Star Wars The Force Unleashed [All Formats] (General/Non Spoiler Discussion)

Discussion in 'Games' started by jp-30, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That part of the game, after figuring out how to do it and do it well about 3 times, started out as the hardest part of the game and now it is sooo simple i brought it down after just two waves of tie fighters.
  2. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    That certain part of the game (pulling down the Star Destroyer) was a bit frustrating; it's glitched. The sticks don't always give you an accurate direction, as sometimes the sticks will be "in the right position" but you won't be given the prompt to "pull down". I finally figured out that the Star Destroyer has to be looking straigt and directly at you; it's a pain but just about half-way through the entire thing, you have to ignore the stick prompts. It takes about five times of pulling it down to finish the level.

Not exactly looking forward to this section on Sith Master...
  3. LordKermit Jedi Knight

star 1
    Allthough I have never played the game the way that some things are described doesnt it seem like this apprentice guy is stronger than anyone else? I mean I never saw Vader or the Emperor or even Yoda take down a destroyer. He even had trouble moving a x-wing.
  4. cggunnersmate Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Jedi Adventure Robes (much cooler than regular old Jedi Robes)
    Sith Robes
    Jungle Combat
    Sith Stalker (wish you could use those extra sabers)
    Jedi Ceremonial (same as above)
  5. sethsky Jedi Knight

star 1
    It might seem that way, but he's really not. Jedis are extremely powerful in the game, so are Vader and Sidious.
    And you have to remember that this is a game, they do a lot of over the top stuff. Lucas never made the jedis this powerful in his movies.
    If the jedis had been as powerful as they are in this game, then they would have never been so easily killed by order66.
  6. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Has there been any announcement made about a doenloadable patch to address that Default Text glitch?
  7. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
  8. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    No, unfortunately there has been no talk for a patch to fix the glitches. Which is very, very sad. I'm hoping the fixes come along with the new content (skins, etc.) It's also disheartening because apparently not all copies of the game are glitched; only some. For instance, my friend has the achievement for all the holocrons, yet I cannot get it...because of the default text glitch. The game won't recognize/count the holocrons on the final two levels. Very, very annoying.

While the game is canon, it was mentioned time and time again that Starkiller is vastly overpowered to give the player(s) a much more enjoyable experience. If you want to play with a realistic, true to the movies Jedi experience, just play the first level or so on Sith Master with a fresh Starkiller; chances are you will get beat on pretty nicely.

Overall, the over-powered Jedi abilities only add to the game. If anyone really wants to take them at face value and say that Starkiller is the most powerful Force user ever due to this...well that's their folly.
  9. JediLight Force Ghost

star 4
    That's your opinion and your definitely entitled to it.

In my little SW world (mind), canon are the movies only from Episodes I to VI. Those movies are nearly 100% George Lucas storylines and intrepretations. The Clone Wars, The Force Unleashed is not quite canon in my opinion. But it's higher level of canon than some of the books written after ROTJ where the Emperor gets cloned or the Sith return as one of Solo's children. I feel that if it makes Anakin's story of redemption irrelevant, I discount it completely.
  10. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So only the events in episodes 1-6 happened, but everything afterwards or before then didn't happen? You acknowledge the fact that one is more real than the other? Even though they are both works of fiction developed or ok'ed by the same person? And, again, they are both works of fiction? You think that one is real and the other not? Since that's just silly, whats the point? You can say that you don't like the books or something, but they all happened in teh same 'universe' and that they all 'happened' in that work of fiction.
  11. JediLight Force Ghost

star 4
    SW is fictional universe. The real question is whether the novels, video games, and the TV series carry as much weight as the movies. In my honest opinion, I feel that movies complete the story that Lucas wanted to tell: Anakin's Fall and Redemption.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the other areas (novels, video games, TV series), but they don't simply carry the same impact as the movies marked with an Episode. Those other areas just aren't as relevant to the main story. I would guess to say that almost any American could see a picture of Darth Vader or Chewbacca most people could identify them.

Now show them a picture of Ventress, Ashoka, Thrawn or Starkiller. They are all cool, but most people won't have a clue who they are except for a SW geek (me included and leading the way!).

When my child watches ROTJ for the first time and Anakin is redeemed, I won't say "The Emperor really isn't dead. He gets cloned again".

That stuff isn't part of my canon.

12. maderic Force Ghost

star 3
    I agree entirely with JediLight. My primary problem with the EU is that it undermines the movie's story and frequently (as is the case with TFU) tries to one-up the movies/movies' characters with 'cool' characters. It comes across as, in regards to The Force Unleashed, as a bad fan fiction where the author wrote themselves into the story as the main character. A lot of EU is what is silly, not the notion of discounting items you don't agree with.

13. Robal_Krahl Force Ghost

star 5

Wrong. The game is indeed canon. The fact that you don't accept it, however, is merely opinion. The official stance on canon was pointed out in Star Wars Gamer #6:

"Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas?s Star Wars saga of films and screenplays."
    -Sue Rostoni

The Lucas Licensing editors have gone on to say that TFU is a part of the canon universe, going so far as to produce a novel and graphic novel detailing the events of the game. That is fact. Whether or not you accept it as part of your own is entirely up to you, of course, but the official stance is that it is canon.
  14. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    There's nothing like a little canon battle to liven up the day..
    [face_laugh]
  15. JediLight Force Ghost

star 4
    Lucas also approved those post ROTJ novels, didn't he? This is what Lucas said recently about post ROTJ material and his thoughts on canon:

"There will be definitely be no Episode 7-9. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything! And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

"Now these three different pillars [himself, Lucas Licensing, fans] don't always match, but the movies and TV shows are under my control and they are consistent within themselves"

Source
  16. Robal_Krahl Force Ghost

star 5

Which is an extreme backtrack, considering that in the past he said that if he'd have done a post-ROTJ story, Dark Empire would have been it. Lucas flip-flops so much that whatever he says is to be taken with a grain of salt. Considering the fact that Lucas is wrong in saying "they are all consistent within themselves," as we have many inconsistencies between the movies alone, his word doesn't count for much. In an early interview before TPM hit the silver screen, Lucas went on record saying that the Star Wars Trilogy was told from the memory banks of R2-D2 and C-3PO. It was only until he made the PT that he took the stance that the entire Saga was "Anakin's story." Either way, the company of Lucas Licensing takes an official stance in saying that the EU material is canon.

I find it interesting that Lucas placed certain restrictions on post-ROTJ stories if they, in fact, "didn't happen" in his mind. If they carried no weight, why place restrictions? Why involve yourself if these stories are not canon? Also worthy of note is that Lucas started saying "only what I do is canon" only after the EU fans started complaining about things done in the PT.
  17. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
  18. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    No he didn't. I looked into this a while ago on the Literature board; what happened is that someone saw Kurtz's outline of Lucas' original plans for Episodes 7-9, noticed they were similar to DE in some themes and such, and like a game of telephone it mutated its way through the fandom until it turned into "Lucas said DE would have been the sequels".
  19. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Id just like to point out that Star Wars isn't George Lucas'. It belongs to the fans and everyone who watches or reads or does whatever within it. So saying that Lucas didn't have any plans for before or after the events of the movies doesn't discount that content was made for those eras and that they should be just discarded. You can say that you don't like them after ACTUALLY READING them or something, but just because Lucas didn't make them doesn't mean they aren't as good, or that they don't carry as much weight as the movies, which i find an odd notion.
  20. sethsky Jedi Knight

star 1
    But it's not only Starkiller that is overpowered, everybody is. And in the game it's Sidious that is shown to be the most powerful, in both endings.
    Played a new game on sith master, got trough it just fine, the only annoying part was that i didn't have many moves.
    Even bringing the Stardestroyer down, Kota says;"You're a jedi, size means nothing." He didn't state, "You are the only one powerful enough to bring down a stardestroyer", other jedis could have done it.

About the canon bit, yes i've also read it stating that this game is canon, that still doesn't mean it's G-canon. And we'll see if it clashes with the upcoming live-tv show that takes place between episode 3 and 4. If Starkiller makes an appearence in it, i'm sure he'll be on a more realistic level of power.
    I also agree with the person that stated that only the George movies are canon for him.
    Lucas made it clear that nothing happens after the movies, unless he himself continues the story in any form. All the comics,novels,games are a certain degree of canon, but not G-canon. For me they are just a fun bonus, i take what i like and that's it.
    I really do hope that Lucas is more involved with the Force Unleashed 2 story, cus it's so obvious that he didn't write the story of the first one.
  21. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Has he written the story on anything except the movies? just curious, i was under the impression that he only makes changes to what people bring him and tells him that such a character can't do that, Leia has to do this, they can't do that and so on.
  22. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    There's a few things he's written directly for the EU: the prologue to Shatterpoint, a speech by Sidious in Labyrinth of Evil, some backstory elements in that same book, Darth Bane, and a few names like Rothana. Most of what he does is that sort of checking off, though.
  23. sethsky Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not much no, writes have considerable freedom in EU. Not a 100% but still a lot, Lucas allows them to tell their stories set in his verse.
    And yes, Lucas hasn't written that much outside of his own movies, he's still the master and expert of the StarWars-verse. But there have been things that he adopted from the EU in his absolute canon.
    Even so, he can't check everything out personaly(he's a busy man and there are many EU works constantly being made.), mostly it's his compangies, like Lucasarts that check it for him, following his set guidelines.
  24. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    True. I'm just bringing up the fact that the game developers did cite, before hand, that the Force powers in this game had been pushed through the roof to enhance the gaming experience.

I just beat the game today on Sith Master. Surprisingly, the toughest parts were Kazdan (I expected as much) and the Bull Rancor. Other than that, I did pretty well. I think the fact that my character was basically maxed out by the time I got to the final level had a lot to do with it. I literally breezed through the two Finales; I was a bit letdown because...I had hyped them up considerably in my head.

Oh well, it's done and over with completely, now. I'll set it aside until the downloads come around.

[Side Note] It seems the "default text" glitch just picks and chooses which save files it wants to be on. My first time through the game, on Warrior, I had the default text. This time, on Master, I did not. I was able to get all the holocrons/bonus objectives. Thankfully.
  25. harrison13 Jedi Knight

star 2
    If I am not mistaken, GL had a big part in this game. He approved each aspect of the game and even gave pointers. So for those of you putting down the game because you feel it is trying to "one-up" the movies, GL was involved. Plus it is a game!, of course they are going to make everything a little over the top.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.