying to get my hands on the BR, almost as much as I am waiting for ep8

JediLight, yassir.khan and Satipo like this.
  11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Those kind of "plot-holes" have always been around.
    The level of nitpicking in the internet film community has just grown to epidemic-level since the advent of popular youtube channels like Cinema Sins. They emphasize picking apart minor details about the logistics of the movie's universe rather than anything meaningful on a story or technical level. Everybody thinks they're Roger Ebert because they can notice tiny inconsistencies in space-fantasy films.

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    An unfortunate phenomenon. But to be expected, I suppose, since it gives dumb people the illusion of being smart.

13. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Star Wars, in general, is pretty dependent of conviences of that sort. If it really bothers you, maybe you just don't like Star Wars.

yassir.khan likes this.
  14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Whilst "who the Hell cares" is one option, and another possibility lies in the fact that at one point in the edit Kylo knows full well where the Falcon is and so could anticipate their escape route, I do quite like it when someone gives another possible answer in their own question: And how does he know where they are going, since they are hidden inside a forest? Oh yeah, the Force...

yassir.khan likes this.
  15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Yeah, I mean, one of the things about Star Wars is that The Force as a concept does allow for some narrative fudges. If you're going to roll your eyes at the idea of the force, then Star Wars really isn't for you.

(9though that doesn't apply to Binary Sunset for whom the Force presumably only manifests in the way we see it used in ANH)

yassir.khan likes this.
  16. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Of course what amazes me having seen these movies 100+ times each except 21 for TFA is how "fans" are so insanely ignorant that they can't manage to follow 7 movies enough to think, GEE, can the Force allow someone to move incredibly fast? Huh. Where did that maybe happen before? Maybe was it literally five minutes or less into TPM when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan speed down a hallway?

DURR.

Every plot hole I've ever heard so far is the viewer being a complete Moof Milker lol. Having directed a movie myself, I spent thousands of hours with my script and my movie. And we have people who saw TFA once or twice and spent a few hours with it saying the filmmakers are wrong?! Hahahaha yeah you must think you're a Mensa genius. I'm sorry what high powered company do you run? That's what I thought. It's the absolute height of arrogance and stupidity to throw accusations at a movie you barely know rather than have the humility to examine a bit deeper.

Send me when you've seen it at least 10 like I have - maybe your opinion might be informed and not just a shoot from the hip response with no value whatsoever.

17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    ^ this times 1000.

Here's the thing. You're trying to survive in a harsh, backwater trading post, inhabited by all sorts of humans, droids and aliens.

If you don't speak many and various languages, you're not going to communicate with people. You don't communicate with people, you die. You stick to the one language you know, and you're the exception, the person who excludes themselves from what little society there is.

Learning languages isn't a luxury, it's just as essential a survival skill as fighting. And all Rey has been doing is surviving. That's not an exaggeration; waiting and surviving is literally all we see her do until she meets BB-8

18. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Correction: He dresses like a Dark Side user. I would compare him more with maul cause of the robes and the new inquisitor cause of the helmet

19. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Calling someone a moof milker can get you a death mark in 12 systems!

But yeah, I agree. Most of these "plot holes" are simply a matter of people not working it through... or just disliking the movie and looking for reasons to back it up. But seriously, I can do the same to ESB, if I wanted to. There are a LOT of conveniences in that movie too (like all the Star Wars movies).

20. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Exactly. There are some "haters" that want every little small detail to be specifically fed to them.
    I guess they wanted EP VII to be a documentary :)

21. Collin Tongue

Collin Tongue Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2016
    You think Kylo Ren dresses more like maul than vader? The guy who worships vader, keeps his helmet around, and has a helmet and voice modulator? I'm not so sure. I will say he looks more like darth revan than vader(they did a good job of using KOTOR for ideas). google image darth rev an if you don't know him, you will find it interesting.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  22. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    The robes are far more maul like. Vader wore armor and a cape. Maul wore a tunic and a cloak. Kylo wears a tunic and cloak... In fact the only resemblance is the voice modulator and the color black...
    And yes the mask bears a slight resemblance to revans.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Maul and Kylo Ren both wear black robes. Vader has a suit composed of armor plates and leather, plus a cape. The only similarity is that Vader and Kylo both wear black and have helmets with masks. Kylo's obsession with Vader is about a lot more than the visual appearance.

24. Collin Tongue

Collin Tongue Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2016

AND the voice modulator A LA Darth Vader too. And I agree EHT, Kylo's obsession is a lot more than the visual appearance, I would argue the appearance he presents(vaderesque in more than one way at least) is a result of the deeper reasoning given.

And for the record, I thought his mind probing, blaster bolt predicting/holding and force petrification were all very cool moves and wonderful uses of the force.:kylosaber:

JabbatheHumanBeing and EHT like this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.