Star Wars The Force Unleashed [All Formats] (General/Non Spoiler Discussion)

Discussion in 'Games' started by jp-30, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    You gotta love the guy. On the one hand, he doesn't give a $#!+ about what other people have done to the fiction outside of EPs. 1-6. And on the other, it's his licensing department the one that has allowed the expansion of the SW universe throughout the past couple of decades with all assorted videio games and novels. What a damn egomaniac. SW it's just not as "good"/"canonical" if it doesn't have his direct creative imput. Well, I'll tell you what George: crap like Jar-Jar and many of the other woeful elements of the PT didn't make SW any damn better. I can barely tolerate ROTS; but forget about the cringe inducing disasters that are Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (really love! that name, after all these years, George). The fact I enjoyed the story of TPU far more than the preceding canonical episodes just tells you just how much I appreciate his creative quality.
  2. sethsky Jedi Knight

star 1
    Indeed, i have no problem with it, just get annoyed when some new fan comes out stating Starkiller is the most powerful ever, when everybody in the game is extremely powerful.

Yep, i also beat it on Master a week or so ago. It's simply more damage, i would have rather wanted the AI to become smarter, giving you much more of a challange. My most diffecult spot was Sidious in the last battle, Vader i could defeat easily the second time, but not Sidious. Had to work at it a little bit:D .

I also can't wait for the first download to arrive.

Yes, Lucas did have input in the game and it's considerd canon. But Haden Blackman was the writer. And all Lucas pretty much did is look at a list and approve/not approve something, that doesn't mean he wrote the story. Haden Blackman wrote it and you can tell that he's pretty inexperienced in telling a good StarWars story, imo.
    I don't think the game is trying to one-up the movies, it does however damage certain key points, like Anakin's redemption, Sidious being a genius mastermind,the effect of the darkiside on a person,ect.
  3. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    i was under the impression that george had stated TFU was g-canon. more than once. this would make it the exact same level as the movies. soooooo if people are complaining about something not being that level it seems rather stupid to say it's only the movies, when this game is the exact same level of canonocity. (yes, i know that's not a real word)

:snoopy
  4. cggunnersmate Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    The story/characters for TFU show a lot of potential but were unfortunately not fleshed out to the extent they could have been. Aside from the love interest aspect, Juno was a pretty useless character (Proxy could have flown the ship). The novel gives her more back story to work with and there's potential there but they never give her much to do. Even less in the game. Starkiller also had a lot of potential but they didn't give us even a hint of what was going on in his head in the game and not much more in the novel.

Probably my favorite character from the whole thing was Kota. I'd love to see Culley Fredrickson portray him in the live action series (he could even mentor a young Jedi who eventually falls to Vader or something). I wish Starkiller could have survived (still possible if they write it well enough) just so they could have a chance to flesh him out some more but not likely as he'd still have to die or give a valid reason for his lack of appearance in the EU after TFU (they still have yet to explain Kota's lack of being with the Rebellion, or even Juno for that matter).

As far as the over the top Force powers in the game I just don't see it. From things I've read in the novels to stuff I've seen in the Clone Wars cartoons there was nothing in the game that was over the line it what could be possible with the Force. The biggest thing Starkiller did was bring down the Star Destroyer but he wasn't able to stop it like they showed in that teaser. In my own opinion Starkiller was on par with Yoda and Palpatine in terms of power or at least could have been if he'd lived long enough and learned enough. So he wasn't the most powerful ever. GL has said the Anakin had the potential to be twice as powerful as Palpatine but after losing to Obi-Wan and getting stuck in the suit he was reduced to around 80% of Palpatines power (hence his never supplanting him). That's why he wanted Luke to help him. So if Starkiller was nearly as powerful as Palpy then I can see him managing to beat Vader. (whoever said Vader was invincible?)

Starkiller still ultimately lost to Palpatine (even after he had him beat, thanks Kota!). That's why evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. To quote Dark Helmet.
  5. harrison13 Jedi Knight

star 2

Yes, Lucas did have input in the game and it's considerd canon. But Haden Blackman was the writer. And all Lucas pretty much did is look at a list and approve/not approve something, that doesn't mean he wrote the story. Haden Blackman wrote it and you can tell that he's pretty inexperienced in telling a good StarWars story, imo.
    I don't think the game is trying to one-up the movies, it does however damage certain key points, like Anakin's redemption, Sidious being a genius mastermind,the effect of the darkiside on a person,ect.[/quote]

I would have preffered Vader to have been the final battle in the game, but I am ok with how it ended. I do not think this damages Sidious being a genius, rather it feeds the idea that he was too over confident.
  6. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I would have preffered Vader to have been the final battle in the game, but I am ok with how it ended. I do not think this damages Sidious being a genius, rather it feeds the idea that he was too over confident.[/quote]

Luke Skywalker said it best years later: "your over confidence is your weakness". SidPalp's childish retort to that was too lame to overcome that single fact, that his power in the Dark Side as well as his earlier successes had blinded him to his own fallibility.

7. jacenskylo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Could someone explain how to get all the lightsaber color crystals and the lightsaber hilts as well? Thanks, I really appreciate it.
  8. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    The only short answer to this is to complete all bonus and mission objectives per level. That does include finding all holocrons. For example, the black saber color is one you'll nab on the Death Star. Possibly the very last since getting to it is a bit tricky.

Um...there are no different hilts awarded as far as I know, other than those the apprentice might nab from fallen foes "off screen" as the game passes.
  9. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    Lightsaber hilts are in the Wii version
  10. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    The Lucas Licensing editors have gone on to say that TFU is a part of the canon universe, going so far as to produce a novel and graphic novel detailing the events of the game. That is fact. Whether or not you accept it as part of your own is entirely up to you, of course, but the official stance is that it is canon.
    ]]
    but..... what is canon, is what you are not expounding on. the events and characters are canon, however how powerful they are is not canon. its based on the person playing video games. this is why that until reven gets a novel we can never say how powerful he is. but since TFU has a book, unfortunetly the stuff in that book is now canon. since nothing contradicts it in the movies it is canon. even though its stuff.

No truncated swearing please.
  11. Count_Doodie Jedi Knight

star 2
    my friend suggested that i make a different cover. what do you guys think?
    [image=http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9990/tfuxboxsa3.jpg]
    -doodie
  12. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    That one is pretty sweet!
  13. Darth-Genocide Jedi Padawan

That's really great, Count Doodie! I like the addition of a live-action Vader. Adds a nice touch to it.
  14. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    You can say how powerful Revan is because he has a lasting legacy, he produced a holocron and other items used by Darth Bane to increase his power. Not to mention that pretty much everyone you speak to in KOTOR 2 wanted to have his babies because of how good a leader and tactician he was. I can't remember any other details, only played through kotor 2 twice.

Game mechanics aren't covered, how many troopers you defeat and how you do it, what route you take through the sewers, etc.
  15. maderic Force Ghost

star 3
    Great art! Would you mind if I modified this to be a PS3 cover?
  16. Count_Doodie Jedi Knight

star 2
    no i dont mind at all. i've made one for the PS3 but im not at my compter at the moment. i'll upload it for you on monday if you want me to.
    -doodie
  17. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    I like that a lot, great work!
  18. Count_Doodie Jedi Knight

star 2
    cheers for the positive feedback guys. here's the PS3 version for anyone who wants it.
    -doodie
  19. Jim_Palso Jedi Master

star 4
    I just beat the game for the PS2. I have two questions. First, does Kota (the Jedi general) live into and past ANH? Do we have any evidence that he survived through the Galactic Civil War? If he does survive, wouldn't that leave a question regarding Luke Skywalker and the Jedi Academy he would later form (Luke wouldn't be the last remaining Jedi then)?

And second, the credits show a voice for Luke Skywalker, but I never remember seeing Luke Skywalker in the game (or hearing his voice). Are there different routes to take in the game and or endings? Would that explain why I didn't hear or see Luke Skywalker in the game?
  20. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    As far as I know, Kota has only appeared in this game so far, so his history through the Galactic Civil War is unknown at this point. It is my assumption that he dies sometime during the war, or else Luke would have sought him out as a mentor.

And I've played through both endings and not seen Luke at all.
  21. sick_dawg6 Jedi Padawan

Is it true that this game has online gaming and when online, you can create your own character and monster?
  22. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    There is no online play.
  23. Jim_Palso Jedi Master

star 4
    How do you get the second ending? I had the one with Vader and then the Emperor to defeat last.
  24. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I imagine Kota will die, but there's already a number of Jedi other than Luke in the GCW as far as the EU is concerned.

Luke is in the multiplayer mode.
  25. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Wii players: For the Duel mode. How do you unlock the last character. I assume it is Mara Jade (since I've seen her in duel mode on demo vids online for the Wii) and that is who I want to Duel as. We've beaten the light side x 2 and the dark side x 1. Please help.

It wasn't obvious to me either. The last Big Boss on the last level. There are two bad guys in the room. The bigger baddie is the obvious choice and leads to the light ending. Turning instead to finish off the one that you just defeated leads to the Dark Side. Sorry for being a little vague, but it says no spoilers. PM me if its not clear enough. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.